Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:25 pm

I wonder what's the cutoff between Asia and southeast Asia, maybe Hong Kong?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Thanks for the good news, missydarlin. ^
+1. Thanks.

This are same as CX - not bad.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by crimsona
I wonder what's the cutoff between Asia and southeast Asia, maybe Hong Kong?
I would guess it goes along with the "Asia 1"/"Asia 2" entries in JAL's own award charts - though presumably excluding Delhi in their Asia 2 region for AS awards, unless that didn't make it onto the website.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Kieron
I would guess it goes along with the "Asia 1"/"Asia 2" entries in JAL's own award charts - though presumably excluding Delhi in their Asia 2 region for AS awards, unless that didn't make it onto the website.
My guess too especially seeing its a 1:1 match for miles needed for JAL program as AS program for Asia 1-2 (I only looked at F)
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I'm seeing awards pop up in search now! Yay!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Kieron
And +5000 OW/+10000 RT at all levels to Southeast Asia. Looks like those are the only trans-Pacific routes available: no awards to Australia/NZ, which is unsurprising, and none between Hawaii and Japan, which is.
I was hoping (but not expecting) that Japan-Europe would be there. Oh well.

Now if only JL would put AS codeshares to YVR and LAX from PDX on their online booking tool and add EUG, all of my remaining AS/JL Christmas wishes would be checked off.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Madone59
+1. Thanks.

This are same as CX - not bad.

JL is 10k more in biz.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Am I first to make a booking? No F space the day I was looking. I can't decide if I should do a what the heck F booking and just fly Y back. Of course make sure its ex NRT for some Waygu
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Here's the award chart:

Japan Airlines
Class of Service | One-way | Round-trip
Continental U.S. to Asia

Coach | 35,000 | 70,000
Premium | 40,000 | 80,000
Business | 60,000 | 120,000
First | 70,000 | 140,000

Continental U.S. to Southeast Asia
Coach | 40,000 | 80,000
Premium | 45,000 | 90,000
Business | 65,000 | 130,000
First | 75,000 | 150,000

I just wish they had included Australia as a region like they have with CX since JL has great availability down to Australia (US - TYO/HND - SYD would've been a killer option).

Being able to book directly via AS website though is a huge win - especially vs. AA where a call is required though undoubtedly this will allow those with AA an easier time to find JL award space (versus the arduous BA / JL method)
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I'm seeing awards pop up in search now! Yay!
And it doesn't look like there are any fuel surcharges. ^
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
No awards from Hawaii, or just not up yet? If the former, it's a significant missed opportunity for AS customers here.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by WrightHI
No awards from Hawaii, or just not up yet? If the former, it's a significant missed opportunity for AS customers here.
Nope, JL awards say "continental US".

We probably need an award wiki thread (and hopefully not two of them that are duplicative, like CX).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 6, 2016 at 5:09 pm
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:06 pm

Anyone able to find first-class award space on JL? I've tried searching from SEA, YVR, and LAX to TYO but the highest I've found is business class partner at 60K OW.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rosch
Anyone able to find first-class award space on JL? I've tried searching from SEA, YVR, and LAX to TYO but the highest I've found is business class partner at 60K OW.
Yes - I've seen it from JFK.

Example:

December 12th
Old Dec 6, 2016, 5:19 pm
Suspended

So.....any reason to pay more to fly JL as opposed to CX? (If both are available).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.