Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~
Print Wikipost

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Gold
Kudos to Alaska Partner Desk

I have been trying to get tickets for PDX-GUM so we could spend the winter in the tropics. I had spoken with about 4 or 5 other agents previous to the gentleman I spoke with last night and was less than impressed with they're demeanor and flight results (or lack thereof). However, the gentleman I reached last night was really great. He didn't seem rushed, he took the time, found out what I wanted, noted our fairly extreme flexibility and he made it happen. While seemingly 2 coach class awards are nothing special, he took the time and found the connections and my wife and I are really grateful.

I bring this up just because I think the partner desk as a whole continues to deserve recognition for helping all of us find awards when some of the partners themselves are (in my opinion) very stingy with award space.

Somehow I didn't even catch his name, but it was much appreciated and if any supervisors from the Partner Desk happen to look, please know we're thankful. I am often quick to criticize when I think we experience a devaluation in Mileage Plan (still feel like an MVPG even though I'm not any longer) but when I get good service as I was provided last night, that makes me want to keep providing business to Alaska.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA 1MM Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Silver
New Gold Upgrade tool online

My first post, and it's not a question, so not sure what the best forum is for this. On the AS website, the RC upgrades have gone electronic as of today. Paper ones can be used till end of this year. What's cool about the tool is that you can now search for upgradeable fares, whether you use paper or electronic, online. There is a new filter - "guest upgrades" - that in addition to the traditional green and gold "U" now shows a black "U". You still have to call to book the paper upgrades, but now you can find the qualifying flights before you call.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:19 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by wasian
My first post, and it's not a question, so not sure what the best forum is for this. On the AS website, the RC upgrades have gone electronic as of today. Paper ones can be used till end of this year. What's cool about the tool is that you can now search for upgradeable fares, whether you use paper or electronic, online. There is a new filter - "guest upgrades" - that in addition to the traditional green and gold "U" now shows a black "U". You still have to call to book the paper upgrades, but now you can find the qualifying flights before you call.
Nice first post, thanks for the heads up wasian! Please follow the discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ades-here.html
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:36 pm

MCO to Hawaii using $99 Visa companion

Hi There!

New to the AS board. I've been reading some posts related to my question but would like to check on something.

We are looking to fly from MCO-HNL and staying in HNL for 3 nights. Then flying HNL-KOA and return home ITO-MCO. The flights will be in Feb of next year

We'd usually book using miles with Delta (Silver Medallion) but just used most all of miles to book trip to Ireland. Was pointed in direction of getting $99 companion cert with the Alaska Airlines Signature Visa (already applied for and approved) and then booking one First Class ticket and using companion for my wife.

So, here's my question(s)

(1) - Going from MCO-SEA-HNL requires an overnight stay in SEA. Since we've never been and have friends in the area, would we be allowed to stay an extra day (Fly in Sat night and out on Mon)

(2) - Can I even book this flight with the extra night in Seattle and the change of airports on the big island using the companion voucher?

(3) - If I book with AS, would the first class include all of the Hawaiian inter-island flights (HNL-KOA and ITO-HNL)?

(4) - Can I use this flight to get miles on DL? (will we both get the miles even if only paying the $99? (I think I know the answer to this one but since I'm already asking the others, I figured I'd throw it in)

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by hegehog
Hi There!

New to the AS board. I've been reading some posts related to my question but would like to check on something.

We are looking to fly from MCO-HNL and staying in HNL for 3 nights. Then flying HNL-KOA and return home ITO-MCO. The flights will be in Feb of next year

We'd usually book using miles with Delta (Silver Medallion) but just used most all of miles to book trip to Ireland. Was pointed in direction of getting $99 companion cert with the Alaska Airlines Signature Visa (already applied for and approved) and then booking one First Class ticket and using companion for my wife.

So, here's my question(s)

(1) - Going from MCO-SEA-HNL requires an overnight stay in SEA. Since we've never been and have friends in the area, would we be allowed to stay an extra day (Fly in Sat night and out on Mon)

(2) - Can I even book this flight with the extra night in Seattle and the change of airports on the big island using the companion voucher?

(3) - If I book with AS, would the first class include all of the Hawaiian inter-island flights (HNL-KOA and ITO-HNL)?

(4) - Can I use this flight to get miles on DL? (will we both get the miles even if only paying the $99? (I think I know the answer to this one but since I'm already asking the others, I figured I'd throw it in)

Thanks for the help!!!!
Welcome!
  1. Yes, most (all?) AS fares allow free stopovers in SEA (and PDX, if applicable).
  2. Yes, on the stopover; no, on the other.
  3. No, the companion discount code only applies to AS/QX metal, and they don't serve inter-island routes (and ITO not at all). Your best option might be to fly open-jaw into HNL and out of KOA and buy a separate HNL-KOA/ITO ticket.
  4. Yes.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by lKTyS7UPY
Welcome!
  1. No, the companion discount code only applies to AS/QX metal, and they don't serve inter-island routes (and ITO not at all). Your best option might be to fly open-jaw into HNL and out of KOA and buy a separate HNL-KOA/ITO ticket.
Thanks.

So would this work? I could book a RT ticket in first on AS for MCO-HNL with the SEA stopover and use the companion ticket voucher. Then I'll book a separate reservation on HA for my inter-island flights and pay cash. When I price it out, it comes out to be $10 more expensive for the 2 bookings (booking fees?). But this way I can also book a coach ticket on the HA flights (which would save me $440) for a 20 min flight I think that's worth it.

I'd take the KOA-SEA-MCO home but I run into the same problem, I'd have to stay overnight in Seattle. With the island hopper on HA ITO-HNL, I make it in time for the red eye to SEA and also the connecting flight to MCO.

Thanks for helping me understand how the companion fare works.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by hegehog
Thanks.

So would this work? I could book a RT ticket in first on AS for MCO-HNL with the SEA stopover and use the companion ticket voucher. Then I'll book a separate reservation on HA for my inter-island flights and pay cash. When I price it out, it comes out to be $10 more expensive for the 2 bookings (booking fees?). But this way I can also book a coach ticket on the HA flights (which would save me $440) for a 20 min flight I think that's worth it.

I'd take the KOA-SEA-MCO home but I run into the same problem, I'd have to stay overnight in Seattle. With the island hopper on HA ITO-HNL, I make it in time for the red eye to SEA and also the connecting flight to MCO.

Thanks for helping me understand how the companion fare works.
Yes, that sounds reasonable. Just keep in mind the usual caveats when booking tight connections on separate reservations.

(The $10 difference is likely additional taxes/fees. With a stopover, your ticket is probably priced as MCO-SEA + SEA-HNL instead of simply MCO-HNL.)
Old Aug 20, 2011, 7:15 am

Award flight availability will open up soon for my I-90 roadtrip next year. I'm probably going to use AA miles for a saver award on Alaska. I probably will take the 7:55 AM Eastern departure out of EWR to SEA, arriving at 10:55 AM Pacific. I will then ride the light rail to downtown and take a Ducks tour.

I've never flown Alaska before. How would you describe the experience? How is the general on time performance? How is the inflight service and entertainment in coach? What have you seen as the significant differences with other airlines in general and American in particular?
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Award flight availability will open up soon for my I-90 roadtrip next year. I'm probably going to use AA miles for a saver award on Alaska. I probably will take the 7:55 AM Eastern departure out of EWR to SEA, arriving at 10:55 AM Pacific. I will then ride the light rail to downtown and take a Ducks tour.

I've never flown Alaska before. How would you describe the experience? How is the general on time performance? How is the inflight service and entertainment in coach? What have you seen as the significant differences with other airlines in general and American in particular?
The flight should be on time since the aircraft remains on the ground overnight and the crew staffing the flight should have arrived in EWR around 5pm the evening prior.

Check-in and gate agents in EWR are from Delta.

The plane is a pretty standard seat pitch 737-800, relatively new with leather seats. Alaska has no built-in IFE; instead they rent DigEPlayers (I think it is $12 now, so pretty pricey for a dated product.) There is Gogo inflight WiFi available.

There will be 3 drink services and buy on board opportunity, credit card only. Flight attendants are generally friendly, probably less formal than AA.

PS: The light rail downtown works great. Head across the skybridge to the garage and follow the signs.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by seacarl
Alaska has no built-in IFE; instead they rent DigEPlayers (I think it is $12 now, so pretty pricey for a dated product.) There is Gogo inflight WiFi available.
For EWR-SEA, the digEplayers are $14 if rented onboard, or $12 if reserved ahead of time. You can reserve players anytime from booking until 24 hours before departure.

Internet is available on the digEplayers, a smartphone or iPod Touch for an additional $7.95 charge, or on your laptop or iPad for $12.95.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by baliktad
Internet is available on the digEplayers, a smartphone or iPod Touch for an additional $7.95 charge, or on your laptop or iPad for $12.95.
Internet access is free on your smartphone through September.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Internet access is free on your smartphone through September.
True, but OP is planning for a trip which will occur in 2012:

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Award flight availability will open up soon for my I-90 roadtrip next year.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 8:57 am
Suspended

I have a simple question but I am new to Alaska Air. I received these "Board Room" passes and I was wondering about them:

1. Can I use these if I am not flying Alaska Air at the time?
2. Do they have any value?
3. Are there extra charges after one gets admitted to the "Board Room."
4. What is actually in the board room, and is WiFi available and if so, is it free?

Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
bb
Old Aug 21, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G

Yes

They are not to be sold, bartered or traded, but how AS would know that is a mystery

Premium drinks are extra. 3 well drinks and the food options are no charge. This could include pancakes, oatmeal, soup, veggies, chips & salsa, etc. depending on the time of day and location

4. What is actually in the board room, and is WiFi available and if so, is it free?

Chairs, some tables, newspapers, airline magazines, usually a very nice view of the airport activities. Wireless internet is free of charge.

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
I have a simple question but I am new to Alaska Air. I received these "Board Room" passes and I was wondering about them:

Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
bb
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by BOB W

Yes

They are not to be sold, bartered or traded, but how AS would know that is a mystery

Premium drinks are extra. 3 well drinks and the food options are no charge. This could include pancakes, oatmeal, soup, veggies, chips & salsa, etc. depending on the time of day and location

Chairs, some tables, newspapers, airline magazines, usually a very nice view of the airport activities. Wireless internet is free of charge.
The passes can only be used at Alaska's own BoardRooms, not any partner lounges. Alaska has BoardRooms in LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA and ANC, all behind security. The LAX BR could also be accessed if you are flying VX or B6. The SFO concourse is also used by some of SW's flights. The SEA BR is near the front of the terminal and since all gates are accessible without reclearing security you can use this one regardless of which carrier you are flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.