Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
How to find out what the meal service will be for a specific Alaska Air flight:
1) On the website, use the "Explore" tab and select "Flight Schedules" from the left-hand side of the drop-down menu.

2) Plug in your city-pair and your week of travel, and the site will pull up all of the Alaska Air flights for that week.

3) Find your flight number on the list. From there you can see what's offered for the meal service. There are two columns corresponding to first class and coach.
A) In first class the codes are (B-breakfast; L-lunch; D-dinner; S-snack).

B) For coach the section may be blank (meaning beverage service and for-purchase cold snack-packs). Or it may show "F" or "F,F" to indicate there are other items for purchase on longer routes like a cheese plate, or in some cases the Beecher's breakfast sandwich or one of the Tom Douglas items.

What *specifically* is offered in first class for B, L, D, or S is the source of much discussion in this thread.
Sometimes a S (snack) will seem more substantial than what's offered as L (lunch). That's where searching this thread can be of assistance.

As near as I can tell for the coach section:
Blank = snack packs only;
"F" = snack packs and cheese plates offered;
"F,F" = snack packs, cheese plate, plus one other item on offer.
Please feel free to edit if that assumption is not correct.
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2016 edition)

Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by tusphotog
12/24 PHX-PDX 7a flight: choice of granola or that waffle thing.

12/26 PDX-PHX 730p flight: wasn't in F, but I overheard the culinary delight they served. It was chicken thigh meat and pasta. The 75K chocolate was available in Y, but took a little bit of effort for the FA to "find" it.

is is that how the FA described it? Chicken thigh meat and pasta? LOL
Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP
AS 531 BUR-SEA 12/31

Substandard breakfasts out of Burbank continue. Note that I flew in F on LAX-SEA last week, and had the normal west coast breakfast (waffle, sausage, fruit). That flight also had a choice of hot / cold breakfast.

Today - no choices, just a breakfast sandwich.
Attached Images   
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by northwesterner
AS 531 BUR-SEA 12/31

Substandard breakfasts out of Burbank continue. Note that I flew in F on LAX-SEA last week, and had the normal west coast breakfast (waffle, sausage, fruit). That flight also had a choice of hot / cold breakfast.

Today - no choices, just a breakfast sandwich.
As I understand it, there are no reasonable catering options in BUR. They could probably have LSG drive food from the LAX kitchens to BUR to cater the airplane at a substantially higher fare. They could also probably cater it in the same way they do in CHS, LIH and KOA - using local restaurants... also at substantially higher costs. The airplane is catered in SEA the previous night and the food is kept in a chilled cart until the following morning. I think the food options are limited given the resulting circumstances. I'm not aware of another airline that caters food in BUR. I thought about American, but I don't think they even fly there anymore - I wonder what they do from places like Fresno, where there also aren't kitchens. I'd be interested in knowing what other airlines offer from similar airports when they have an RON flight but no catering options for the morning flight out. I wonder if a decent cold breakfast option would be preferable to the sandwich currently offered.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
As I understand it, there are no reasonable catering options in BUR. They could probably have LSG drive food from the LAX kitchens to BUR to cater the airplane at a substantially higher fare. They could also probably cater it in the same way they do in CHS, LIH and KOA - using local restaurants... also at substantially higher costs. The airplane is catered in SEA the previous night and the food is kept in a chilled cart until the following morning. I think the food options are limited given the resulting circumstances. I'm not aware of another airline that caters food in BUR. I thought about American, but I don't think they even fly there anymore - I wonder what they do from places like Fresno, where there also aren't kitchens. I'd be interested in knowing what other airlines offer from similar airports when they have an RON flight but no catering options for the morning flight out. I wonder if a decent cold breakfast option would be preferable to the sandwich currently offered.
Other airlines, at airports with limited catering facilities, usually just do a cold breakfast offering.

The breakfast sandwich was fine, as was the breakfast burrito I had in October. Its just a big difference from the standard west coast AM fare.

American is serving BUR with CRJs from PHX operated by Mesa, I believe these have first class.

There are some United Express E-175s that appear in Burbank as well ... I believe these also have an F cabin.

I wonder what Alaska does with the PDX flights on Skywest E-175s... there isn't much room in the galley to double cater, and the evening southbound flight, at least, gets a full dinner.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:33 pm

I flew SJC-SEA and the breakfast was a bowl of fruit, yogurt w/granola and a small danish. Much more food than what was pictured above and nothing requires heating apart perhaps from the pastry. Not sure why they couldn't just load that in Seattle and offer it on round-trip catered flights out of BUR. It just seems cheap to me to offer a sandwich and nothing else.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:40 pm

Other airlines, at airports with limited catering facilities, usually just do a cold breakfast offering.

The breakfast sandwich was fine, as was the breakfast burrito I had in October. Its just a big difference from the standard west coast AM fare.

American is serving BUR with CRJs from PHX operated by Mesa, I believe these have first class.

There are some United Express E-175s that appear in Burbank as well ... I believe these also have an F cabin.

I wonder what Alaska does with the PDX flights on Skywest E-175s... there isn't much room in the galley to double cater, and the evening southbound flight, at least, gets a full dinner.
Skywest double caters all their flights to outstations from their hubs/focus cities so I imagine they double cater these flights too. The galley space is really limited but they squeeze it in somehow. The real squeeze is in the ovens. They're really small ovens, which is why Skywest currently serves warm sandwiches in First Class - it's the only thing that they can reasonably fit in the ovens at this point. I've heard that AA and UA don't have ovens on their E-175's so I imagine they serve a cold meal. I think, done right, a nice cold breakfast with a warm pastry would be received much better.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I flew SJC-SEA and the breakfast was a bowl of fruit, yogurt w/granola and a small danish. Much more food than what was pictured above and nothing requires heating apart perhaps from the pastry. Not sure why they couldn't just load that in Seattle and offer it on round-trip catered flights out of BUR. It just seems cheap to me to offer a sandwich and nothing else.
Agreed. It looks cheap. I think a nice, cold meal like you described would be more appreciated. I hope there will be some First Class upgrades in the future - that was my Christmas wish Well, that and world peace.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Agreed. It looks cheap. I think a nice, cold meal like you described would be more appreciated. I hope there will be some First Class upgrades in the future - that was my Christmas wish Well, that and world peace.
And bring back the "small plates" service
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
12/30/16
AS #657
SAT-SEA

Warm nuts

Side salad w/vinaigrette dressing
Cheese ravioli
Zucchini squash slices

Two cookies: One chocolate and one that was some sort of cranberry cookie (always find it odd that the obvious choice, chocolate chip, never seems to show up as an option on AS flights)

Great service by the FA in F! I was hoping for a meal without sweet potatoes, kale, or polenta and thankfully, my wish came true The ravioli was absolutely delicious and the zucchini was an excellent compliment....yum! I guess the only thing that would have made it even better would be the addition of some type of bread product, like a dinner roll. I was spoiled by my previous two AA flights in F where you have a choice from the bread basket. Over-all, excellent meal for a mid-con flight.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
As I understand it, there are no reasonable catering options in BUR. They could probably have LSG drive food from the LAX kitchens to BUR to cater the airplane at a substantially higher fare. They could also probably cater it in the same way they do in CHS, LIH and KOA - using local restaurants... also at substantially higher costs.
AS is the only airline to offer meals out of BUR, AA and UA all have RJ's out of BUR these days, UA dumped the Mikey express flights between BUR and MCO. But AS should be able to offer something more then what they currently are? Many Oat meal as a second option?

both AA and UA have CRJ's, I can't believe UA has a BUR-DEN flight on all things CRJ-200!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Mods I'm starting a new thread don't see one yet
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:01 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Hello Everyone, PV has stated, please continue the discussion in the 2017 thread here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ht-2017-a.html

ryandc99, Moderator Alaska Airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.