Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS adds SFO-SNA/MSP/MCO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
AS bought E175s for Skywest, they are painted in Alaska's colors. Those are the one's being used for any Alaska flight operated by Skywest. I'm not sure how crew scheduling works, but the actual planes are operated separately from other carriers who also contract out flights to Skywest.
Regional crew who are located in bases with service for two or more of the majors can and do fly for all brands. In other words, if you're a SkyWest FA based in DEN, you might fly for UAX on DEN-MCI-DEN one day, then the next day for DCI on DEN-SLC-DEN. Sometimes the trips can be split up so that crew may work for two brands on the same trip (e.g. DEN-TUS on UAX, overnight, then TUS-SLC-DEN on DCI), but it's not common. Cabin crew have the same uniform but carry accent pieces (ties, scarves, etc.) for each airline, so an FA in these examples will have the same navy-black-ish jacket and pants but a red scarf for DL and that weird jumbled letter one for UA. I've been told that they also receive brand specific training for each of the majors for which they operate, though YMMV.

Planes are a little different story. Many of the regional carriers have aircraft purchased by the majors, but leased to, and operated by the regionals. I'm pretty sure SkyWest is one of the operators that owns most/all of its planes, including even the ones flown for AS. The dumpy 50-seaters change operators from time to time, but the nice new 76-seaters with the custom cabins seem to stay under the same brand for longer.

Last edited by char777; Dec 22, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mrapollinax
That makes sense, I just realized I've never seen any planes in "Skywest" livery all the time I've spent in airports. Really it came down to me thinking about how delays in SFO would be compounded by having one set of hardware fly more frequently. But based on this it is a moot point.

there used to be a few CRJ 200s and maybe 700s around painted in OO livery. They would turn up primarily at ORD, DEN and SLC and I think they got used by both UA and DL. They're mostly if not all gone now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.