Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will AirTran Disappear?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest would need to triple its staffing for Gate Agents to handle assigned seating.
Only if Southwest learned nothing integrating FL's systems and efficiencies.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I should have noted that Southwest is not known for meeting its implementation schedules unless the project has top priority. The overhaul of Rapid Rewards was delayed repeatedly for a total of over 18 months. Upon rollout the software was effectively unusable for more than a week. It was a major embarrassment. I hope Southwest does better with this transition. If it goes smoothly I'll suspect that AirTran's software staff carried the load.

By the way, was it AirTran's staff who implemented the Rapid Rewards <-> A+ Rewards transfer web pages? That was the best web implementation of a new FF feature that I have ever seen. It was and is shockingly good.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
FL IT has been integrated into WN IT for what its worth.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by PA42
FL IT has been integrated into WN IT for what its worth.
So hopefully the PMFL developers are leading website projects instead of the PMWN developers.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:11 am

So hopefully the PMFL developers are leading website projects instead of the PMWN developers.
The FL guys forgot how to code on a Apple IIE.

Just kidding. (sort of).
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I should have noted that Southwest is not known for meeting its implementation schedules unless the project has top priority. The overhaul of Rapid Rewards was delayed repeatedly for a total of over 18 months. Upon rollout the software was effectively unusable for more than a week. It was a major embarrassment. I hope Southwest does better with this transition. If it goes smoothly I'll suspect that AirTran's software staff carried the load.

By the way, was it AirTran's staff who implemented the Rapid Rewards <-> A+ Rewards transfer web pages? That was the best web implementation of a new FF feature that I have ever seen. It was and is shockingly good.
NSX, I might caviot this with IT projects. They sure can build terminials quickly, and ahead of schedule. See HOU and DAL opening in a couple of months. In addition they can jump into cities quickly. Look how fast Denver is built up. Now carrying more passengers than UA.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
Look how fast Denver is built up. Now carrying more passengers than UA.
All documented evidence to the contrary.

United Airlines remained DIA’s dominant carrier in 2012, although its market share by passenger total slipped to 40.47 percent from 2011’s 42.96 percent, down 5.3 percent, the airport reported.

Southwest accounted for 23.62 percent of DIA passengers in 2012, up 9.3 percent from 2011.

Southwest’s total includes flights by AirTran Airways, which Southwest has acquired.
Denver Business Journal
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender
All documented evidence to the contrary.

Denver Business Journal
Should have said quickly approaching. Both UA/CO and WN/F9 carry close to the same passengers carried. 13 M. What the Denver paper does not addressed is their 20 M difference includes ASE, Republic, Skywest, Shuttle America and a bunch of other subs for UA. Half of UA passengers are actually passengers of other airlines out of Denver -RJ carriers subcontracting. And this is growing yearly with UA. Source passengers carried for 2012 on Denver airport website. My point being WN has sure gone into a project, ie focus on Denver, take as much of the Denver market share as possible, in a very short time from two entrenched hub and spoke hub carriers. When WN wants to they can create and take new market share fast.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by MrMan
Both UA/CO and WN/F9 carry close to the same passengers carried. 13 M.
That might be instructive if WN and F9 were alliance partners or corporate siblings.

Which they are not.

Southwest chose to muscle another LCC on its turf instead of buying it outright as with FL.

Other than consequently lower DIA fares, the significance escapes me.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:34 am

FL's last day in ROC is April 14. I will miss the Citrus call sign and 717's . Hopefully DL will re-deploy them up here .I only wish WN would introduce a ROC-FLL n/s
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:57 am

Southwest chose to muscle another LCC on its turf instead of buying it outright as with FL.
If you are talking about F9 then the pilots over there would be the culprit..
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by United_727
FL's last day in ROC is April 14. I will miss the Citrus call sign and 717's . Hopefully DL will re-deploy them up here .I only wish WN would introduce a ROC-FLL n/s
April 13th actually, we have our first red belly flights the morning of the 14th.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by iTanNicNic
April 13th actually, we have our first red belly flights the morning of the 14th.
Sorry Looking forward to some new metal here,for sure
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:40 am
Suspended

I hope Airtran stays. It is a superior airline in many respects.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Just discovered that with the exit of Air Tran in CLT, there are now no nonstops from ATL-CLT on WN. Right. Because I want to turn a 45-minute flight into a 3-hour ordeal and go to BWI first.
Unreal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.