Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Horizon E175 Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Horizon E175 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Looks like the second delivery N622QX is going to fly the inaugural PDX-STL run tomorrow https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n622qx

N623QX is the next delivery http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=623QX
send to be doing well, not bookable the next couple of days!
Old May 4, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
30 min. late into STL....maybe weather?
Old May 5, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
30 min. late into STL....maybe weather?
I think those times are off. Scheduled arrival is 1:54pm. We blocked into the gate at 2:00pm. Didn't have any weather en route but I think the tailwind was a bit less than what you'd normally encounter eastbound.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:38 pm

Just read that the E175 will be assigned to the Seattle to San Luis Obisbo route. But the PDX - OAK flights are still the old, loud, slow, crammed, wait-for-your-carry-on-bags-in-the-PDX-rain, no-water-in-the-bathroom-sink Q400s. Come on Alaska, San Luis Obisbo? Really? How about throwing Oakland a bone and bring back jet service?
Old May 5, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bofc
Come on Alaska, San Luis Obisbo? Really?
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=PDX-OAK,SEA-SBP

543 miles (PDX-OAK) vs. 847 miles (SEA-SBP), and the Q400 is considerably slower (414 mph cruise speed vs. 545 mph), which means flying a ~850 mile route considerably increases the block time for a SEA-SBP-SEA routing for a Q400 compared to a E75.

Does that help explain the reasoning?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 5, 2017 at 1:06 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 3:59 pm

PDX-OAK and PDX-SMF are obvious outliers in the Q400 network (long flight hub to large market). There are only a few longer Q400 routes, to much smaller markets (SEA-STS, SEA/PDX-BIL...) I guess they just feel they have a captive feed/FF base at PDX to fill an adequate number of seats and no interest beyond that in competing with Southwest at SMF/OAK. They're doing a bunch of advertising in the East Bay now, and not leveraging that at all by offering a competitive product at the East Bay's airport.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PDX-OAK and PDX-SMF are obvious outliers in the Q400 network (long flight hub to large market). There are only a few longer Q400 routes, to much smaller markets (SEA-STS, SEA/PDX-BIL...) I guess they just feel they have a captive feed/FF base at PDX to fill an adequate number of seats and no interest beyond that in competing with Southwest at SMF/OAK. They're doing a bunch of advertising in the East Bay now, and not leveraging that at all by offering a competitive product at the East Bay's airport.
Were you expecting AS to fly Q400s on SFO-ABQ or DAL-DCA and put the E75s on OAK-PDX instead?
Old May 5, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=PDX-OAK,SEA-SBP

543 miles (PDX-OAK) vs. 847 miles (SEA-SBP), and the Q400 is considerably slower (414 mph cruise speed vs. 545 mph), which means flying a ~850 mile route considerably increases the block time for a SEA-SBP-SEA routing for a Q400 compared to a E75.

Does that help explain the reasoning?
There are also shorter routes getting E175s - basically anything new is getting the new plane. If you've lived with a Q400 to now, you'll keep it until they start leaving the fleet. Nice for people on new routes, sucks for longtime customers on existing routes.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:12 pm

Were you expecting AS to fly Q400s on SFO-ABQ or DAL-LGA and put the E75s on OAK-PDX?
I expect them to try to compete at the biggest airports in California. Q400s have a sweet spot range and 543 mile flights is not it. AS said as much when they placed the E175 order ("E175s more economical on flights over 400 miles"). Fix that and then expand east.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Could have swore I Saw one in BNA on Tuesday but I did have a couple of cocktails in the Sky Club.
I'm sure it was a 737 and I was hallucinating.

Last edited by apodo77; May 5, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Old May 5, 2017, 5:37 pm

Adding insult to injury, this year the PDX-OAK flights are often priced high above PDX-SFO on AS and PDX-OAK on WN. It's not hard to find PDX-OAK on the Q400 priced higher than F on PDX-SFO. I see lots of advance $63 fares to SFO/SJC that are $117 to OAK. I don't recall such a noticeable discrepancy in the recent past. I've moved some flying to SFO and some to WN when PDX-OAK on QX is not remotely competitive.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Adding insult to injury, this year the PDX-OAK flights are often priced high above PDX-SFO on AS and PDX-OAK on WN. It's not hard to find PDX-OAK on the Q400 priced higher than F on PDX-SFO. I see lots of advance $63 fares to SFO/SJC that are $117 to OAK. I don't recall such a noticeable discrepancy in the recent past. I've moved some flying to SFO and some to WN when PDX-OAK on QX is not remotely competitive.
AS has to maximize profits over the entire network which now includes VX routes, not cater to whiny PDX fliers. I'm sure the OAK flights will be replaced with E175's within the next year or so -- once they get a critical mass of them.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
AS has to maximize profits over the entire network which now includes VX routes, not cater to whiny PDX fliers. I'm sure the OAK flights will be replaced with E175's within the next year or so -- once they get a critical mass of them.
Their right to make the business decision to put E175s on other routes first, my right to complain about it
Old May 6, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
I'm going to guess "ucd" is "University of California- Davis" and it's actually "whiny OAK flyers".

I expect them to try to compete at the biggest airports in California. Q400s have a sweet spot range and 543 mile flights is not it. AS said as much when they placed the E175 order ("E175s more economical on flights over 400 miles"). Fix that and then expand east.
As for why AS is prioritizing E75s at SFO and SJC over OAK...well, if it wasn't apparent from their acquisition of a hub at SFO and work at making a focus city in SJC... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old May 6, 2017, 12:53 pm

I'm going to guess "ucd" is "University of California- Davis" and it's actually "whiny OAK flyers".
Half correct. That is the origin of the username (a long time ago) but PDX-based now commuting to OAK.

As for why AS is prioritizing E75s at SFO and SJC over OAK...well, if it wasn't apparent from their acquisition of a hub at SFO and work at making a focus city in SJC... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They could prioritize SFO/SJC and put E175s on PDX-OAK at the same time. 3x E175s to OAK is no addition of capacity. It would be a perfectly logical, conservative thing to do if they want to give people a reason to choose AS over WN. Spending a lot of money on advertising in the East Bay and then not offering a competitive product at the East Bay's airport seems like not an ideal business strategy. But as I said above, that's their prerogative just like it's my prerogative to complain about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.