Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

BofA is dropping Alaska Airlines Mileage Debit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by nas6034
Any working link for the AS debit card? I tried link on #21 and it did not work.
Looks like they took it off the website, yet again. I think going into a branch or calling is the only way. And from reading throughout FT and google, most CSRs will tell you the card doesn't exist anymore, so keep trying different CSRs.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 7:44 am

Alaska Debit Card... Anyone knows?

this is no longer available after Nov 10, according to the rep I spoke to yesterday.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 4:33 pm

This is now confirmed on Alaska's web site:

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...companion.aspx

Do you offer an Alaska Airlines debit card?
The Alaska Airlines debit card program was discontinued on November 10, 2013. Existing debit card holders will continue to earn miles through May 31, 2014.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan, HHonors

I received a letter today from Bank Of America. it was informing me that they are no longer going to offer us Alaska Airline Mileage Points. In March they are going to send everyone enrolled in the Alaska Airline Mileage Program a new debit card. I can't find any other info about it. I think it's time maybe, for me to switch banks.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:14 am

I also got this letter. I also think this was discussed in another thread. Also, if you're switching banks because you'll no longer earn Alaska miles, then you have few options in finding a replacement
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
My last annual fee was 11/1/12 They better not be planning on charging me an annual fee for a few months of getting what the annual fee covers.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Any "rewards" debit cards are going away because swipe fees are now limited to (I think) 24 cents. It's a money-losing proposition for all banks. Definitely a good move to dump BofA though. Consider BECU.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by TProphet
Any "rewards" debit cards are going away because swipe fees are now limited to (I think) 24 cents. It's a money-losing proposition for all banks. Definitely a good move to dump BofA though. Consider BECU.
Saddened, but not surprised. Citi and Chase ended their respective airline cards as well a while ago.

This Delta/SunTrust debit card seems the last which I can find.

https://www.suntrust.com/PersonalBan...MilesCheckCard

http://www.deltadebitcard.com/details.php

Problem is there isn't a SunTrust where I live in the Bay Area and I don't fly DL at all.

All this thanks to the "Durbin Amendment"...thanks Dick Durbin.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:37 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Wow! that would really suck. I hope AS creates a partnership with another bank, I for one would drop the B of A card like a hot potato. Note that you can still apply for the B of A card on the AS site, nothing there about dropping it. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/cre...signature.aspx
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Wow! that would really suck. I hope AS creates a partnership with another bank, I for one would drop the B of A card like a hot potato. Note that you can still apply for the B of A card on the AS site, nothing there about dropping it. http://www.alaskaair.com/content/cre...signature.aspx
It is the debit card only that is being dropped.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Dude, as is clearly pointed out above, ALL banks have killed ALL debit card incentives because "the government helped us".

I'm not a fan of BoA, but instead of dumping on BoA for not giving miles on a transaction they get only 24 cents for processing, your displeasure would be more reasonably directed towards the people who are telling you they know better than you what choices are right for you..
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Dude, as is clearly pointed out above, ALL banks have killed ALL debit card incentives because "the government helped us".

I'm not a fan of BoA, but instead of dumping on BoA for not giving miles on a transaction they get only 24 cents for processing, your displeasure would be more reasonably directed towards the people who are telling you they know better than you what choices are right for you..
No need for political opinion here. There's an OMNI for that.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Goodbye B of A! This card was the only thing keeping me there. I still have my Suntrust DL card from the big sign-up bonus a year or two ago. Even though that's a 1:1 earning ratio instead of AS's 1:2, I still valued the AS miles higher. Looks like my debit spend will be with ST for now.

Originally Posted by CDKing
My last annual fee was 11/1/12 They better not be planning on charging me an annual fee for a few months of getting what the annual fee covers.
10/1 for me. Why do I have a strong feeling we will not be getting any of this back...
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by dgwright99
Er, NO!

Originally Posted by Jacobin777
This Delta/SunTrust debit card seems the last which I can find.

https://www.suntrust.com/PersonalBan...MilesCheckCard

http://www.deltadebitcard.com/details.php
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is the debit card only that is being dropped.
That makes sense as to why I didn't get the letter. I use the CREDIT card so all is good (for now). I have been a gold for many years but always use the credit card for purchases when I can to get more miles. The $99 companion certificate is great (not as great as it was though) a and I got them to waive the annual fee in perpetuity. So as long as it's paid every month it's a great program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.