Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cookies for Breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
From what's been reported by AS Flyer and the food thread here on FT, Hawaii red-eyes (after 9pm) get a small fruit and cheese plate and trans con red-eyes like SEA-BOS get a small sandwich and side side (both similar flight times although different snacks...weird). I think the fruit/cheese plate or sandwich/salad is a good option for those flights, but for the shorter late night flights, it might be nice to offer the warm mixed nuts along with the cookie....you're still not offering a full meal or even a full snack, but sometime a tad more substantial.

I still wish AS would post first class meal guidelines on their website...the information currently posted is the most general and least informative of any major airline I've seen that offers first class meal service. They know exactly what's going to be served on every flight for the entire month--it's information they already know--just make it available.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I think that as long as they are selling the fruit & cheese plate in back, First Class should at least get a small fruit plate option, or even the fruit & cheese platter. Its just a nice touch, and if no one in first takes it, then you'll have a fairly hyper flight crew.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by pacman3
Seriously, Indeleware? Perhaps I am from a different generation, but when I fly F class (which I do exclusively as I am old!) I expect service in addition to an additional 4 inches of pitch and 3 inches of seat width. The state of the domestic system is truly pathetic for those of us who have the means to pay (again, read 'old') for what, for the rest of world, is simply a given.
Does anyone actually purchase domestic F tickets? Most - if not - everyone in the first class cabin on domestic flight in the US is there because of:

upgrade type of coach fare purchased
upgrade based on FF status
involuntary upgrade
airline employee travel
travel on an award ticket

I suppose the rare occasional person might actual purchase F, as David Hannum said, "There's a sucker born every minute."
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by BillScann
I flew SFO–PDX–ANC in F yesterday evening and the only catering up front was a saucer upon which was placed:

- 1 (one) Pale Cookie.
- 1 (one) Dark Cookie.

I was told that "outside of meal times" that it was cookies for one and cookies for all we few, we lucky few, at the front of the bus.

AS can do better than this.
I experienced the identical thing LAX to YVR in January. Must admit it took me by surprise too.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Aug 1, 2015 at 4:30 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:12 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Does anyone actually purchase domestic F tickets?
Absolutely. Go read the complaining from the DMs on the DL board about how FCM has taken away their upgrades. On my AS SMF-OGG flight last month, 15/16 people paid (miles or $) for F. I was the only upgrade and only elite on the flight.

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I experienced the identical thing LAX to YVR in January. Must admit it took me by surprise too.
Considering the only LA-YVR flight leaves after 9p, do you honestly expect a full meal on a 2.5 hour flight? They don't even sell the full meals in Y--just the picnic packs and cheese plate.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:26 pm

I see that you're also members of Air Canada and WestJet's frequent flyer programs. Do they serve something more in their First Class cabin on this route at flights leaving at the same time?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Does anyone actually purchase domestic F tickets?
Absolutely. Go read the complaining from the DMs on the DL board about how FCM has taken away their upgrades. On my AS SMF-OGG flight last month, 15/16 people paid (miles or $) for F. I was the only upgrade and only elite on the flight.

Considering the only LA-YVR flight leaves after 9p, do you honestly expect a full meal on a 2.5 hour flight? They don't even sell the full meals in Y--just the picnic packs and cheese plate.
I would, but I guess I'm in the minority.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:38 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I see that you're also members of Air Canada and WestJet's frequent flyer programs. Do they serve something more in their First Class cabin on this route at flights leaving at the same time?
Yes, typically, AC would provide something like a sandwich or a cheese and fruit plate on a 2.5 hour flight in J in my experience (27 years on AC) it's pretty much independent of the time of day. You might even get an OK breakfast/, lunch or dinner if the timing is right AND there is competition on the route.

I've flown A LOT of WS YVR-YWG and return this year (my cross to bear). That's a 2.5 to 3 hour flight. In Y its all buy on board and its been offered on every flight - early or late. In Eco plus (the closest they offer to J) the BOB is offered free.

The 2 cookies on AS surprised me because I was thinking ....why bother? By the time they've put the 2 cookies on a plate, put the plate on a tray (with a napkin) and put the tray on the plane, the incremental cost of providing a sandwich and a salad would likely be small. it would also be more nutritious - which was my key concern at the time.

I just thought it was a bit odd to offer 2 cookies. It's never happened to me on a plane before or since.

I agree that it would be good to know how each flight is catered. If I know it's going to be 2 cookies, I'll find something in the airport before-hand if I feel I need it.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
Hmmm....Indeleware, if people (like me, personally, or corporate) didn't actually purchase F class fares on domestic flights, do you think F class would still exist? To satisfy 'upgrades', 'frequent flyer redemptions', etc.? Wow! Airlines rely on people who have the means ('suckers' as you refer to them) for whom a couple thousand dollars to travel return PDX to the East Coast is just what is expected. But a "cookie" as service in F - irrespective of time of day - is simply pathetic. Shame on Alaska.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Hmmm....Indeleware, if people (like me, personally, or corporate) didn't actually purchase F class fares on domestic flights, do you think F class would still exist? To satisfy 'upgrades', 'frequent flyer redemptions', etc.? Wow! Airlines rely on people who have the means ('suckers' as you refer to them) for whom a couple thousand dollars to travel return PDX to the East Coast is just what is expected. But a "cookie" as service in F - irrespective of time of day - is simply pathetic. Shame on Alaska.
If you're not a fan of the cookie then don't purchase F fares with AS outside of the meal service window. When I book paid F fares, I try to find the ideal times and flights with meal service.

Personally, I'd rather have the cookies instead of the "breakfast boxes" that AA has been giving out on the transcon redeye flight to MIA. Absolutely disgusting.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
If you're not a fan of the cookie then don't purchase F fares with AS outside of the meal service window. When I book paid F fares, I try to find the ideal times and flights with meal service.

Personally, I'd rather have the cookies instead of the "breakfast boxes" that AA has been giving out on the transcon redeye flight to MIA. Absolutely disgusting.
Or we can let AS know our dissatisfaction so they can work to improve meals.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AS MVP
When one pays an F fare, who'd expect the person to search for times that would allow for something other than a couple of cookies. Think of what you're saying, man!!! Truly something I wouldn't have expected.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
When one pays an F fare, who'd expect the person to search for times that would allow for something other than a couple of cookies. Think of what you're saying, man!!! Truly something I wouldn't have expected.
+1 zillion. You'd think that a simple prewrapped sandwich along the lines of what LH and BA serve-up in coach for their late night or morning flights would be doable for AS F domestic.

I think expecting actual food in F every flight is not reasonable.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by BillScann
+1 zillion. You'd think that a simple prewrapped sandwich along the lines of what LH and BA serve-up in coach for their late night or morning flights would be doable for AS F domestic.

I think expecting actual food in F every flight is not reasonable.
You're comparing int'l carriers to AS? Not a fair comparison. Let me know if there's another domestic carrier that offers a meal (even a sandwich) on a two/three hour flight after 9PM.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 2:24 am

When you know domestic airlines don't offer meals in F depending on the time and distance, you become more picky with the flights you choose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.