Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchased Miles Mystery Bonus Offer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by dchen2
My account with mainly SPG transfer and BOA Visa earnings show 40%. My sister's account that's been dormant for the last couple years also showing 40%. If I had 50% I would have bit.

Interesting physiology experiment here for Alaska/Points.com. I'm certain they know virtually no one is going to buy at 35%, and only a few is going to buy at 40%.

I guess their intention is the 35-40% is a bone thrown to the people not lucky enough to get the 50% bonus but I think it does more harm than good.

Meh, I'll pass. I already loaded up on the lifemiles bononza last month so I have 250k miles to burn there.
Wrong. Most points buyers are not points-afficianados who know the value of a point, but regular folks to whom 35% can also appear to be a good deal.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Wrong. Most points buyers are not points-afficianados who know the value of a point, but regular folks to whom 35% can also appear to be a good deal.
Even to regular folk, would it appear to be a good deal when all the verbiage around the promos extoll the 35-40-50 and you know you got the least good 35?

Everyone to their own, you may well be right.

Not to sound ungrateful, I'm still happy Alaska is offering these promotions as a way to get CX/EK premium cabin awards at a substantial discount to revenue prices.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Star alliance
Even to regular folk, would it appear to be a good deal when all the verbiage around the promos extoll the 35-40-50 and you know you got the least good 35?

Everyone to their own, you may well be right.

Not to sound ungrateful, I'm still happy Alaska is offering these promotions as a way to get CX/EK premium cabin awards at a substantial discount to revenue prices.
Any idea how long it takes for the miles to show up in an acct after purchase?
I know there are those who aren't thrilled by receiving an offer of 35% but depends on what it's used for..if all works out, I've saved 41.48% off a revenue round trip on EK so I see that as a win
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I guess their intention is the 35-40% is a bone thrown to the people not lucky enough to get the 50% bonus but I think it does more harm than good.
It would only be harmful to people who somehow find a way to take it personally if they get the minimum bonus. Those people exist, but they're far more rare than those who say "hey, 35% is way better than 0%" and end up either buying, or going away without disappointment.

Either way, the marketing strategy did its job: It got the customers into the shop.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by hamzeus
Any idea how long it takes for the miles to show up in an acct after purchase?
I know there are those who aren't thrilled by receiving an offer of 35% but depends on what it's used for..if all works out, I've saved 41.48% off a revenue round trip on EK so I see that as a win
Instantly.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Instantly.
Thanks Bonaventure. Been close to 24 hours and it shows up on my cc online so just sent the mileage plan an email asking what the hold up was.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by hamzeus
Thanks Bonaventure. Been close to 24 hours and it shows up on my cc online so just sent the mileage plan an email asking what the hold up was.
My bro and I got 50%. I bought 60 x 3 times. Miles are not showing up in my account as well. Should I wait for a few days?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mbfanos
My bro and I got 50%. I bought 60 x 3 times. Miles are not showing up in my account as well. Should I wait for a few days?
With other airlines I've bought from where they used Points.com to process the transactions, it took a couple days sometimes to show up. I always wonder why they use a middle man than process themselves. Would also count for airline spend that way
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by AwardBee
With other airlines I've bought from where they used Points.com to process the transactions, it took a couple days sometimes to show up. I always wonder why they use a middle man than process themselves. Would also count for airline spend that way
Totally agree. When AA still used Points.com, it took me a day or two to get the miles also.
I'll wait then
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mbfanos
Totally agree. When AA still used Points.com, it took me a day or two to get the miles also.
I'll wait then
Purchased 29ok miles; 209k showed up in 24 hours. Still missing the last 81k.
Received email confirmation on all the transactions so assuming the last batch should be in the account later today
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
From what it seems... You can use the offer more than once... Thinking of buying 20K at the moment too top off my account, then buy the 60K in a couple weeks.. Found a couple EK F tickets for a buddy and I, and just want to grab them while I can... Therefor the 20K needed.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
RDU-based MVP and BofA credit card holder here.

Got the 50% targeted offer for the credit card over the summer and bit. Got 50% again with this promo.

Not sure if there is any link there but I will be biting again at 50%.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kauppias
Only 40% for me
Same here. Bad deal.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by ryan754
From what it seems... You can use the offer more than once... Thinking of buying 20K at the moment too top off my account, then buy the 60K in a couple weeks.. Found a couple EK F tickets for a buddy and I, and just want to grab them while I can... Therefor the 20K needed.
You'd be better off buying 40k and 40k, rather than 20k and 60k.

Assuming you got the 50% bonus offer ...

The top level bonus only kicks in at 40k miles purchased. The difference is 35% at 20k purchased vs 50% bonus miles at 40k purchased, so 20k + 7k bonus vs 40k + 20k bonus.

-David
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You'd be better off buying 40k and 40k, rather than 20k and 60k.

Assuming you got the 50% bonus offer ...

The top level bonus only kicks in at 40k miles purchased. The difference is 35% at 20k purchased vs 50% bonus miles at 40k purchased, so 20k + 7k bonus vs 40k + 20k bonus.

-David
Not to thrilled about my experience with the mileage purchase so far.

Purchased 290k miles last Monday, one week later I only have 209k in my account and my cc statement has the full charge of 290k miles.
I contacted Alaska Air mileage program and they said they will try to solve this with the points company.

My question: are they any other options to get these miles in or do I wait for Alaka and the points to solve this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.