Search
Old Apr 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
New Thread with 738 Fleet Tracking

739 thread with fleet tracking

Original Press Release

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
Seats in the Premium Class section will have at least 35" of pitch, compared to 31" to 32" in the rest of the main cabin. To make room for the Premium Class while maintaining pitch in the main cabin, Alaska will reconfigure and reduce the number of seats available on some aircraft. Also, pitch in the First Class cabin will be increased from 36" to 41" providing a significantly enhanced experience for those customers.

Code:
 Model     Fleet count       Current seats           Reconfigured cabin
 (First class/Main cabin)(First class/Premium class/Main)

737-800       61               16/147                    12/30/117

737-900/900ER 77               16/165                    16/24/138

E175          15               12/64                     12/12/52
737-800s: Rows 6-10 are Premium
737-900/900ERs: Rows 6-9 are Premium

All 737-800s have been converted. 737-900s now in work. All aircraft to be complete by end of 2017.

Snack Box info from AKCuisine and Post 514:

3" x 3" x 2" box weighing in at 2.17 ounces. It's also "locally sourced - which translates to "Distributed by Oakfield Farms Solutions LLC, Grapevine, Texas."

Inside the box is 1.16 oz of Craisins (110 cal); 0.63 oz of unsalted almonds (100 cal); and a 0.375 oz square of Ghirardelli chocolate (50 cals) - total, 260 calories.
Print Wikipost

Premium Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by ASMan
When will the first newly configured aircraft be rolled out?
All too soon.

Seriously, I have heard they will start appearing early next year.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
As far as the PE config, the E175s already have the first three economy rows designated as Preferred Plus with extra legroom. They won't actually have to modify the aircraft interior unless they're changing F on the Embraers too.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by jinglish
As far as the PE config, the E175s already have the first three economy rows designated as Preferred Plus with extra legroom. They won't actually have to modify the aircraft interior unless they're changing F on the Embraers too.
I doubt they're changing F on the E175s. The 12F/64Y 76-seat configuration that most US carriers use is already a low-density configuration due to 76-seat scope clauses; I assume (but don't know) that AS can't go to more seats. They certainly could physically be configured as 9F/68Y (which would be a more typical F/Y ratio), but most airline pilot contracts don't allow 77-seat planes to be operated by regional affiliates. Again, I don't know specifically about AS, but the fact that they chose 12F/64Y with the initial delivery suggests that 76 seats is their limit unless there's some other reason they chose that premium-heavy configuration.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:24 am

September 2016.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Putzy
September 2016.
Putzy, are you in the game and know the roll-out date for a fact? Or is it still just speculation?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Putzy, are you in the game and know the roll-out date for a fact? Or is it still just speculation?
That's the date that's been communicated internally for quite awhile now. Suspect if that were to change, we'd have heard by now.

Actually, it may well have been publicly communicated as the roll-out was initially planned for this fall but was delayed. In fact, it was only the selling of the seats that was delayed, the aircraft mod schedule hasn't changed.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Both Putzy and SOCguy (among others) provide solid reliable information
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Has anyone heard anything firm about the soft product for Premium? They mentioned "amenities" in their announcement; I'm hoping those amenities involve fruit and cheese on flights > 2 hours.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kufat
Has anyone heard anything firm about the soft product for Premium? They mentioned "amenities" in their announcement; I'm hoping those amenities involve fruit and cheese on flights > 2 hours.
That would be awesome, but I highly doubt the "amenities" will include much in the area of soft products....my guess is that everyone in these rows will receive a free alcoholic beverage similar to what MVPG/75Ks receive. I've always wished for a free food item in place of the beverage for those of us who don't drink, but even that never happened (other than the small chocolate bar that you typically have to ask for). I think it will be more like E+ on UA where the biggest difference (and essentially what you're paying for) is the extra legroom and perhaps priority boarding.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Putzy
September 2016.

That's in a few weeks so although I hope it happens, the reality of the matter is that I doubt we'll see any seating changes until 2017. Ever since the big announcement of premium economy last year, there has been virtually zero publicity about this new product which leads me to believe that we're not at all close to a full roll-out and I don't blame them given the fact that I'm sure they have their hands full with the VS acquisition. Honestly, I'm excited about the extra legroom in F and Y+, but I'm very apprehensive about how this will affect AS elites and their access to premium economy.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think it will be more like E+ on UA where the biggest difference (and essentially what you're paying for) is the extra legroom and perhaps priority boarding.
You're probably right, but we can still hope it'll be more like C+ on DL, where you at least get free premium snacks (similar to the AS snack basket, IIRC) and actual food on a few transcon routes.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
That's in a few weeks so although I hope it happens, the reality of the matter is that I doubt we'll see any seating changes until 2017. Ever since the big announcement of premium economy last year, there has been virtually zero publicity about this new product which leads me to believe that we're not at all close to a full roll-out and I don't blame them given the fact that I'm sure they have their hands full with the VS acquisition. Honestly, I'm excited about the extra legroom in F and Y+, but I'm very apprehensive about how this will affect AS elites and their access to premium economy.
Bear in mind, we're talking about upwards of 120 airframes here. The seat modifications don't happen overnight to be ready for a morning launch of the product. The mods will start this fall as has been the plan all along. So beginning sometime in September and until the program is officially launched, you'll either travel on or hear of others traveling on aircraft that have already been modified. The soft product will not roll out until after the new year so until then, it'll be a seat with more legroom. This was communicated to employees long after the VS acquisition was announced.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SOCguy
Bear in mind, we're talking about upwards of 120 airframes here. The seat modifications don't happen overnight to be ready for a morning launch of the product. The mods will start this fall as has been the plan all along. So beginning sometime in September and until the program is officially launched, you'll either travel on or hear of others traveling on aircraft that have already been modified. The soft product will not roll out until after the new year so until then, it'll be a seat with more legroom. This was communicated to employees long after the VS acquisition was announced.
I know the F seat map on the -800s is already starting to show just 3 rows, but has there been any noticeable change in the Y seat map? I'm just wondering if there will be a lot of last minute seat assignment changes this fall for those that booked a pre-mod aircraft but got a post-mod aircraft on the day of departure.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
That would be awesome, but I highly doubt the "amenities" will include much in the area of soft products....my guess is that everyone in these rows will receive a free alcoholic beverage similar to what MVPG/75Ks receive. I've always wished for a free food item in place of the beverage for those of us who don't drink, but even that never happened (other than the small chocolate bar that you typically have to ask for). I think it will be more like E+ on UA where the biggest difference (and essentially what you're paying for) is the extra legroom and perhaps priority boarding.
An alcoholic beverage is already included in their "Preferred Plus seating" for all customers in the first row of economy and exit rows. Since May 2015, any person allocated a seat in Row 6 and exit rows get priority boarding, free drink, and extra legroom. Most people just aren't aware of the priority boarding perk and free drink. As a 75k, I always am in these seats when I don't get upgraded and I have never once had a flight attendant proactively offer me the free drink because of my seat choice. Its only after I order that no payment is requested and they keep moving down the aisle. If they are going to add more rows with additional leg room and call it Premium economy, they should make the soft product much better or its still just preferred plus in the end. I think a "delta comfort plus" soft product policy would be the best with the snack basket (in the least) and unlimited drinks. And for those that want a hot meal and more leg room and space, then First will be the right choice.

Last edited by wanderlust4life; Aug 26, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kufat
You're probably right, but we can still hope it'll be more like C+ on DL, where you at least get free premium snacks (similar to the AS snack basket, IIRC) and actual food on a few transcon routes.
I too hope for increased food options like C+ on DL although if AS adopts the complete DL C+ model, we're also going to get the headaches our DL friends are complaining about over on the DL forum....like C+ being treated as a separate class/cabin with an upgrade list and folks being auto upgraded into a C+ middle seat from an exit row aisle. Those are issues not experienced when UA rolled out E+ although like I said earlier, it was primarily a hard product change.

Whatever happens, my suggestion for all AS elites is to book as many 2017 trips as possible and lock in those seat assignments in-advance of the 2017 premium economy sales roll-out because it's highly likely that your ability to secure the first few rows (especially row 6) at booking for ALL fares will be going away. My guess is that those who have already locked in seat assignments for what becomes premium economy will be able to keep those seats unless there is a major schedule change of some kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.