Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by:
Post #248 by pdxasflyer (referencing a.net) includes the purported refreshed wordmark and a Youtube video of an ad using the new mark.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Believe it or not, there are people who actually believe that New Mexico is part of Mexico and not the United States; so it stands to reason that New Mexico Airlines would be thought of as a Mexican airline by some people...
Some people also think that US citizens need a passport to visit Alaska or Hawaii. The Disney movie Snow Dogs featured a scene where a character was surprised that businesses in Alaska accept US Dollars.

While AS does remarkably well in terms of name recognition, it has learned that it can't be too "local" in its service such as when it only served Jones Soda. The current " a bit of Seattle at 30,000 feet" format is working quite well with AS's onboard service featuring both national and regional brands.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Some people also think that US citizens need a passport to visit Alaska or Hawaii. The Disney movie Snow Dogs featured a scene where a character was surprised that businesses in Alaska accept US Dollars.

While AS does remarkably well in terms of name recognition, it has learned that it can't be too "local" in its service such as when it only served Jones Soda. The current " a bit of Seattle at 30,000 feet" format is working quite well with AS's onboard service featuring both national and regional brands.
You think that was the issue with Jones?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Some people also think that US citizens need a passport to visit Alaska or Hawaii.
I remember a FA telling me a pax thought they'd see Alaska while flying to Hawaii because "the states are right next to each other on the map."
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by beckoa
People like their Coca-Cola or in the case of American Airlines passengers, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Dr. Pepper.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

People like their Coca-Cola or in the case of American Airlines passengers, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Dr. Pepper.
Was thinking it was more of an issue with supply but could be wrong.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Was thinking it was more of an issue with supply but could be wrong.
I remember a distinct lack of fizz at 30k feet.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by dgreen12
I remember a distinct lack of fizz at 30k feet.
It did go flat quite quickly. But I believe it is more about people and their insane allegiances for one of the biggest marketing schemes in the history of the world. There would have been far less outcry if the frequent traveler's spouse had been substituted instead of the frequent traveler's fizzy brown beverage.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
New Logo refresh, apparently

Just noticed this over at a.net and didn't see any discussion of it here, but it appears there is a slight refresh of the wordmark and that most marketing materials may be dropping the word "Airlines" (so, it will just say Alaska).

Also, some of the recent videos with Russell Wilson include it. The first is very small in the lower right of the video at the beginning, and then of course at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C33ldxY07js

From the discussion at a.net, Chester is staying and there aren't any other major livery changes. New aircraft will have the new logo, current fleet ships will be painted as part of regular maintenance.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Just noticed this over at a.net and didn't see any discussion of it here, but it appears there is a slight refresh of the wordmark and that most marketing materials may be dropping the word "Airlines" (so, it will just say Alaska).

Also, some of the recent videos with Russell Wilson include it. The first is very small in the lower right of the video at the beginning, and then of course at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C33ldxY07js

From the discussion at a.net, Chester is staying and there aren't any other major livery changes. New aircraft will have the new logo, current fleet ships will be painted as part of regular maintenance.
IMHO the new font is MEH......
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Well chester is staying but the lei will be going away that is on the ETOPS birds
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by BOB W
IMHO the new font is MEH......
I like the cleaner edges and appreciate that it's an evolution rather than revolution. And that "k" has always bothered me, like it's trying to kick the "a" where the sun don't shine.

I wonder if they'll emphasize the blue/green more rather than being predominantly white.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
Well chester is staying but the lei will be going away that is on the ETOPS birds
I wouldn't be surprised if AS has received a non-ETOPS 737 since the first batch of 800s in 2005.

With most of the deliveries since then being ETOPs, it kind of makes the lei redundant.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Just noticed this over at a.net ...so, it will just say Alaska).
This makes sense. We all know American, United, Delta, Southwest, JetBlue, ect. Rarely do you hear the word "airline(s)" after that moniker.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
The lei was intended to be short term to announce the new Hawaii service several years back. I was surprised that it stayed as long as it did.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by BOB W
This makes sense. We all know American, United, Delta, Southwest, JetBlue, ect. Rarely do you hear the word "airline(s)" after that moniker.
+1.
It may also help (albeit slightly/not sure) with those who still call it 'Alaskan'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.