Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS will be using Sun Liquor (local to SEA) as their booze supplier; no more Glenlivet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AS Flyer
Changes are afoot at AS and its beverages:

Upgrades:
  • Sun Liquor Vodka
  • Sun Liquor Gin
  • Sun Liquor Rum
  • Hazlenut Infused Espresso Vodka

Downgrades:
  • Dewar's

Safe For Now:
  • Balieys
Print Wikipost

AS will be using Sun Liquor (local to SEA) as their booze supplier; no more Glenlivet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
BUD has a 32.2% interest in BREW

I stand partially corrected but the mainland bottlings don't taste the same to me as the draft made in the Islands.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1668...h?source=yahoo

This is from the link above:
"Concerning Craft Brew Alliance The Street's Jason Notte said, "In a move that elicits grumbles [from the] craft beer community to this day -- and stripped Redhook and Widmer of their "craft" distinction in the eyes of the Brewers Association craft beer industry group -- the brewers gave Anheuser-Busch InBev (BUD) a 32.2% stake in the operation in exchange for access to its sprawling distribution network."

Last edited by JPat; Sep 6, 2013 at 1:07 pm Reason: additional info
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Outbound last week I tried to get some Sun as my complimentary Gold drink (SEA - BOS), but they had none on the coach cart. Yesterday, on the way home in First, they catered Sun vodka only (no rum or gin), which wasn't bad (in a vodka & tonic),
but I'm not a vodka aficionado so might not be the best judge.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
ABV of the new booze:

Vodka is 42% - 2% above typical
Gin is 42% - 5% below typical
Rum is 45% - 5% above typical

The Crater Lake Hazelnut is 25%
(For reference, Kahlua is approx. 20% but varies by region)
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, United MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
On my flight Tuesday from ATL to PDX, the FA suggested that I try the
Crater Lake Hazelnut Vodka together with Baileys in my coffee--it was excellent!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by pdxtraveller
Crater Lake Hazelnut Vodka together with Baileys in my coffee--it was excellent!
Well I guess this is better than the cheap swill United is doing at their Clubs. Will the new Sun Liquor be phased in at the Boardrooms?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by danielonn
Originally Posted by pdxtraveller
Well I guess this is better than the cheap swill United is doing at their Clubs. Will the new Sun Liquor be phased in at the Boardrooms?
Crater Lakes offers a product that blows out domestic inflight liquors (well aside from WR )
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by danielonn
It would be a premium product if they do, after perhaps an introductory phase.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's all good as long as they don't get rid of Glenlivet...
It appears to be gone. At least on my last flight in Y, I got Dewers. Also got the old vodka on a different flight
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
It appears to be gone. At least on my last flight in Y, I got Dewers. Also got the old vodka on a different flight

Glenlivet is, indeed, gone. RIP. In it's place, Dewers is now available. Yes, it's a downgrade. My understanding is that everyone in charge realizes this too. Apparently, the company that distributes Glenlivet realized they weren't getting enough for their product, given it's premium quality, and raised the prices to levels that were not sustainable. I know people really liked the Glenlivet and we'll miss not being able to offer it.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Glenlivet is, indeed, gone. RIP. In it's place, Dewers is now available. Yes, it's a downgrade. My understanding is that everyone in charge realizes this too. Apparently, the company that distributes Glenlivet realized they weren't getting enough for their product, given it's premium quality, and raised the prices to levels that were not sustainable. I know people really liked the Glenlivet and we'll miss not being able to offer it.
I figured it was a matter of time when everyone else got rid of it.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
It appears to be gone.
Gone on AS 501 today. RIP

Dewar's isn't terrible in my book, but it looks like I'll be drinking Vodka & Sodas with lime for a while.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I am curious what those unsustainable price levels were, i.e., an airline can't get a 600%+ markup on the mini anymore, just perhaps a 400% markup? Or something more substantial. Or, if we don't carry X at the 400% markup, they'll buy Y at the 600% markup.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I am curious what those unsustainable price levels were, i.e., an airline can't get a 600%+ markup on the mini anymore, just perhaps a 400% markup? Or something more substantial. Or, if we don't carry X at the 400% markup, they'll buy Y at the 600% markup.
Markup doesn't necessarily matter. The cost of booze is a black & white controllable operational expense. Why take the fight on in the front end with customers by raising drink prices for non-premium booze when you can have a direct impact on your operational expenses and EBITDA?

We all love AS's market cap being high, don't we.

Any others that are better versed in finance correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Dewars? Ugh.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: All Around Nobody
Dewars was good enough for Sean Connery so it's good enough for me ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIzSki7ZcTM

I'm pretty sure Mac 12 minis are the same price as the Glenlivet - at least the retail, not sure about wholesale - maybe those will be flying soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.