Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:51 am

How quickly can I churn this card?

I've heard that MBNA will just reopen the old account if I apply for a new card within 3 months of closing the old one, but what would happen if I did a product change to the MBNA Rewards Mastercard (effectively leaving that account open), and then applied for a new Alaska card soon after? Any data points on this? Thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by TOchurner
I've heard that MBNA will just reopen the old account if I apply for a new card within 3 months of closing the old one, but what would happen if I did a product change to the MBNA Rewards Mastercard (effectively leaving that account open), and then applied for a new Alaska card soon after? Any data points on this? Thanks.
It does seem that MBNA allows product switches now but the only info I've seen is still to wait at least 90 days after a switch or cancel to re-apply for the Alaska card.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by robsaw
It does seem that MBNA allows product switches now but the only info I've seen is still to wait at least 90 days after a switch or cancel to re-apply for the Alaska card.
Right, that's what I've read online too. I'm just wondering if it's true, being that the new account should be eligible for the bonus as long as it's not the old account reopening, and if I do a product change then the old account can't be reopened because it's still open. So if it's a new account, why wouldn't one get the bonus?

Anyone have any data points on this? Anyone ever get the card but not the bonus because of opening too soon after a product change? Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:54 pm

Is it possible to have both the platinum and world elite version of this card simultaneously?
I currently have the platinum version and I'm wondering if I can apply for the world elite version without having to close the platinum one.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
Is it possible to have both the platinum and world elite version of this card simultaneously?
I currently have the platinum version and I'm wondering if I can apply for the world elite version without having to close the platinum one.
As long as you financial position supports having another credit card, it shouldn't be an issue. Having a good track record with your current account would be seen as positive, unlike applying for an account at an institution where you have never conducted business before. I have two World Elite accounts myself and have had them for years. The annual companion certificate is more valuable to me than the annual fee even considering the 32% increase to $99.00.

James
Old Aug 6, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by CanuckFan
The application is back on GCR now with the 30,000 miles.
FYI for anyone who applied via GCR recently and hasn’t received their rebate. I applied in June and just sent in a missing rebate request. I got this today:

Sorry about your missing rebate. Unfortunately, MBNA made some changes which caused a delay to their reporting. They did resume reporting last week. However, some Alaska card approvals from June 11 to July 6 were missing.

What Happens Next?
1. MBNA will reply in the second week of August.
2. We will post your rebate into your account when they reply if yours is accepted.
3. We will waive the 55 day wait so you can be paid on September 25.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
The 25,000 AS points should appear at the MBNA.ca REWARDS page on the same day, or day after the qualifying purchase is posted to your online account. Look for it there. Then it's a matter of waiting for your next statement to cycle, and then the points will get transferred to your AS account, within a few days, though in the past I've had to wait for several weeks.

While you're waiting for your first (?) statement to cycle, it's best to call MBNA right now, to ensure your MC is properly linked to your AS account number. The rep can read the number back to you for confirmation.
Any recent data-points on how long points are taking to post to Alaska after showing as "transferred" from MBNA? Wife has a relatively new card and 1st statement points (before bonus spend met) posted to AS within a few days of statement date; latest statement (now with bonus points) has taken 9 days and no post to AS yet.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:14 pm

GCR

Originally Posted by Finkface
FYI for anyone who applied via GCR recently and hasn’t received their rebate. I applied in June and just sent in a missing rebate request. I got this today:

Sorry about your missing rebate. Unfortunately, MBNA made some changes which caused a delay to their reporting. They did resume reporting last week. However, some Alaska card approvals from June 11 to July 6 were missing.

What Happens Next?
1. MBNA will reply in the second week of August.
2. We will post your rebate into your account when they reply if yours is accepted.
3. We will waive the 55 day wait so you can be paid on September 25.
Submitted a request earlier in the week for missing GCR credit and received the following reply.. Anyone have any more recent datapoints with GCR?

Hello,
The rebate was not posted because you previously had the Alaska Airlines card. MBNA offers one rebate per card per person. MBNA stopped offering rebates on repeat cardholders over a year ago.

[email protected]
The Great Canadian Rebates Team
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Any recent data-points on how long points are taking to post to Alaska after showing as "transferred" from MBNA? Wife has a relatively new card and 1st statement points (before bonus spend met) posted to AS within a few days of statement date; latest statement (now with bonus points) has taken 9 days and no post to AS yet.
I'm in the same boat, though with a shorter time frame. Expected mine to post this week (showing as transferred on MBNA) but haven't seen them yet on Alaska.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by standing01
Submitted a request earlier in the week for missing GCR credit and received the following reply.. Anyone have any more recent datapoints with GCR?

Hello,
The rebate was not posted because you previously had the Alaska Airlines card. MBNA offers one rebate per card per person. MBNA stopped offering rebates on repeat cardholders over a year ago.

[email protected]
Got the exact same reply when I asked about a missing rebate. I did not get the rebate.

Yes, it will be completed on Friday early afternoon, possibly Thursday. The MBNA representative was on vacation last week and had to wait to this week.

Unfortunately, you will likely not get the rebate because you were a previous Alaska card holder. The rebate is only for new card holders.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by MJ777
I'm in the same boat, though with a shorter time frame. Expected mine to post this week (showing as transferred on MBNA) but haven't seen them yet on Alaska.
robsaw, your wife's points posted on Sep 10th, correct? After my Sep statement, the Rewards page activity shows that MBNA transferred the points on Sep 12th, yet now it's 10 days later for me, and they still have not reached my Alaska Mileage Plan account yet. I don't recall, but do MBNA transfers reach the Alaska account on a particular day of the week, such as Mon or Wed?

Anyways, not sure why some months the points are in the account within a week, and some months it takes 2 to 3+ weeks.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Finkface
Got the exact same reply when I asked about a missing rebate. I did not get the rebate.

Yes, it will be completed on Friday early afternoon, possibly Thursday. The MBNA representative was on vacation last week and had to wait to this week.

Unfortunately, you will likely not get the rebate because you were a previous Alaska card holder. The rebate is only for new card holders.

Have seen this result at least 4 times in the past month, so is this a sign that things are going south?

After years of doing multiple repeat churns and getting the GCR rebate each time, we've been fortunate that GCR have been lenient on the policy of "only for new cardholders". There are still reports of repeated GCR rebate success, but it's not as easy as it once was.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
robsaw, your wife's points posted on Sep 10th, correct? After my Sep statement, the Rewards page activity shows that MBNA transferred the points on Sep 12th, yet now it's 10 days later for me, and they still have not reached my Alaska Mileage Plan account yet. I don't recall, but do MBNA transfers reach the Alaska account on a particular day of the week, such as Mon or Wed?

Anyways, not sure why some months the points are in the account within a week, and some months it takes 2 to 3+ weeks.
Received this response from Alaska:

"Thank you for contacting Alaska Airlines Customer Care.

Due to a processing error, the miles for your credit card use have been delayed. MBNA has advised the miles should be posted to the account by October 8, 2018. "
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:13 am

Received this response from Alaska:

"Thank you for contacting Alaska Airlines Customer Care.

Due to a processing error, the miles for your credit card use have been delayed. MBNA has advised the miles should be posted to the account by October 8, 2018. "
Yikes - processing errors, delays, and crack downs on multiple rebates. I'd better apply soon, as I smell a "no bonus points if you're a previous cardholder" stipulation coming soon. Either that, or the card is disappearing altogether...
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
Data point - Mine just posted, so ymmv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.