Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
PreCheck FAQ:

What is PreCheck?

TSA Pre✓™ allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines, members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs, or randomly selected passengers to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags. (from http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-pre%E2%9C%93%E2%84%A2)

What do I need to do to enroll in PreCheck?

There are two ways to enroll in PreCheck:

1. Be invited by Alaska Airlines, or
2. Sign up for a Trusted Traveler program

At this time, Alaska appears to have only invited a limited number of MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K flyers to use PreCheck. Anyone can sign up for a Trusted Traveler program, though.

See the Alaska Airlines PreCheck FAQ page for good, detailed information on how to ensure you are set to receive PreCheck benefits.

If you are relying on a Trusted Traveler program membership to grant PreCheck access, be sure your name in your "Personal Information" in your "Traveler Profile" (as specified in the link above) is an exact match with what is displayed in your online GOES profile. If it is not, then either contact Alaska to have your profile's name edited, or be sure to edit your SecureFlight data each time you book a new reservation so that your name is an exact match with your GOES profile. A mismatch is very likely to prevent you from being selected for PreCheck.

It is also possible that you have been randomly selected for PreCheck.

If you are randomly selected, you'll see the PreCheck logo displayed on your paper or mobile boarding pass. You'll have all the benefits of PreCheck status for that flight and can use the PreCheck lane in your city of departure.

Should I opt-in with AS or sign up for a Trusted Traveler program?

Opting in with AS is free.

The Trusted Traveler programs have an associated membership fee and interview process but grant additional benefits for international travelers Global Entry is $100 for a five-year membership, requires an interview at one of several enrollment centers across the US, and allows expedited re-entry into the U.S. NEXUS is $50 for a five-year membership, includes a complimentary Global Entry membership, requires an interview at one of a handful of selected enrollment centers near the Canadian border, and allows access to expedited lanes when crossing into Canada or the U.S. at a land crossing. SENTRI is similar to NEXUS but works for the Mexican border instead. Once you receive your approval letter, the numbers on the letter are your TSA PreCheck number. When scheduling your interview, it does not have to be the nearest center - so keep this in mind and consider your travels.

Reports are that those using a Trusted Traveler membership program tend to have higher PreCheck selection rates than those who simply opt in through AS. It's possible that elites who have opted in and provide a Known Traveler program number have the highest selection rates of all, although no method guarantees 100% selection for PreCheck.

How to Add Your PASSID to Existing Reservations

If you receive approval for PreCheck via Global Entry, Nexus or another Trusted Traveler program you will receive a card which (typically on the back) contains a PASSID number. For already existing AS reservations, go to the "My Trips" section of the Alaska website. Under each reservation, go to the "Traveler Information" section. On the right side is "Traveler Documentation." Click on the "Enter Required Documentation" link and select the traveler on the itinerary (if there is more than one traveler). Click the "Continue" button and then click on the "Enter Known Traveler/Redress Number" link. In the box for "Known Traveler Number" enter the PASSID that has been assigned. Click the "Continue" button and repeat as necessary until all the existing reservations have been populated with the PASSID.

What airports does AS participate in PreCheck?

See the map on TSA's site or download the PDF guide from TSA's site. Also note, though, if:

a) You are flying on AS, and
b) You have opted in to PreCheck, and
c) the airport has a PreCheck checkpoint (shown on the map or PDF), and
d) TSA doesn't randomly decide to deny you (hopefully not),

then (assuming you qualify for and have opted in to PreCheck) you will receive a PreCheck-enabled BP. Unless the PreCheck checkpoint leads to a concourse that is not attached to the concourse containing your departure gate, you can use PreCheck at that airport. It does not matter if TSA's map or PDF guide do not specify that Alaska participates at that particular airport.

Some airports have a version of PreCheck referred to as "PreCheck Lite." Those airports (either due to space or staffing limitations) modify the benefits of PreCheck --- you may need to remove your laptop and/or remove your liquids. Keep an eye out for signage in the PreCheck lane to see if modifications have been made to PreCheck at your departure airport. You may be able to leave your shoes on (unless they have metal shanks that will alarm) and you may be able to leave light coats and sweaters on.

Here is a list of airports and checkpoint locations confirmed by FlyerTalkers to work for AS flyers:

• ANC (main [B/C] checkpoint)
  • ATL (south checkpoint)
  • AUS (central checkpoint to the left of the AS check-in counter)
  • BLI (see post 1450 re removal of liquids)
  • BNA (north checkpoint for concourses A/B)
  • BOI (all passengers use one checkpoint)
  • BOS (The C40-C42 area that AS now uses only has PreCheck Lite)
  • BWI (C checkpoint, although A checkpoint also has it and it operates consistently throughout the day)
  • BZN (single checkpoint, right side)
  • DCA (south pier)
  • DEN (both north and south checkpoints)
  • DFW (Terminal E, near gate E15)
  • EAT (PreCheck Lite at the only checkpoint)
  • EUG (PreCheck Lite only)
  • EWR (Terminal A3) Confirmed full-scale PreCheck, at least for the morning flight
  • FAI (PreCheck Lite only)
  • FLL (terminal 1, concourse C--open late afternoon to accommodate AS #33)
  • GEG (Terminal C, left side of existing checkpoint, sporadic hours - see post 1403 for times)
  • HNL (checkpoint 5-between Delta and United, lobbies 7 and 8)
  • JNU (common upstairs checkpoint) PreCheck Lite.
  • KOA Gate 7 - (AS) PreCheck Lite for the 11:55PM Redeye. Also had PreCheck Lite for the 3:00 ish flight to OAK.
  • LAS (Terminal 3 (AS) next to F/elite line, Terminal 1 (AA/DL))
  • LAX (T6 [where Alaska departs from]; it is also possible to use the PreCheck checkpoint in T4 [American], T5 [Delta], or T7 [United]; all are connected behind security)
  • MCI (PreCheck Lite)
  • MCO (Far side of terminal away from AS baggage claim/checkin counters)
  • MFR (only one checkpoint in airport) PreCheck Lite. (Note: checkpoint completely closes at certain hours of the day. Very small airport.)
  • MRY (PreCheck Lite)
  • MSY (Concourse C)
  • OAK (far right side, along exit pathway, well signed)
  • OGG (right side as walking from AS check-in area)
  • ORD (terminal 3, checkpoint 8)
  • PDX (A/B/C checkpoint; PreCheck lane closes in evening, can use D/E PreCheck lane and airside walkway connector back to A/B/C)
  • PHL (D/E checkpoint has TSA Pre✓; Pre✓ also typically available at B [far side of AA counters from AS gates] but not C [near side of AA counters]; all of PHL is connected behind security)
  • PHX (First class TSA entrance in Terminal 2 is now for precheck and first)
  • PSC (PreCheck Lite available at the central, and only, checkpoint)
  • PSP (Left side of the TSA entry point. Note, they also send a lot of wheelchairs through there, so not always faster than the premium line.)
  • RDU (Terminal 2)
  • SAN (Terminal 1, far left lane)
  • SEA (south checkpoint 2, central checkpoint 3 [the one leading to the central food court] and north checkpoint 5)
  • SFO (International Terminal, A pier): enter at the center, the line dragon will point you to a separate line to the left if you have PreCheck on your boarding pass. Normal PreCheck.
  • SIT (Central checkpoint, Gate 1: PreCheck Lite)
  • SJC (terminal B)
  • SLC (use Terminal 2 checkpoint, All connected airside)
  • SMF (far left, terminals A and B)
  • SNA (terminal 1, lane 1)
  • STL (Alaska Terminal & Checkpoint, Right side)
  • TPA (Airside A)

Others listed on TSA's site as PreCheck airports but that FlyerTalkers have not verified. If you are familiar with any of these, please edit this wiki and move them to the above category!

-IAH (terminal C south)
-LIH (main terminal)
-MSP (checkpoint 4)

Links to other PreCheck-related threads on FlyerTalk
Airports with no Pre whatsoever:

GST
Print Wikipost

TSA Pre✓™ (PreCheck) on Alaska Airlines - Questions and Experiences (2012-21)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Well, I went through PDX early Saturday morning. Used my iPhone BP and got the three beeps. Was through in about two minutes--had to give the TSO a minute or so to get signed in on the x-ray. I dropped my rental car off at 6:00a and was in the BR by 6:10a. Perhaps you Android people should switch to iPhones if your eBPs aren't being scanned?

By the way, for anyone interested: LAS scans all BPs in the First Class line. The TSO didn't notice (or care) that I was on AS. He just said "enjoy" and opened the gate for me. I again used my iPhone BP and had no issues, although it took a couple seconds for the scanner to lock in on the BP.
Old May 20, 2012, 1:45 pm

nevermind!

Last edited by FoxCrane; Nov 15, 2012 at 10:51 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by rickolis
On the return portion of my flight back from SAN, I also got the three beeps... too bad there's no PreCheck at SAN! This time, I used the iPhone app's boarding pass. Kinda looking forward to flying out of SEA again to see if it works again.

as of yet very few airports have it just enjoy what we have ~
Old May 20, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I am 2/2 (once in SEA and once in PDX).

Both times the BP was printed up at the kiosk.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Now 3/3...got the triple beep in PDX with BP printed up at kiosk.

There were about 12 people in front of me and none of the online checkin BP's gave the triple beep.

I was the only one in line and was through in about 15 seconds.
Old May 26, 2012, 7:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
My wife and I tried to use PreCheck for the first time when flying out of SEA yesterday. We're both NEXUS members.

No love My boarding card gave a single beep, and hers didn't scan at all.

We'd done web check-in and printed our own boarding cards, but based on this thread re-printed from a kiosk at the airport and used the kiosk cards.

Sigh.

Neil
Old May 26, 2012, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
My wife and I tried to use PreCheck for the first time when flying out of SEA yesterday. We're both NEXUS members.

No love My boarding card gave a single beep, and hers didn't scan at all.

We'd done web check-in and printed our own boarding cards, but based on this thread re-printed from a kiosk at the airport and used the kiosk cards.

Sigh.

Neil

ONLY works for Pre CK
Old May 26, 2012, 11:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by edgewood49
ONLY works for Pre CK
What do you mean? We were trying to use PreCheck. We provided our PASS ID in the trusted traveler program field on the Alaska website.

Neil
Old May 27, 2012, 7:50 am

What do you mean? We were trying to use PreCheck. We provided our PASS ID in the trusted traveler program field on the Alaska website.

Neil
And ? I was told that the PreCk was for the high mile customers ?
Old May 27, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by edgewood49
And ? I was told that the PreCk was for the high mile customers ?
2 options to be pre check eligible

A-Have an invitation from the airline and enroll (invitations have been to select MVP/G/75K members)

B-Enter the PASSID in the "Trusted Traveler Number" field when booking. Those that participate in CBP's Truest Traveler Programs, NEXUS/GE/SENTRI all have PASSID #'s and are all pre check eligible. These members can also use pre check on all airlines offering the service, since it is slaved to your passid not an internal airline list.

I did not receive an invite from AS (even as an mvpg) but have used pre check thanks to my GE membership.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kwl747
2 options to be pre check eligible

A-Have an invitation from the airline and enroll (invitations have been to select MVP/G/75K members)

B-Enter the PASSID in the "Trusted Traveler Number" field when booking. Those that participate in CBP's Truest Traveler Programs, NEXUS/GE/SENTRI all have PASSID #'s and are all pre check eligible. These members can also use pre check on all airlines offering the service, since it is slaved to your passid not an internal airline list.

I did not receive an invite from AS (even as an mvpg) but have used pre check thanks to my GE membership.
<75K
Old May 29, 2012, 9:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

0 for 2

I talked to an Alaska agent and she called some guy. They are going to investigate and get back to me. I'm wondering if because Delta munged my middle names onto my first name when passing the reservation to Alaska if the name isn't matching the nexus name and that is an immediate reject.

I'll be on a Delta flight from EWR on Thursday, will see if I get three beeps there even though no lane available.

One other note: at SEA this morning they had split the elite and precheck into two skinny lines and had separate tsa I'd checks for each line.

Neil
Old May 29, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AS
0 for 2

One other note: at SEA this morning they had split the elite and precheck into two skinny lines and had separate tsa I'd checks for each line.

Neil
This is a positive development. They sort of had 2 lines before, but you ended up at the same agent regardless.

On a separate note, has anyone had success with Pre-Check in SEA when flying on Delta or AA. Will the fact that I'm using my AS MP number mean that it still might work?
Old May 29, 2012, 6:19 pm

TSA Adds AS to Pre✓™ Program

I've had success with flying DL
Old May 29, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
It was still one combined line for elite and TSA precheck this morning - no difference. And it still took 10-15 minutes to get to the agent.

They really need to expand the pre-check to the other security checkpoints. The north checkpoint is S-L-O-W and waiting there may be a compete waste if your boarding pass doesen't send you down the pre-check scan line. I'm batting ~50%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.