Wiki Posts
Search

Cookies for Breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Cookies for Breakfast?

I flew SFO–PDX–ANC in F yesterday evening and the only catering up front was a saucer upon which was placed:

- 1 (one) Pale Cookie.
- 1 (one) Dark Cookie.

I was told that "outside of meal times" that it was cookies for one and cookies for all we few, we lucky few, at the front of the bus.

AS can do better than this.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Long trip without anything to eat. Did they at least have food for sale?

That said, I always stick one of these into the carryon for long flights.

Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I guess cookies could qualify as a snack. What happened to the cheese plate outside of meal times in F. Is it gone?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by BillScann
I flew SFO–PDX–ANC in F yesterday evening and the only catering up front was a saucer upon which was placed:

- 1 (one) Pale Cookie.
- 1 (one) Dark Cookie.

I was told that "outside of meal times" that it was cookies for one and cookies for all we few, we lucky few, at the front of the bus.

Are you talking about the 11p departure to ANC? I would agree, it would be nice to see something more - maybe a snack basket or cheese plate, but that's WAY beyond the time most people eat anything substantial at their own homes. Eating at that hour would be primarily for the purpose of having something to do while you're sitting there. I'll admit, my perspective is different, but I think they should put that money into making the actual meals during meal time more substantial and better and just axing any attempt at food service past 930p or so. As I said though, my perspective is different.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Does someone know the current definition of "meal times?"
I looked on the website and couldn't find the info.
Thanks
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Are you talking about the 11p departure to ANC? I would agree, it would be nice to see something more - maybe a snack basket or cheese plate, but that's WAY beyond the time most people eat anything substantial at their own homes. Eating at that hour would be primarily for the purpose of having something to do while you're sitting there. I'll admit, my perspective is different, but I think they should put that money into making the actual meals during meal time more substantial and better and just axing any attempt at food service past 930p or so. As I said though, my perspective is different.
Of course if you are crossing time zones, 11 PM may feel like meal time, and the meal served at a "standard" meal hour may not be the right timing. Providing an option for something in first class to me seems better from a service standpoint. The passenger can always decline food (if any) that is offered.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by drseagrass
Of course if you are crossing time zones, 11 PM may feel like meal time, and the meal served at a "standard" meal hour may not be the right timing. Providing an option for something in first class to me seems better from a service standpoint. The passenger can always decline food (if any) that is offered.
What time zone though? 11pm on the west coast is 2am on the east coast, 10pm in Alaska and either 8pm or 9pm in Hawaii. 11pm really isn't a normal meal hour for most people in the U.S. It's hard to make the argument that they're serving breakfast, lunch or dinner somewhere in the world. If you want to use that logic then how do you ever know whether to serve breakfast, lunch or dinner. You need a baseline at some point and, in my own opinion, the most logical baseline is that of the city you're departing from.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

- 1 (one) Pale Cookie.
- 1 (one) Dark Cookie.

Evening flights? What does this have to do with breakfast....to be fair, if you look at the meal service section of your itinerary, neither flight shows meal service so not sure why a meal was expected...the food thread is very clear about the fact that it's cookies only outside of meal times. If you would have taken the daytime flights to ANC, you would have received TWO meals

I was on a cookie flight from LAX-PDX and noticed two passengers asked for the fruit and cheese plate, but they were charged which I know it TECHNICALLY the policy, but I still find it tacky...especially when so many don't charge when they are suppose to.

A final note...welcome back AS Flyer....you've been rather quiet lately And speaking of quiet, what happened to Missydarlin??
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 2P
Eating at that hour would be primarily for the purpose of having something to do while you're sitting there.
I can see why you might have that perspective, but many of us who travel for business work right up to the time we need to go and grab our flight and what we eat in the air might be all we have all day.

Originally Posted by drseagrass
Exactly. Particularly if you're flying up front, you'd think that the airline could serve something more substantial than a cookie.

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Evening flights? What does this have to do with breakfast....
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Evening flights? What does this have to do with breakfast....to be fair, if you look at the meal service section of your itinerary, neither flight shows meal service so not sure why a meal was expected...the food thread is very clear about the fact that it's cookies only outside of meal times.?
+1. Not uncommon for airlines to offer snacks (chips/cookies/etc.) during certain flights in F. If you're not happy with the snacks then book a flight that has meal service. This if if you were flying in paid F and didn't get a comp. upgrade. If you got a comp. upgrade then be happy you got a seat upfront.

BTW not sure how you mention "breakfast" on the title when you're referring to late evening flights. If this was an overnight redeye then it would make sense...
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:53 pm
Suspended

The other airlines I've been on domestically in first serve snack bins. I'd take two actual cookies over pre-packaged garbage. Do you really think that airlines in the modern age are catering food late at night that they'll just throw in the garbage?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:17 am

I can see why you might have that perspective, but many of us who travel for business work right up to the time we need to go and grab our flight and what we eat in the air might be all we have all day.
Im sorry but I just don't feel like it's an airlines responsibility to try to anticipate whether their travelers have missed a meal and need dinner at 11pm, except maybe in extraordinary circumstances. As a general rule, most people understand that a red eye flight (and arguably, a flight from PDX to ANC leaving at 11p meets that criteria) isn't going to have substantial food offerings. Airports offer lots of options as far as food for purchase. If you're checking in at the recommended time then you should be able to get something. If your dashing in at the last possible second then you've cut yourself short and that can't be anyone's responsibility other than your own.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Im sorry but I just don't feel like it's an airlines responsibility to try to anticipate whether their travelers have missed a meal and need dinner at 11pm, except maybe in extraordinary circumstances. As a general rule, most people understand that a red eye flight (and arguably, a flight from PDX to ANC leaving at 11p meets that criteria) isn't going to have substantial food offerings. Airports offer lots of options as far as food for purchase. If you're checking in at the recommended time then you should be able to get something. If your dashing in at the last possible second then you've cut yourself short and that can't be anyone's responsibility other than your own.
I actually like the warm cookies, but just wish they could BOTH be chocolate chip
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

- 1 (one) Pale Cookie.
- 1 (one) Dark Cookie.

I frequently am on the flight you describe - AS #143 PDX-ANC, the ~11 PM departure - and I respectfully disagree with you.

That hour of the night is not a meal time by any stretch of the imagination. Most of us who are on that late-night departure simply want to get in a nap after a long day ... getting warm cookies is just an extra naptime treat.

It's simple to check the Alaska Air Flight Schedule Page , plug in your departure and arrival cities, and find out whether a flight has a meal service in Y or F. It's clearly marked that there is no meal served on that flight - so why would you expect a breakfast of all things?

Good comments, ASFlyer. And with that 10:55 PM departure, a "meal" (if it existed) wouldn't show up until midnight or so.

There are terrific dining options in Portland and at the PDX airport, both inside and outside of security, and there are many carry-out options if people don't have the time to enjoy a sit-down meal.

I actually like the warm cookies, but just wish they could BOTH be chocolate chip
This is a comment that I can heartily agree with, PDXPremier. ^ ^ ^

Oatmeal raisin cookies that masquerade as chocolate chip are one of the reasons I have trust issues ...
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
And speaking of quiet, what happened to Missydarlin??
Probably sipping alcohol in a quasi-tropical location.

There is NEVER a wrong time of the day for cookies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.