Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AS
SEA/ LAX. 452 10:40 departure. Lunch

PDB. Bottled water

Creamy rice with grilled vegetables with breadstick. Side salad with Caesar dressing. Packaged brownie .

Rice flavored with onion and mint, kind of a risotto wannabe. Mixed greens salad was fine.
Pretty solid vegetarian lunch, for those who have requested more non meat meals.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
OO E175 STL-PDX

Water bottle at seat, no other PDB.

Hot towel and warmed nuts offered before meal.

Meal was a salmon caeser salad with a warm breadstick and the packaged lemon square. I'm not a salmon fan so I asked if it would be possible to have the salad without the salmon and the FA obliged. To say the meal was anemic would be putting it kindly. I think there were about 14 pieces of romaine and 5 croutons. The plates with salmon didn't look much better. No snack basket. We were over 4 hours in the air with a 350p departure time - this is awfully weak.

I'm not holding out hope but I'd really like to see our E175s come with enough storage to have actual glassware. After flying an Envoy E175 earlier in the day out of an outstation with a real mug for my coffee and glasses for drinks, plastic cups on a 4 hour flight just doesn't cut it. The F FA also had to raid the Y cart of liquor as she ran out of several up front. Apart from the constraints placed on the crew, their service was good.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by SOCguy
OO E175 STL-PDX

Meal was a salmon caeser salad with a warm breadstick and the packaged lemon square. I'm not a salmon fan so I asked if it would be possible to have the salad without the salmon and the FA obliged. To say the meal was anemic would be putting it kindly. I think there were about 14 pieces of romaine and 5 croutons. The plates with salmon didn't look much better. No snack basket. We were over 4 hours in the air with a 350p departure time - this is awfully weak.

I'm not holding out hope but I'd really like to see our E175s come with enough storage to have actual glassware. After flying an Envoy E175 earlier in the day out of an outstation with a real mug for my coffee and glasses for drinks, plastic cups on a 4 hour flight just doesn't cut it. The F FA also had to raid the Y cart of liquor as she ran out of several up front. Apart from the constraints placed on the crew, their service was good.
Those are all good points, thanks for sharing. I hope you will consider an Alaskalistens.com contact.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
OO E175 STL-PDX

I thought I read awhile back something about the fact that the snack basket was not going to be served on mid-cons like STL-PDX or SEA-ORD. Despite the fact that everyone raves about the E175, it is still a regional jet that doesn't have the storage capacity you would find on the 737 so despite Alaska's best efforts at trying to create the same soft product experience, you're not going to always get the same level of catering that you would get on a 737 and we already know these flights are unable to store the inflight tablets. Flying home from MCI, if I'm in F, I'll always choose the 737 flight via SEA instead of the nonstop on the E175...the extra EQMs helps with the decision too
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:10 am

OO E175 STL-PDX

Storage space is a finite thing. On AA they probably had enough space to store glassware because they lack ovens. Please do let them know about the poor food quality. It's unfortunate that they can't provide a hearty salad on this flight.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Storage space is a finite thing. On AA they probably had enough space to store glassware because they lack ovens. Please do let them know about the poor food quality. It's unfortunate that they can't provide a hearty salad on this flight.
I don't think I've ever had salmon on an AS flight which is a bit surprising given that they have a huge painted salmon on one of the 737s....and yes, unlike polenta and kale, I actually like salmon so hopefully it shows up on my plate in F sometime Speaking of food, do you know if the west coast/mid-con breakfast still includes a pastry (danish)...someone upthread reported it was missing from their breakfast but I assume it was a catering error and not a change in food service.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
As 315 sfo-sea

AS 315, SFO-SEA
10/3/16
4pm Departure

Had this same salmon caesar salad offered and had the same anemic portion...not really worth the effort. Did have the salmon and it was not very good...3 or 4 tiny cubes of what must be some canned pink salmon?

Would be a decent snack if there were more than 10 pieces of lettuce on the plate....otherwise service was fabulous with drink orders taken on the ground. FA indicated it was her first time in F on her own and I think she did better than many crews of two. :-)

OO E175 STL-PDX

Meal was a salmon caeser salad with a warm breadstick and the packaged lemon square. I'm not a salmon fan so I asked if it would be possible to have the salad without the salmon and the FA obliged. To say the meal was anemic would be putting it kindly. I think there were about 14 pieces of romaine and 5 croutons. The plates with salmon didn't look much better.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I don't think I've ever had salmon on an AS flight which is a bit surprising given that they have a huge painted salmon on one of the 737s....and yes, unlike polenta and kale, I actually like salmon so hopefully it shows up on my plate in F sometime Speaking of food, do you know if the west coast/mid-con breakfast still includes a pastry (danish)...someone upthread reported it was missing from their breakfast but I assume it was a catering error and not a change in food service.
I'm not sure about the pastry. I don't think it's included midcon but I don't do many of those.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by meej
3 or 4 tiny cubes of what must be some canned pink salmon?
Interesting; it had a good bit of salmon when I had it, far more than 3 or 4 tiny cubes. (Can't remember all of the specifics; it was a redeye and the melatonin had kicked in by the time they started service.)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
10/2 AS 830 HNL-SJC

Appetizer
Tuna poke with wakami salad and sriracha mayonnaise

Entree
Green curry chicken with Japanese eggplant and steamed rice

OR

Beef filet with chimichurri, green pea risotto and sliced carrots

Dessert
Chocolate ganache tart with raspberry sauce

The appetizer was good, but the it was not poke. The tuna was cooked. Fine, but not as advertised.

I had the Japanese curry, which was excellent (these sorts of dishes tend to reheat well on a plane). Mild flavor, chicken was breast meat, overall a nice dish. Companion had the beef, which was overdone, dry and inedible. She did not eat it and then got a coach meal she was happy with.

Dessert was very nice -- chocolate was very rich, and raspberry sauce was almost a raspberry puree. A couple pax passed on dessert and was tempted to ask for seconds, but decided to be good and not do that.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I thought I read awhile back something about the fact that the snack basket was not going to be served on mid-cons like STL-PDX or SEA-ORD. Despite the fact that everyone raves about the E175, it is still a regional jet that doesn't have the storage capacity you would find on the 737 so despite Alaska's best efforts at trying to create the same soft product experience, you're not going to always get the same level of catering that you would get on a 737 and we already know these flights are unable to store the inflight tablets. Flying home from MCI, if I'm in F, I'll always choose the 737 flight via SEA instead of the nonstop on the E175...the extra EQMs helps with the decision too
I have to disagree, AA's E175 have enough storage to offer 2 meals and glassware. Now could it be that the ovens are taking valuable space?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Way back when AS served real meals I had roasted salmon on a LAX-SEA flight and it was cooked perfectly.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Way back when AS served real meals I had roasted salmon on a LAX-SEA flight and it was cooked perfectly.
I had really, really good salmon on a SJC-PDX dinner flight many, many moons ago.

I miss those days.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
10/2 AS 830 HNL-SJC

Appetizer
Tuna poke with wakami salad and sriracha mayonnaise

Entree
Green curry chicken with Japanese eggplant and steamed rice

OR

Beef filet with chimichurri, green pea risotto and sliced carrots

Dessert
Chocolate ganache tart with raspberry sauce

The appetizer was good, but the it was not poke. The tuna was cooked. Fine, but not as advertised.

I had the Japanese curry, which was excellent (these sorts of dishes tend to reheat well on a plane). Mild flavor, chicken was breast meat, overall a nice dish. Companion had the beef, which was overdone, dry and inedible. She did not eat it and then got a coach meal she was happy with.

Dessert was very nice -- chocolate was very rich, and raspberry sauce was almost a raspberry puree. A couple pax passed on dessert and was tempted to ask for seconds, but decided to be good and not do that.
I'm not familiar with poke, but was it not suppose to be cooked? I personally wouldn't have eaten it if it were raw....yuck.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA1K
I'm not familiar with poke, but was it not suppose to be cooked? I personally wouldn't have eaten it if it were raw....yuck.
poke is raw sushi grade ahi or salmon. there may be other variations as well. i for one, love poke. i go to bear flag fish co in newport beach all the time. excellent poke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.