Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

Good news arrived via email early this morning - a new partner:
Alaska Airlines Welcomes Japan Airlines as newest Mileage Plan and Codeshare Partner

New global partner gives Alaska frequent flier members travel and mileage accrual to Japan and throughout Asia.

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines and Japan Airlines (JAL) have announced plans for a codeshare agreement and frequent flier partnership, which will provide seamless travel and mileage earning opportunities between Alaska’s gateways in North America, Japan and throughout Asia.

From the West Coast, JAL flies nonstop between Tokyo and Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Vancouver, B.C. and between Los Angeles and Osaka. JAL also offers an extensive network within Japan and throughout Asia.

With the new codeshare agreement, to take effect June 29 pending government approval, customers flying on Alaska Airlines and JAL will enjoy:
Seamless reservations and ticketing
One-stop check-in, baggage checked to final destination
Smooth flight connections
The ability to earn miles on the other airline and outstanding customer service
“As a premium Japanese airline, JAL is a great addition to Alaska’s line-up of high-quality global partners, giving our Mileage Plan members more ways to earn and redeem miles for travel from the West Coast to Japan and beyond,” said Andrew Harrison, Alaska’s executive vice president and chief commercial officer. “For the first time, our members will be able to earn and redeem miles within Japan, taking advantage of 600 daily flights on JAL’s broad domestic network.”

Harrison said the new partnership will especially benefit the airline’s customers in the state of California, who can take advantage of JAL’s nonstop flights from the Bay Area, L.A. and San Diego. Alaska Airlines will provide connections via its expansive network of feeder flights across California, Oregon, Idaho and Washington. From California alone, Alaska has over 1,200 weekly departures. Customers in the Pacific Northwest can also make easy one-stop connections to JAL flights via Vancouver, B.C. and California.

“We are pleased to offer our customers more routes and destinations with our new partner Alaska Airlines,” said Hideki Oshima, JAL executive officer, international relations and alliances. “The new cooperation also allows JAL to strengthen its presence throughout the Pacific Northwest.”

Members of Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan will be able to begin earning miles on JAL early this summer. Redemption for award travel will begin later in 2016. JAL’s codeshare will be on Alaska Airlines routes from JAL’s California gateways, plus Vancouver.

JAL operates a modern fleet of Boeing 777-300ERs and 787-8s from North America to Japan. The carrier boasts four classes of service in its 777-300ERs: economy, premium economy, business and first class. JAL’s business and first class service feature private suites, 23-inch LCD monitors and Asian-inspired cuisine and beverages. JAL SKY SUITE was named Best Business Class Airline Seat by Skytrax in 2013 and the JAL SKY WIDER seat in its economy cabin was recognized for Best Economy Class Airline Seat in 2015.

About Japan Airlines

Japan Airlines (JAL) was founded in 1951 and became the first international airline in Japan. A member of the oneworld® alliance, the airline now reaches more than 305 airports in 51 countries and regions together with its codeshare partners with a modern fleet of more than 220 aircraft. JAL Mileage Bank (JMB), the airline's loyalty program, has reached over 30 million members worldwide. Awarded the most punctual major international airline in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2015, JAL is committed to providing customers with the highest levels of flight safety and supreme quality in every aspect of its service, and aims to become the most preferred airline in the world.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: MVP Gold 75k, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
This is awesome news. My wife and I are in Tokyo right now on vacation and we're trying to figure out how to come back Ina few years with the kids on miles in business. This means no more being stuck on Delta awards!!! JAL has great award space too!!!!
Old May 10, 2016, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I saw the email. So crazy. Another airline that I can use from Logan to asia. Sadly I already booked 2 asia flights on AA in the fall. Maybe I'll hop on a jal flight too if there is a good promo.jal and aa combos have been coming up on Google flights at decent prices so I'm excited.

Now I just hope there aren't any non earning fares. I assume it will have some 50% earning fares. Hopefully nothing less

Last edited by CDKing; May 10, 2016 at 5:33 am
Old May 10, 2016, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Fantastic addition, one I had been wishing for for a lot of years.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
I saw the email. So crazy. Another airline that I can use from Logan to asia. Sadly I already booked 2 asia flights on AA in the fall. Maybe I'll hop on a jal flight too if there is a good promo.jal and aa combos have been coming up on Google flights at decent prices so I'm excited.
Same here
Looks like AS is moving closer to OneWorld?
Old May 10, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Same here
I don't think this in and of itself is enough to draw that conclusion. Being the "premier West Coast airline" now, they need to beef up service Japan directly somehow, and NH wouldn't be the optimal choice (*A/non-*O/non-*S), leaving UA (ha!), DL (2x ha!), and JL (woo!). Being a *O may simply be a happy coincidence.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Wow great news. I'm thrilled!
Old May 10, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Another great way to Australia if they'll allow the award.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Sounds like the fat lady for the DL/AS breakup is warming up; they needed another partner for TYO and Asia if DL is out of the picture...
Old May 10, 2016, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Flew them back from Japan two months ago. Exciting development, but I hope MVPG comes with an arctic pass. The cabin was too flippin' warm.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great news!!!! SAN-NRT here I come
Old May 10, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
As someone with a YVR-NRT-ITM RT reservation for November, this has me very excited.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll have to keep an eye on space. I'm still looking for a positioning flight for my EY+EK trip in October. Hopefully we will be able to book awards before then.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Same here
We need Qatar as the next partner. They have had some excellent prices to Asia from BOS.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Awesome! I'd expect JAL to jump into PDX-NRT when delta leaves now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.