Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS will be using Sun Liquor (local to SEA) as their booze supplier; no more Glenlivet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AS Flyer
Changes are afoot at AS and its beverages:

Upgrades:
  • Sun Liquor Vodka
  • Sun Liquor Gin
  • Sun Liquor Rum
  • Hazlenut Infused Espresso Vodka

Downgrades:
  • Dewar's

Safe For Now:
  • Balieys
Print Wikipost

AS will be using Sun Liquor (local to SEA) as their booze supplier; no more Glenlivet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by morerainplease
According to this evening's FA, Baileys is also done. Maybe it was just missing from the cart and she assumed?

At any rate, while I'm not a tremendous fan of Glenlivet, it is a proper single malt. Dewar's is not even remotely a replacement.

Baileys is still around.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Oct 24, 2013 at 10:26 am
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
The new Rum is awesome IMHO. Even better than the Bacardi that they still serve.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Got to try the Hedgetrimmer Gin this week, which wasn't too shabby at all. I'll try the rum next trip.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Got to try the Hedgetrimmer Gin this week, which wasn't too shabby at all. I'll try the rum next trip.
How did you drink it? (I know, in your mouth, from a glass ... so you can save that part of the answer )
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Me to FA: "If you have some Sun brand gin, I'd like a bottle along with a can of tonic water."
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me to FA: "If you have some Sun brand gin, I'd like a bottle along with a can of tonic water."
Why ruin gin with HFCS nasty tonic water?
Old Oct 25, 2013, 10:27 pm

Long trip starting 5AM Sunday morning ANC-SEA-LAX-CDG. What's a good Sun Rum drink when heading south?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
Long trip starting 5AM Sunday morning ANC-SEA-LAX-CDG. What's a good Sun Rum drink when heading south?
Rocks and a second?

Too bad AS doesn't serve Eggnog
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Rocks and a second?

Followed by a shower in the SEA SC and some olives
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Why ruin gin with HFCS nasty tonic water?
Well, that's the way I usually drink gin. However, I did have the tail end of the bottle in some Sprite Zero as well. I don't drink most hooch straight up, except bourbon, and the whiskey selection sure ain't Alaska's strong suit!

Originally Posted by beckoa
Rocks and a second?

A run to Florida in December, perhaps? I had heard great things about Publix eggnog, and it really was all that; my next visit I'll have to try their much-touted fried chicken.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, that's the way I usually drink gin. However, I did have the tail end of the bottle in some Sprite Zero as well. I don't drink most hooch straight up, except bourbon, and the whiskey selection sure ain't Alaska's strong suit!
I tried the gin with some lemon y ice.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Finally sent my note into AS again reminded today that Glenlivet is no more
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Switching this conversation back to beer for a moment, why does Alaska have to limit its non-Mexico/Hawaii craft beer selection to just Alaska Brewing Co. products? I still have fond memories of when they used to serve McTarnahan's - a great quaff!

Alaska Airlines is based in Seattle and has a strong presence in Portland as well. Both Washington and Oregon have an excellent variety of breweries, some of whose products we see occasionally on Horizon flights. I should imagine the folks at Redhook or Widmer Brothers - just to name a couple - would be happy for the exposure of being served on not just Horizon but also Alaska flights - if only for a month or two at a time. Though I can't say with any certitude, I'd like to think that supplying the demand wouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle for some of these breweries either, especially if they only made occasional month (or two) long guest appearances.

I have written to Alaska Airlines with this suggestion. Hopefully they will look into it because with the exception of ABC's American Pale Ale, all of their other beers - especially Alaska Amber - taste overly sweet to me.

Washington Breweries I'd like to see occasionally on Alaska Flights:

Georgetown Brewing Company - Seattle, Washington (Manny's Pale Ale!! served occasionally in the SEA BR. Alas, only available in kegs at present )
Elysian Brewing Company - Seattle, Washington
Hale's Ales - Seattle, Washington
Pyramid Breweries, Inc. - Seattle, Washington
Redhook Ale Brewery - Seattle, Washington

Oregon Breweries I'd like to see occasionally on Alaska Flights:

Widmer Brothers Brewery, Portland
Deschutes Brewery, Bend
Full Sail Brewing Company, Hood River
BridgePort Brewing Company, Portland
Rogue Ales, Newport
Ninkasi Brewing Company, Eugene (Radiant Ale! My Favorite!!!)

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 1, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Switching this conversation back to beer for a moment, why does Alaska have to limit its non-Mexico/Hawaii craft beer selection to just Alaska Brewing Co. products? I still have fond memories of when they used to serve McTarnahan's - a great quaff!

Alaska Airlines is based in Seattle and has a strong presence in Portland as well. Both Washington and Oregon have an excellent variety of breweries, some of whose products we see occasionally on Horizon flights. I should imagine the folks at Redhook or Widmer Brothers - just to name a couple - would be happy for the exposure of being served on not just Horizon but also Alaska flights - if only for a month or two at a time. Though I can't say with any certitude, I'd like to think that supplying the demand wouldn't be an insurmountable obstacle for some of these breweries either, especially if they only made occasional month (or two) long guest appearances.
I doubt that supply would be a problem for any of the Seattle Area breweries. How much beer can AS be serving ex-SEA? I'd guess less than 2k bottles per day.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Manny's Pale Ale!! served occasionally in the SEA BR. Alas, only available in kegs at present
I'm pretty sure that an in flight service cart would make a great kegerator for narrow kegs (and actually, I really want to build a kegerator out of a cart now).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
I doubt that supply would be a problem for any of the Seattle Area breweries. How much beer can AS be serving ex-SEA? I'd guess less than 2k bottles per day.

I'm pretty sure that an in flight service cart would make a great kegerator for narrow kegs (and actually, I really want to build a kegerator out of a cart now).
I wouldn't mind some Vitamin R Tall Boys. Additionally, I see nothing wrong with a kegerator on the plane. IMO, excellent way to differentiate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.