Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've been cut off

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
So I guess it depends on when ANC's anecdote happened in terms of whether the FA was following company policy or enforcing a personal belief system (or simply didn't get the memo and made an honest error).

ANC's only clue as to the year is that the passengers were "two US soldiers returning from Iraq" which only narrows it down to, well...I guess it doesn't narrow it down very much at all.
Sounds like pre-memo.

This was a fairly recent update.
Old May 7, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jill5172
There is one flight attendant on my regular routing home SNA-SEA who gives me disapproving looks after I've had ONE glass of wine in FC. I always have to request refills. She doesn't do it to the guys, though. Given that I am usually flying home on the ~6 pm flight after a long day at the office, I'm rarely in a mood to tolerate that.
Just comment. "Oh, you look as if you don't approve." And smile.
Maybe [she] thinks that you're a lightweight and she doesn't want to hold your hair back as you befoul the F loo.

Last edited by jackal; May 8, 2014 at 12:09 am Reason: Removing now-deleted material from quote and response thereto
Old May 7, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
There is one flight attendant on my regular routing home SNA-SEA who gives me disapproving looks after I've had ONE glass of wine in FC. I always have to request refills. She doesn't do it to the guys, though. Given that I am usually flying home on the ~6 pm flight after a long day at the office, I'm rarely in a mood to tolerate that.
At the risk of inciting a flame-fest, my observation is that you are being treated differently on the basis of gender. This is the stuff of which discrimination complaints are made.

<donning Kevlar>

Last edited by jackal; May 8, 2014 at 12:08 am Reason: Removing now-deleted material from quote
Old May 7, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dave1013
At the risk of inciting a flame-fest, my observation is that you are being treated differently on the basis of gender. This is the stuff of which discrimination complaints are made.

<donning Kevlar>
I don't disagree with this at all. Everyone should be treated the same (except 75ks ) onboard unless you've proven you are unable to behave responsibly.

Drinking should not be a gender specific basis for service.
Old May 7, 2014, 4:47 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
So I guess it depends on when ANC's anecdote happened in terms of whether the FA was following company policy or enforcing a personal belief system (or simply didn't get the memo and made an honest error).

ANC's only clue as to the year is that the passengers were "two US soldiers returning from Iraq" which only narrows it down to, well...I guess it doesn't narrow it down very much at all.
It wouldve been in 2008 or 2009. i quit doing weekly or 6x a month flights to FAI in late 2009. And I know it was roughly a year before that. I want to say it was late 08....early 09
Old May 8, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
She must be the fraternal twin of the male FA with a stated policy of taking orders from women first.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
She must be the fraternal twin of the male FA with a stated policy of taking orders from women first.
I did notice that on one flight.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by CDKing
Wow that has to be a new one.

I cant drink wine on planes. Its the one drink that gets refilled more often than any others as they just pass through the cabin with the bottles. I can never keep track of how much wine I've had so i always end up stumbling off the plane
On Continental several years ago PDX-IAH I asked for another vodka/soda around the 3 hour mark. it would have been my 4th total and the FA made a point to ask if I was driving. I politely said no (I wasn't) but she had a judgmental look on her face for sure.

Never mind the wine drinkers were probably on glass 5 or 6 at a minimum the rate she was refilling them. Nary a question for them on whether they were driving
Old May 8, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I did notice that on one flight.
Taking orders from women first is traditionally the norm, and still often how it's done in more upscale and fine-dining restaurants. Not sure if that applies to domestic first class, though Still, I don't have a problem with it.
Old May 8, 2014, 1:21 pm

I might be the idiot in the thread, but I'm ok with Dewars White in the air. I can honestly say it all lacks any specific flavor to me once we're up at altitude. They could be pouring Cluny and I probably wouldn't know until the next day. On the ground is a totally different story, but up in the air it's fine.

What I'd actually really like to have onboard a flight, which I've never seen on a domestic, is Grand Marnier.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
What I'd actually really like to have onboard a flight, which I've never seen on a domestic, is Grand Marnier.
Then either you are young or didn't start flying in the front cabin until the past decade-plus or so. Domestic F used to have a nice after-dinner-drink selection. Of course, I wore a size 30 pants then.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Then either you are young or didn't start flying in the front cabin until the past decade-plus or so. Domestic F used to have a nice after-dinner-drink selection. Of course, I wore a size 30 pants then.
You got me. I'm 32 and didn't even realize I could fly up front until I was about 27 or so. We didn't do a lot of flying as kids either - just a couple of trips to Disney World. US Airways trial silver got me into the game.

Definitely OT for this thread, but I keep telling my wife that our daughter (2) is going to have some pretty unrealistic travel standards that are going to come crashing in eventually. Kind of like when I finished college, moved to Northern Virginia and realized that I indeed was not going to instantly have a 3000 sq ft house like we did growing up (in a low cost of living area). I live in Maine now, don't have 2/3 of that square footage, but at least I'm not still paying the mortgage on my 400k, 900 sq ft "house"
Old May 8, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Do bars in Alaska stay open until 5am? Righteous if so and on par with NYC, Chicago, and DC ^
Bars in the Cities (Anc, JNU, FAI [I think]..) have normal closing times of like 2-3AM.

Bars outside of urban areas stay open til 5am in places like Wasilla, Palmer, just outside of Nome.

I have been cutoff on a few flights. I am a nervous flyer so I tend to overdrink while flying. Its a little bit of an annoyance but I understand why the FA's don't want to overserve people.

I have also been denied drinks on early flights. I remember on the old flt 151 ANC-OTZ that departed at 630am I was denied a drink in FC (for some reason it wasn't a combi that day) because it was too early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.