Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need a challenge...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yes! My husband just got one via e-mail. He's been MVP for a few years, and was very close to Gold last year (as close as me, and I went to DTW to get mine). He has to fly 8 flights (now, I HOPE they mean segments, since every flight we take out of EUG is 2 segments each way) by March 15 and he'll be Gold for the rest of this year.

We've got those segments booked (PLEASE don't let it snow!) already, and he didn't even have to go to Detroit!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:44 am

I was about 10k short of MVP last year and no challenge for me But AS has been kind enough to continue upgrading me on the 10k I have booked in Jan/Feb of this year, so it's kind of like a challenge. I should qualify this year.

If they run any DEQM promos, I could make MVPG. In fact, I already have 17.5K in planned travel on AS before July to begin with, so if they do a DEQM I may even MR for it.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: AS 75K
I got an email to retain 75k for flying AS/QX 10 segments by 3/15/15. I have as of right now ~66k AS miles and ~82.5k partner miles for 2014.

(I had some end of year BA flights that should get me over 90k partner but assumed the data points are interesting)
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yes! My husband just got one via e-mail. He's been MVP for a few years, and was very close to Gold last year (as close as me, and I went to DTW to get mine). He has to fly 8 flights (now, I HOPE they mean segments, since every flight we take out of EUG is 2 segments each way) by March 15 and he'll be Gold for the rest of this year.

We've got those segments booked (PLEASE don't let it snow!) already, and he didn't even have to go to Detroit!
Yes, a flight with connections counts as two segments. Example: from JNU we can fly to WRG or PSG round trip in a day and it counts for 4 segments. Because we have to fly south to KTN and then connect to a northbound flight to get to either community. Two of those for Gold-challenged folks here and you're done.

Make sure you are registered before getting on Segment #1. Otherwise it won't count.

Last edited by dave1013; Jan 16, 2015 at 10:47 am Reason: Register comment
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
I got an email to retain 75k for flying AS/QX 10 segments by 3/15/15. I have as of right now ~66k AS miles and ~82.5k partner miles for 2014.

(I had some end of year BA flights that should get me over 90k partner but assumed the data points are interesting)
That's interesting that you would get a challenge to retain 75K status when, from your comments above, you didn't seem to fly enough AS or partner miles in 2014 to get it in the first place. Obviously I am misinterpreting something, so help me understand - unless the BA activity is the factor. Hope it works out for you!

That aside, it's interesting that AS is offering a 75K challenge this year. But then again, they were offering status matches to 75K starting last fall, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by dave1013
That's interesting that you would get a challenge to retain 75K status when, from your comments above, you didn't seem to fly enough AS or partner miles in 2014 to get it in the first place. Obviously I am misinterpreting something, so help me understand - unless the BA activity is the factor. Hope it works out for you!
Yes, the numbers I wrote are what shows on AS now rather than actual flight miles.

In detail:
2013: Flew >90k partner miles. Earned 75k.
2014: Flew >90k partner miles. ~12k have not posted to my account yet so I should be retaining 75k on mileage earning once the remaining flights post. To AS right now, though, I'm still MVPG since they don't know about those flights.

Last edited by LwoodY2K; Jan 16, 2015 at 10:58 am Reason: Added detail
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HHonors Gold
For those of you wondering if AS is still sending out challenge emails, my fiancee just got one today for MVP. She was within 200mi of MVP in 2013 and didn't receive a challenge email, and she was within 1200mi in 2014 of getting MVP - both times mostly with partner miles. Challenge is 4 segments before March 15. Seems like a pretty good way to get almost frequent flyers to finally get over that last hurdle. That's how AS snagged me about 4 years ago.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Another data point: a friend was at 17k miles and received the challenge email. He has never had any AS status before.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It would be nice to have a status level above 75K that is only earned by full participation within the calendar year. No status matches, no challenges, just pure unadulterated Alaska Airlines mileage earning.

I've gone on record as suggesting Alaska call it "Super Duper Diamond Encrusted Kryptonite Level" but so far the powers that be at 19300 International Blvd. have not responded to my entreaties.

You know - I'll be down in Seattle next week. Maybe I'll just stop by in person and take my chances with security...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dave1013

That aside, it's interesting that AS is offering a 75K challenge this year. But then again, they were offering status matches to 75K starting last fall, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.
I think with challenges, they only look at your AS amount. In this case, the op was close with both AS and AS+Partners
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I guess I was wrong about the challenge only based on AS flying. My mom, who was matched to gold in march was offered a challenge. She'd flown only 6k miles on AS metal was totaled to about 45k AS + Partners. She was offered 8 AS/QX flights by March 15 to retain her status. Glad that one of her missing long-hauls posted shortly after, so she wouldn't need the challenge
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
It would be nice to have a status level above 75K that is only earned by full participation within the calendar year. No status matches, no challenges, just pure unadulterated Alaska Airlines mileage earning.

I've gone on record as suggesting Alaska call it "Super Duper Diamond Encrusted Kryptonite Level" but so far the powers that be at 19300 International Blvd. have not responded to my entreaties.

You know - I'll be down in Seattle next week. Maybe I'll just stop by in person and take my chances with security...
They would just change their mind a year or 2 later and start matching to it anyways
Old May 6, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by CDKing
The challenge offered to me by the website is to fly 40K AS or 50K AS+Partners, does that count?
LOL that was really funny!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.