Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Do You Book Flights With AS That Show Phantom Availability?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:07 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

Trying to book partner award flights with my miles. After entering all my information and getting to the final payment screen, it returns an error.

So I phone up the partner award desk. They say there is availability, they try to book, and after about 20 minutes come back that it can't. So we try different days, it looks promising, then after 20 minutes more typing, waiting etc. nothing. An hour down and no luck.

Online shows availability, but at payment no availability. Phone they say its available, but then it returns an error.

And I have this problem when booking AA, Delta, BA, Cathay, Emirates, Hainan.

Any suggestions? Any tips to weed out what is phantom and what might actually be bookable. Anythings I can suggest an agent can try?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: HH Silver
If you give more detail such as origin, destination, and approximate dates I think you might get more accurate advice and help.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:28 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I was trying to book SEA-PEK on Hainan in August, it was returning
Space on partner flights cannot be confirmed. Please change the dates, cities, or flights of your original request. -1620
A few months ago, I tried booking Emirates for two LAX-DXB and it returned an error as well.

Sorry, bit of a rant maybe then more of a question, but frustrated with availability showing online, and I start trying to coordinate vacation time with the wife, only to find its not bookable online, and the partner desk wasn't able to search very efficiently or even book what they thought they saw as available.

I called the partner desk again this morning 7:15 am, but it just gave me a blank empty phone line so I presume they are not open until later today, so will try again. Just looking for advice as its frustrating seeing availability but not able to complete the transaction.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Were you trying yesterday? MP was down for half the day, which could've contributed to the problem, but it was back up by late afternoon.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Phone reps use the same website for booking as we do so calling wont make a difference
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kieron
Were you trying yesterday? MP was down for half the day, which could've contributed to the problem, but it was back up by late afternoon.
Yes I was trying yesterday, however I am getting the same error message today too!
Originally Posted by CDKing
Phone reps use the same website for booking as we do so calling wont make a difference
I called Mileage Plan partner desk at 8:00 (I guess that is when they open) and they are seeing as available but it keeps coming back negative when they try to purchase too. The benefit of calling Mileage Plan is that you don't have to enter your credit card information, so they can put a request in even before you enter your credit card, so it is a little quicker at eliminating phantom space / or whatever the reason space shows on Alaska Air, but won't return as bookable.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Not the first time I've seen a thread on this and/or experienced it myself.

Is this issue being brought to the attention of some person/department who will do something about it? Agents just saying 'sorry I see the same thing' and then not passing it upchain is rather legacy airline-like.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Not the first time I've seen a thread on this and/or experienced it myself.

Is this issue being brought to the attention of some person/department who will do something about it? Agents just saying 'sorry I see the same thing' and then not passing it upchain is rather legacy airline-like.
No not really going back to when this started on EK awards. AS doesn't care.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
I am trying to book LAX-DXB on Jan 23 in First Class

Expert Flyer and Alaskaair both show availability but I can't book it online or by phoning in.

Any advice on how to book this award?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I had the exact same issue booking Hainan last week. Tried a couple of different days (sun/mon) and no matter what I did, I could never get it to book. Called the partner line and they were zero assistance. Just about had given up and tried again friday evening, and it booked right away.

Only suggestion I have is to try again on a different day...
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Yes and no. Reps have both booking system and website. Their system will show similar things compared to the website for most partners' awards booking, except CX. You need to call the reservation line in order to secure CX J or F. If that rep doesn't see the space, try alternative dates, still can't see it? say thank you and hang up. Call again at different times will yield different results. Happy hunting!!!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by smilee
Trying to book partner award flights with my miles. After entering all my information and getting to the final payment screen, it returns an error.

So I phone up the partner award desk. They say there is availability, they try to book, and after about 20 minutes come back that it can't. So we try different days, it looks promising, then after 20 minutes more typing, waiting etc. nothing. An hour down and no luck.

Online shows availability, but at payment no availability. Phone they say its available, but then it returns an error.

And I have this problem when booking AA, Delta, BA, Cathay, Emirates, Hainan.

Any suggestions? Any tips to weed out what is phantom and what might actually be bookable. Anythings I can suggest an agent can try?
Can you give us specific dates, booking class, and the partner you'd like to book on?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:12 pm
ls

Programs: MR PLT, HLT DIA
got the same error when trying to book a hainan ticket with AS...very disappointed.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 12:47 am

I have been trying to book an award ticket LAX-XMN/PVG/HKG/TPE for the last three days. I tried all those airports, and on KE, JL, HU. Same error message. This is the first time I am booking their international partners with miles. Very frustrating.
Old May 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by InTheShed
I have been trying to book an award ticket LAX-XMN/PVG/HKG/TPE for the last three days. I tried all those airports, and on KE, JL, HU. Same error message. This is the first time I am booking their international partners with miles. Very frustrating.
first time for me to book international partner with miles as well...tried many times on an award ticket from Seattle to Beijing (Hainan airlines) to no avail due to same error. called customer service and after 20 mins, CSR encountered the same error. not happy with Alaska.

error message:

The request was not successful. See the red message(s) below. Space on partner flights cannot be confirmed. Please change the dates, cities, or flights of your original request.

To continue, shop again for other fare and flight options.If this problem continues, please call 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522) for other fare and flight options.

Last edited by coolguy100; May 30, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.