Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I see a dead bush on a beach...
Wait i thought it was a picture of the JAL redemption partner page oh wait it is barren wasteland. I know I probably shouldn't post here without real news since that gets peoples hopes up
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
Wait i thought it was a picture of the JAL redemption partner page oh wait it is barren wasteland. I know I probably shouldn't post here without real news since that gets peoples hopes up
Ok, a bite: Is Tumbleweed not a metaphor for the airtraveler roadwarrior, tumbling through airspace wasteland, spreading his "spores" wherever he lands?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:48 pm

Sorry I haven't been following this thread closely. But I tried to see if I could redeem my AS miles online for travel on JAL next spring. Got nothing. Was wondering if it'd do any good to call the Partners Desk. But then I skimmed through the last couple pages of this thread, and it seems like JAL redemption is not even in effect. So no use calling Partners Desk, right?

How can they not get this thing together 7 months after the announcement?

Even if JAL redemption kicks off, I have no hopes of actually being able to use it. I've had all these AS miles that I haven't been able to use at all ever since DL cancelled SEA-HND. For a guy who primarily travels between SEA/YVR and Asia, AS miles are completely useless. AS has partnerships with all these TPAC carriers, and yet there are hardly any saver award redemptions. This is why Mileage Plus and Star continue to be so much better, so much more flexible (at least for my purpose).
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by evergrn
For a guy who primarily travels between SEA/YVR and Asia, AS miles are completely useless. AS has partnerships with all these TPAC carriers, and yet there are hardly any saver award redemptions. This is why Mileage Plus and Star continue to be so much better, so much more flexible (at least for my purpose).
Try Hainan. They fly SEA-PEK-HND.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:57 pm

Try Hainan. They fly SEA-PEK-HND.
I don't even see Hainan come up when I do the search for SEA-Jpn on AS. Tried a few different dates, too.

Even if Hainan did come up, I think I'd almost rather choose SEA-LAX-TYO using AA (which I wouldn't do either). I've just heard bad things about Hainan's ground customer svc and about transiting in China.

This is the thing. With UA, I can easily get SEA-NRT nonstop on NH, YVR-TYO nonstop on NH or AC, SEA-SFO-HKG on UA... all saver award. With AS, the only thing I see most of the time are crazy roundabout routing like SEA-LAX-TYO on AA, SEA-MSP-TYO on DL, or SEA-ICN-TYO on KE but only if the ICN layover is overnight.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:03 pm
Suspended

I don't even see Hainan come up when I do the search for SEA-Jpn on AS. Tried a few different dates, too.

Even if Hainan did come up, I think I'd almost rather choose SEA-LAX-TYO using AA (which I wouldn't do either). I've just heard bad things about Hainan's ground customer svc and about transiting in China.

This is the thing. With UA, I can easily get SEA-NRT nonstop on NH, YVR-TYO nonstop on NH or AC, SEA-SFO-HKG on UA... all saver award. With AS, the only thing I see most of the time are crazy roundabout routing like SEA-LAX-TYO on AA, SEA-MSP-TYO on DL, or SEA-ICN-TYO on KE but only if the ICN layover is overnight.
Try again.
A simple month long search for e.g. October 2017 reveals many options. For example SEA-PEK-HND, 10/19 in J, 50k miles + $250.
Or for example: SEA-LAX-HND, 10/18 in J with AS, DL.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:27 am

Try again.
A simple month long search for e.g. October 2017 reveals many options. For example SEA-PEK-HND, 10/19 in J, 50k miles + $250.
Or for example: SEA-LAX-HND, 10/18 in J with AS, DL.
You are bringing up results 10months out, in Oct when travel to Jpn is at the lowest of off-peak. Plus, as mentioned before, I'm not interested in Hainan via PEK. Also not interested in roundabout routing like SEA-LAX-TYO or via DFW, MSP, etc. With respect to Hainan, most of the results I do see with them is 60,000 miles + $500 fee... that to me, is really more like a bad dollar+miles deal rather than a true saver award.

Using UA miles, I just booked NH nonstop HND-YVR for end of July, which is peak travel season. AC nonstop was available, too. Ditto for SEA-NRT. Just about every option is available with UA miles for my dates this spring.

Anyways, I don't mean to sidetrack from the topic. I basically just chimed in to vent a little bit and to ask if it's worth my time trying to call Partners Desk about redemption on JAL.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Anyways, I don't mean to sidetrack from the topic. I basically just chimed in to vent a little bit and to ask if it's worth my time trying to call Partners Desk about redemption on JAL.
I'd send AS an email. This way they have a paper trail on the frustration MP members are experiencing.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd send AS an email. This way they have a paper trail on the frustration MP members are experiencing.
^@:-) Even if it feels like they're ignoring it right now, they can't claim "we didn't know; no one ever said anything".
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
That's a good idea. I think I'll do that when I get a chance.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:26 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
JL redemption is expected to be turned on later today. The award charts have been updated.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by missydarlin
JL redemption is expected to be turned on later today. The award charts have been updated.
Thanks!

Continental U.S. to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000
Old Dec 6, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Thanks!

Continental U.S. to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000
And +5000 OW/+10000 RT at all levels to Southeast Asia. Looks like those are the only trans-Pacific routes available: no awards to Australia/NZ, which is unsurprising, and none between Hawaii and Japan, which is.

I can't yet tell whether the intra-Asia awards make that distinction - if "Asia to Asia" includes routes like HND-SIN, that's not a bad price.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Online or phone call? IIRC AA is phone call so I'm not sure if its the same.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

Thanks for the good news, missydarlin. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.