Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Horizon E175 Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated Horizon E175 Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:52 am

So dredging this thread up from the bowels of FT for a little news regarding STS. The airport manager said in the latest minutes from the Sept. meeting, he was scheduled to meet with AS in Seattle on Nov. 2 regarding 2018 and E175 operations as well as requesting a second flight to SAN.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:52 am

From pilot forum:

Horizon 2018 fleet plan finalized
13 more E175s to be delivered, 15 Q400s to be retired
Nov. 29, 2017

As Horizon Air plans to resume E175 deliveries starting in March, it’s also time to say goodbye to our Q400s as we begin phasing some of our turboprops out of the fleet.

E175 deliveries will resume in March, with 13 jets scheduled to be delivered in 2018.
Currently, the fleet plan calls for the delivery of 13 more E175s and the retirement of 15 Q400s through 2018, leaving us with 37 Q400s and 23 E175 jets by the end of next year. With another 10 E175s scheduled to join the fleet in 2019, that would give us a fleet of 70 aircraft, 10 more than today. We also hold options for another 30 E175s. Future Horizon fleet needs and retirements beyond 2018 continue to be examined.

The retirement of some of our Q400s will provide a number of benefits:

Reduced maintenance costs: Despite much effort and many gains made in this area since bringing the aircraft on in 2001, the Q400 remains an expensive aircraft to maintain.
More service, more revenue: E175 jets will make up a large portion of the fleet, allowing Horizon to offer three classes of service and increase revenue.
Level playing field: We will be better matched with competitors, many of which are using multi-cabin jets in head-to-head markets that previously had only turboprops or smaller, single-class jets.
Younger fleet: More than half of our Q400s joined the fleet over a decade ago. The new fleet mix will bring an overall younger fleet.
“Generally, our bias will be to retire the older units, which includes scheduled lease returns,” says Jerry Gundlach, fleet and finance manager.

The 15 oldest Q400s in our fleet (N400-N414) are all leased, with the remaining 37 owned by Horizon. Those 15 leases will all expire in 2018. Some of those leases may be extended, and some we may let expire and return the Q400 to the lessor.

The company has hired a remarketing agent to help us find potential buyers for the owned aircraft. There are some countries that we can’t do business with due to U.S. sanctions, but for the most part, this will be a worldwide sales effort.

N418 and N419 were the first two Horizon Q400s to be retired. They were removed from the operating fleet last month and are currently parked at our Portland Ops Center.

Prep work involved
The first two retired Q400s, N418 and N419, were removed from the operating fleet last month. They’re currently parked at our Portland Ops Center.

“If a buyer doesn’t come forward soon, we’ll put them in storage in a dryer climate like Arizona or California,” says David Heath, managing director of engineering.

Retirement plan evolves
When Horizon’s “Commit to Compete” initiative was launched in 2015, the original plan was to eventually decrease the number of Q400s in our fleet by at least 20, starting in 2017, as we brought on regional jets. With the acquisition of Virgin America in 2016 (and corresponding need for more regional feeder traffic in California), that plan was revisited and the retirements were delayed.
Before any Q400s leave the fleet, Horizon’s Maintenance and Engineering team prepare the aircraft for sale. This includes a number of maintenance tasks, plus removing proprietary equipment and anything with the Horizon or Alaska logo, and collecting all aircraft records. The exterior logos will also be painted over, but not until the aircraft is set to go to its new owner.

“For aircraft we’re selling, we’ll move engines and props around so we avoid unnecessary maintenance costs on equipment we’re selling,” Heath says. “For the owned aircraft, we also want to make sure we don’t give away our best engines. For lease returns, the aircraft must meet all lease conditions, so there might be more maintenance tasks and we’ll need to put the original engine and props back on it.”

Aircraft that end up going to a dry storage program would also require a few preservation tasks ahead of such a move.

All of this prep work is done in addition to other necessary maintenance work on the rest of the fleet. The M&E team has budgeted roughly a month of out-of-service time for each aircraft before it’s officially removed from the fleet.
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/h...-jets-285.html
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:55 am

Will we see anything new from spring-summer with E175 deliveries or will it just be backfilling lost service for a while?

Pretty sparse listing for new 2018 service so far (although SJC-DAL isn't listed for some reason) https://www.alaskaair.com/content/route-map
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Will we see anything new from spring-summer with E175 deliveries or will it just be backfilling lost service for a while?

Pretty sparse listing for new 2018 service so far (although SJC-DAL isn't listed for some reason) https://www.alaskaair.com/content/route-map
Answering my own question, at least by May 24 there's a new Q400-to-E175 route. PDX-OAK goes back to Q400 March 11-May 23 then, finally, E175 full time. No update on SMF-PDX yet.

Last edited by ucdtim17; Jan 14, 2018 at 8:05 am
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Alaska MileagePlan MVP
Answering my own question, at least by May 24 there's a new Q400-to-E175 route. PDX-OAK goes back to Q400 March 11-May 23 then, finally, E175 full time. No update on SMF-PDX yet.
looking forward to the end of the whining about this route being run with Qs. the e175 is a superior product, sure, but the whining was getting old.
jinglish and DrAlex like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:36 am

And correcting my own post, E175 starts May 20, not 24. TBD how much I'll actually use it, as for many days they're pricing OAK $50 more than comparable SFO flights (and WN flights). Last summer there was often this large discrepancy between PDX-OAK and PDX-SFO flights. So I'll miss the 737 with the same fares as SFO.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:13 am

RNO-SEA also going mostly E175 May 20
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Does the OO E75 differ from a seating perspective to Horizon's? I have a flight on OO from SFO-SNA and am currently in the second row of premium, but was wondering if the "bulkhead" has a wall or is like AS planes with seat storage underneath. And if there is a preferential choice between row 6 or 7.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by safari ari
Does the OO E75 differ from a seating perspective to Horizon's? I have a flight on OO from SFO-SNA and am currently in the second row of premium, but was wondering if the "bulkhead" has a wall or is like AS planes with seat storage underneath. And if there is a preferential choice between row 6 or 7.
There is no difference between QX and OO E175 seating. I'd for sure go for row 6 since there is a small curtain for the bulkhead giving row 6 lots of legroom and under-seat storage, definitely nab 6A/C/D if possible. 6B does not have under-seat storage and the legroom protrudes into the aisle since the seat configuration changes from F.

Google also can produce some great images and all AS E175s should be the same!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, AS MVP Gold
Does anyone have any details on the schedule for E175s servicing STS airport? It seems that the SAN flight is regularly an E175 now, but from LAX I only see an occasional trip up and back on Friday afternoons.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Over at APC, noticed a mention that the final 3 E175's were cancelled.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/2...-post3757.html
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:56 pm

The three cancelled E175's are Skywest birds. Most recent information I can find has Horizon still getting all of its E175's. Final count should be Skywest 32-Horizon 33
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
The three cancelled E175's are Skywest birds. Most recent information I can find has Horizon still getting all of its E175's. Final count should be Skywest 32-Horizon 33
Are those still on schedule, or being pushed back?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL FO
I flew on QX for the first time on August 31 of this year. My flight was on N633QX, which the flight attendant told me was relatively brand new, from PDX-ONT. Service was great for a 9 p.m. flight. Got two rounds of the snack basket, and two rounds of drinks.

Last edited by psa727; Sep 9, 2019 at 3:06 pm Reason: include words
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by psa727
I flew on QX for the first time on August 31 of this year. My flight was on N633QX, which the flight attendant told me was relatively brand new, from PDX-ONT. Service was great for a 9 p.m. flight. Got two rounds of the snack basket, and two rounds of drinks.
I've found the QX service in First on the E75 to be outstanding - some really friendly F/As, many of whom seem to be veterans (unusual for a regional) who are still excited about providing the F service and not going through the motions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.