Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNU-SEA RT $190! Amazing!!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by dave1013
Two possible reasons come immediately to mind: They must know something we don't, or; it's just another patch in the crazy quilt of their war-mongering strategy (which could be based on anything from eye-poking to forcing AS into an acquisition or other unsavory (to us) option).
Probably jealousy that AS is so well-liked and DL is a crap airline in comparison.

Being able to get to SEA and back for under $200 .... I haven't seen that in decades. This is probably just a summer promotion, but laissez les bon temps roulez! I think they are here (in JNU) to stay. SIT and KTN - perhaps not so much.
I'm amazed a market of ~33k people supports multiple mainline jet flights in the first place. There's no room for two carriers. One carrier with high prices is the only way mainline jet service works in a place like JNU.

Also, DL's 6:00 a.m. nonstop to SEA this fall - is a big deal. We'll be able to get to the east coast without having to overnight. There are elites in Juneau that have been fantasizing about this for a long time, and hope it becomes a permanent service. It will be interesting to watch the loads and see if AS provides a like option. That flight is going to impact flyership on flight 60. How much remains to be seen.
First of all, anyone in AK probably just goes straight to alaskaair.com anyway, but if they do shop around, they might go on DL once, realize how crappy it is compared to AS, which is a fantastic carrier, and then go back to AS anyway. So any damage will be temporary, as people are reminded how bad DL is.

Originally Posted by Chugach
The people who run DL aren't idiots. And if you look at the big picture, their expansion into SE AK and FAI follows a trend of airlines "discovering" the AK (meaning ANC) market over the last several years. B6's growth at ANC (now up to four flights per day this summer) is a prime example; I also remember when B6 first started ANC everybody predicted it would be a disaster for them...sound familiar?
I'm not sure so sure of that. DL has no identity. They are trying to be everything for everyone, and in the process move a lot of pax with no identity, and no focus. They just sort of diddle around in this and that, and seem to have no focus. They are stretched thin, yet are a massive airline.

ANC is a lot more understandable. Cruises end at Seward and people bus up, people visit Denali, and 300k people actually live there. JNU makes no sense. JNU, FAI, and all the smaller destinations are in AS's domain, and don't have enough of a market to support a second jet carrier.

Now if I'm DL, sitting in my office and strategizing about this SEA expansion, I'd want to find high-fare, high-LF routes with minimal competition that have strategic importance to SEA, and the Alaska routes fit that bill. Specific to JNU (and to an extent SIT), I'd bet you a beer they analyzed AS' existing schedules to SEA and figured out there was a hole on early morning departures that they could exploit. Long story short, they didn't wind up in JNU because that's where the dart landed. They identified a weakness in existing service and made a plan to fill that gap to their benefit. Hence my comment above that the people who run DL aren't idiots.
A hole? They are out of their element going into AS's home turf. AS has a much better brand, and is doing really well in the lower 48. And then DL decides to invade their home turf? That just seems dumb. I'm just trying to figure out how they will even market flights to AK. Anyone who knows AK doesn't go to Orbitz or Travelocity or whatever, they go straight to alaskaair.com to book fights into AK, bypassing anyone else.

SIT and KTN...I'll be interested to see how those two develop for DL. KTN actually didn't surprise me at all. It's so darn close to SEA with so much summer tourist/fishing traffic it was inevitable before someone put 2+2 together and put a RJ on it to peel off some traffic.
Who in their right mind is going to fly on some sh*tty little regional airline CRx when they can go on an AS 737?

I don't fly DL a whole lot as they don't fly nonstop or direct from ANC to where I usually need to go, but I definitely appreciate them for showing up to compete in Alaska.
DL should stick to what they know. I'm not too concerned about it though. AS will keep serving those markets. They served them before DL started their little experiment, and they will serve them after DL gets distracted by something else and leaves. And their lower 48 transcon service is way better than DL or anyone else anyway if you're headed to the PNW or Hawaii, so there's that too.

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
If Alaska was smart, they'd swap the 737 with an EMB 175 and offer a flight that mirrors Deltas. Otherwise, this G75K will be seen on that CRJ 900 frequently after September.
Don't give them any ideas. This Horizon airline BS is bad enough.
Old May 17, 2015, 10:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I flew Delta a few times last year out of Juneau and their hard product is YEARS ahead of Alaskas.

And yes, we would pick a crappy CRJ 900 nonstop over a 737 that makes a stop OR be forced to overnight in Seattle. I will miss making Hilton Gold in 2016 or 2017, but I enjoy my own bed & pooch more than I do the SeaTac Hilton or Doubletree
Old May 17, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by BiggAW
They are out of their element going into AS's home turf.

DL should stick to what they know.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but consider this: if AS had applied the same logic you applied to DL to "stick to what they know", AS still wouldn't fly east of SEA or south of PDX.

And get used to flying regionals (aka Horizon) in AK. The combis are about to walk the plank and AS isn't going to start sending the 739ER to BRW and PSG. I think the era of 737 passenger service to rural Alaska is about over within five years.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:45 am

I think the only "milkruns" that will exist in 5 years will be on the 737-700 CARGO airplanes. Apparently Alaska-Boeing have received FAA approval to start converting a few airplanes to all-cargo. NOT combi.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You are entitled to your own opinions, but consider this: if AS had applied the same logic you applied to DL to "stick to what they know", AS still wouldn't fly east of SEA or south of PDX.

And get used to flying regionals (aka Horizon) in AK. The combis are about to walk the plank and AS isn't going to start sending the 739ER to BRW and PSG. I think the era of 737 passenger service to rural Alaska is about over within five years.
I'd say some Q400's based in the region (perhaps even rotating to ANC) for intra-SE Alaska travel + E175s for nonstop to SEA (that get upgauged to 738s during peak season) might work pretty well as a combination.

Competition for your custom isn't bad, folks.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
I'm amazed a market of ~33k people supports multiple mainline jet flights in the first place. There's no room for two carriers. One carrier with high prices is the only way mainline jet service works in a place like JNU.
Disagree. Your amazement might be somewhat tempered when you consider that there are only two ways to access Juneau - via plane or via ferry. The latter is subject to so many breakdowns and IRROPs, and now budgetary constraints, that it has been rendered practically unreliable.

There may be room in the sandbox for two.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'd say some Q400's based in the region (perhaps even rotating to ANC) for intra-SE Alaska travel + E175s for nonstop to SEA (that get upgauged to 738s during peak season) might work pretty well as a combination.

Competition for your custom isn't bad, folks.
My guess is JNU will maintain 738 and above to ANC and SEA and become something of a regional connecting hub for the smaller SE communities, sans KTN which should be able to maintain service to SEA on its own. The JNU-KTN flight will probably also go to Q400...I think AS has a federal contract (Forest Service?) to keep flying that one.

Not sure how SIT will fit into that during the winter...I could see 1 or 2 Q400 flights to JNU and a Skywest nonstop to SEA in the winter, or 3+ Q400 flights to JNU and that's it.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:20 pm

Actually we'll be saving more than an hour.. try nearly 3. Delta's nonstop lands at 900AM-ish. The 715AM via KTN lands at 12:00N. And the return is the same. Alaska's last flight for 9 months out of 3 each year leaves SEA between 630PM and 650PM, with a stop in Ketchikan. Delta, 745PM.

+1 to Delta so far for offering us in Juneau the ability to get to the EAST COAST same day without overnighting or doing JNU-ANC-ORD(red eye).

If Alaska was smart, they'd swap the 737 with an EMB 175 and offer a flight that mirrors Deltas. Otherwise, this G75K will be seen on that CRJ 900 frequently after September.
That would be the dumbest move ever.

Frequency in the summer time increases significantly (5 southbound and 5 northbound between SEA and KTN) and each and every flight is packed to the rafters, both with passengers and freight.

People seem to forget the amount of freight money AS makes in SE AK. The passengers are just the cherry on top.

ETA plus they have a lucrative little thing called USPS contract.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:34 pm

My guess is JNU will maintain 738 and above to ANC and SEA and become something of a regional connecting hub for the smaller SE communities, sans KTN which should be able to maintain service to SEA on its own. The JNU-KTN flight will probably also go to Q400...I think AS has a federal contract (Forest Service?) to keep flying that one.

Not sure how SIT will fit into that during the winter...I could see 1 or 2 Q400 flights to JNU and a Skywest nonstop to SEA in the winter, or 3+ Q400 flights to JNU and that's it.
I'm seeing -800 scattered about for service between KTN and SEA, especially on AS174.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by CBear

Frequency in the summer time increases significantly (5 southbound and 5 northbound between SEA and KTN) and each and every flight is packed to the rafters, both with passengers and freight.

People seem to forget the amount of freight money AS makes in SE AK. The passengers are just the cherry on top.

Think he was talking about JNU, not KTN. Plus summer and winter are two different animals. Winter, KTN's service to and from SEA is all tied to other communities (64/65 and 62/67 milk runs, and 60/69 tagged with JNU). As combis are phased out, and one would assume the milk runs in their current form would go away as well, that will have some bearing on the winter schedule in KTN.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by CBear

if you read my post, you'll see I was talking about the OTHER 9 months out of the year. If you lived in Juneau, you would be 10000% on board with me: the stop in KTN sucks. Delta is offering us a NONSTOP at 6AM. I can now consider STAYING living in Juneau because my travel schedule won't be so SH*TTY moving forward.

My suggestion is that during the OTHER 9 months when we do NOT have that Alaska Airlines early AM flight.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:01 pm

I flew Delta a few times last year out of Juneau and their hard product is YEARS ahead of Alaskas.
Less leg room and dealing with DL's shenanigans is somehow ahead of AS? What are you smoking? AS is one of the best carriers in the US. The three legacies aren't even on the list.

And yes, we would pick a crappy CRJ 900 nonstop over a 737
I just hope that DL doesn't hurt AS's ability to offer service to SE AK.

There's nothing special about flying in the lower 48. AS just sucks less than the legacy carriers. Flying in AK is a whole different deal.

You really think AS is just going to cut them off of the map like that? I hope that they come to their senses, and if they don't want to operate combis, cut the frequency and use 737-700's instead of cutting service altogether.

On the flip side, since the combi's work now, why wouldn't they replace them with -800 combi's when the -400's are coming up on their service life?

I think the only "milkruns" that will exist in 5 years will be on the 737-700 CARGO airplanes. Apparently Alaska-Boeing have received FAA approval to start converting a few airplanes to all-cargo. NOT combi.
Milk runs will continue on for a long time with regular 737's, just like they do in SE today.

Disagree. Your amazement might be somewhat tempered when you consider that there are only two ways to access Juneau - via plane or via ferry. The latter is subject to so many breakdowns and IRROPs, and now budgetary constraints, that it has been rendered practically unreliable.

There may be room in the sandbox for two.
Sure, you have to take a boat or a plane. I get that. But there are only ~33k people there.

As combis are phased out, and one would assume the milk runs in their current form would go away as well, that will have some bearing on the winter schedule in KTN.
What do combis have to do with milk runs in SE? Most of the milk runs are regular 737-400s or -800s in SE. The combis are out in Barrow, Nome, Bethel, Deadhorse, etc. When the -400s go away, they will be -800s or -700s.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:36 pm

What is going on with AS? They are sending passenger 737's up for about half of the SCC-BRW milk runs, and yet they are only flying one or two flights a day between ANC and FAI, one of which is the tail end of a milk run, with the rest farmed out to Horizon. Makes no sense.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Sure, you have to take a boat or a plane. I get that. But there are only ~33k people there.
And those 33,000 people fly a lot. Does that help clear things up?

Your effort to establish a nexus between a community's population and the level of commercial airline service it receives (jet or otherwise) obviously doesn't work with JNU.

Perhaps this debate would be better focused on YAK, CDV, PSG, and WRG. Indulge yourself.

Yes, Horizon service is going expand in Southeast. That will largely address the jet service-to-small-community issue. Jets won't disappear completely but their presence will be diminished.
Old May 19, 2015, 10:17 am

And those 33,000 people fly a lot. Does that help clear things up?

Your effort to establish a nexus between a community's population and the level of commercial airline service it receives (jet or otherwise) obviously doesn't work with JNU.
Of course JNU has a lot of people who fly a lot, and needs and deserves mainline jet service. That being said, in order for the economics for mainline jets to go there, there needs to be a single monopoly carrier who can charge the high prices required to operate the inefficient operation required to serve JNU. That's why the Alaska-only model works. Hopefully DL will realize how dumb their move is, pull out, and Alaska will still be in good shape to go back to being a monopoly and making money again when that happens.

Perhaps this debate would be better focused on YAK, CDV, PSG, and WRG. Indulge yourself.

Yes, Horizon service is going expand in Southeast. That will largely address the jet service-to-small-community issue. Jets won't disappear completely but their presence will be diminished.
That sucks. Horizon and their stupid little POS turboprops needs to go away completely. Alaska should be providing that service with mainline jets. Yes, they are milk runs, they may not run daily, but those towns deserve mainline jet service more than many big cities that have highways that go other places, since they don't.

What issue are they addressing? They have B737 service today. There is no logical reason not to provide mainline jet service to those towns, since Alaska is a monopoly, and can charge the prices required to bring a B737 in there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.