FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   JNU-SEA RT $190! Amazing!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1678029-jnu-sea-rt-190-amazing.html)

sueinjuneau May 6, 2015 1:22 pm

JNU-SEA RT $190! Amazing!!

I'm so happy, I purchased JNU-SEA RT, both non-stop flights on AS, for $190. I just love Delta, today, for the competition.

Now let's see if I get a complimentary upgrade on either flight.

As I was not invited to the Gold lunch, this is a nice second prize.

eponymous_coward May 6, 2015 1:59 pm

Looks like DL declared war on AS... SEA-JNU $95, SEA-ANC $111, SEA-SIT $91.

:eek:

Looks like it's a great time to quasi-MR to Alaska from SEA... ;)

Chugach May 6, 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by sueinjuneau (Post 24776521)
I'm so happy, I purchased JNU-SEA RT, both non-stop flights on AS, for $190. I just love Delta, today, for the competition.

Now let's see if I get a complimentary upgrade on either flight.

As I was not invited to the Gold lunch, this is a nice second prize.

You're showing your love and appreciation to DL by flying AS? Lol. If a few of you Juneauites don't show some appreciation by flying them occasionally you'll be back to $500 RT to SEA before you know it.

Madone59 May 6, 2015 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 24776701)

What dates?

dieselbear May 6, 2015 2:59 pm

FWIW Jet Blue has PDX-ANC non-stops for $197 RT this summer.
By comparison Delta is $242 for connections.
AS is $320 for non-stops.

eponymous_coward May 6, 2015 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59 (Post 24776994)
What dates?

A lot of them in May (including Memorial Day weekend). Didn't go poking much further.

sueinjuneau May 6, 2015 3:39 pm

Chugach - someone else can fly DL

DL is for tourists. It's for tor those who do not know the complicated JNU approach and takeoff scenarios - for those who have never sat through an aborted takeoff on a contaminated runway knowing that this is the worst runway-eating procedure possible at JNU.

I want an AS pilot and crew in AS-equipped metal flying me in and out of JNU.

But I do like paying $190, while it lasts. Might be a short-term Mark Air-type arrangement. Unless they can fly enough tourists.

UAPremierExec May 6, 2015 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by sueinjuneau (Post 24777243)
DL is for tourists. It's for tor those who do not know the complicated JNU approach and takeoff scenarios - for those who have never sat through an aborted takeoff on a contaminated runway knowing that this is the worst runway-eating procedure possible at JNU.

I want an AS pilot and crew in AS-equipped metal flying me in and out of JNU.

But I do like paying $190, while it lasts. Might be a short-term Mark Air-type arrangement. Unless they can fly enough tourists.

Sue - Delta is purchasing the data from the consortium that will allow Delta to do the exact same approaches as Alaska. I welcome Delta here, they bring in much needed additional seats, and when they pull stunts like this, people who live here can travel a lot more. I'm losing my housemates because they can't ever get out of here - $800+ to Charleston, SC - for example (and yet even with AS announcing CHS, we can't get there from here same day).

The only reason I'm not booking Delta is the stupid bag fees. Otherwise, Delta's service compared to Alaska is much better out of here - ie seatback tvs with free movies, 2 choices of entrees in First Class, a curtain they actually close between F/Y. Alaska is a GOOD airline - don't get me wrong - but Delta has a better hard product.

CBear May 6, 2015 4:19 pm

The same KTN-SEA. I saw a ridiculously low fare mid May, but then it was back up to $300 return on Delta for a week later. Still good, but add bag fees and it's the same as AS.

And really, what's the point in a Seattle trip if you can't fill up two large suitcases of shopping?

3Cforme May 6, 2015 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by CBear (Post 24777446)
The same KTN-SEA. I saw a ridiculously low fare mid May, but then it was back up to $300 return on Delta for a week later. Still good, but add bag fees and it's the same as AS.

And really, what's the point in a Seattle trip if you can't fill up two large suitcases of shopping?

Buy that Delta ticket and when you next log in to Delta (via web or app) they'll likely present an offer of an Amex card to waive the first bag fee. They'll market 1st upgrades, Comfort+ seating, Mileage Booster, and a wifi pass the same way, in rotation - seemlessly (or relentlessly, depending on one's perspective).

CBear May 6, 2015 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 24777682)
Buy that Delta ticket and when you next log in to Delta (via web or app) they'll likely present an offer of an Amex card to waive the first bag fee. They'll market 1st upgrades, Comfort+ seating, Mileage Booster, and a wifi pass the same way, in rotation - seemlessly (or relentlessly, depending on one's perspective).

But I automatically get two free checked bags with AS and all I have to do is live in AK.

Why should I get a credit card which I don't want so I can get only one free checked bag while AS is pretty much the same amount?

missamo80 May 6, 2015 6:12 pm

I just did a quick search for fun and see $95 each way for the entire month of June, except for SEA-JUN on June 5th. Crazy!

Neil

alphaeagle May 6, 2015 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 24777382)
Sue - Delta is purchasing the data from the consortium that will allow Delta to do the exact same approaches as Alaska.

I haven't heard this, do you have more information? Last I heard AS owned their own approaches, and giving them to DL would improve their competitors on-time performance. I'm sure AS would prefer that they were more reliable than DL. Curious as I figured it would be a matter of time before DL either got their own or figured out a way to use Alaska's if DL was serious about JNU.

notquiteaff May 6, 2015 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 24776701)

Nice! Just as I was wondering what to do over Memorial Day, I now tentatively got myself a weekend trip to ANC for $220 :)

Having only been to ANC once as the starting point for a road trip to Denali... what's there to do at the end of May? Kenai peninsula, maybe? Off to Google :)

eponymous_coward May 6, 2015 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 24777980)
Nice! Just as I was wondering what to do over Memorial Day, I now tentatively got myself a weekend trip to ANC for $220 :)

Having only been to ANC once as the starting point for a road trip to Denali... what's there to do at the end of May? Kenai peninsula, maybe? Off to Google :)

I ended up doing SEA-KTN//SIT-JNU-SEA for the same amount over Memorial Day weekend, with an overnight on the MV Matanuska to get me from point A to point B.

It was cheaper than a hotel room. :p