Search

When will AirTran Disappear?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
When will AirTran Disappear?

I have never flown AirTran, mostly because being based in Europe I don't do a large amount of domestic US flights. But I have read a number of threads here praising their qualities, and hope to have the chance to at least do one flight with them before they disappear in the Southwest merger. That opportunity will come in early March.. but I wonder, will they still exist as an independent unit then? Any clear picture as to when they completely lose their identity?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
While changes are possible I think for March travel it's unlikely.

Clear picture? much further out depending on city and route.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
At least a few more years.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh that's great, guys! I will look forward to giving them a try!
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by PA42
At least a few more years.
If you live in Seattle, it's a few more days. AirTran pulls out of SEA next week to be replaced by WN. I'm so disappointed. Discovered FL this year as I repudiated UA and flew numerous transcons, usually upgrading to BC with cash or points. Great product, great people. I will not be flying Southwest however.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:53 am

Its not really a few more days. Last day of service to SEA is today.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How about the Fort Myers/Orlando to Atlanta routes? And also Atlanta to New York LGA? Those are the ones I will be trying.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:54 pm

March 2013 they will be around. That schedule is already selling.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:12 am
Suspended

Airtran isn't going away any time soon.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just got a new Airtran A+ Visa to replace one that expires this month. The expiration date on the new card in 2016....
Old Mar 2, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, my first airTran flights are coming up next Tuesday, with FLL-ATL-LGA reserved. I still hope it will be airTran planes all the way so I can have the full airTran experience!

Is there anything to watch out for, such as punitive charges if I don't manage to check in online? A lot of European low cost carriers charge large amounts if you don't check in online, or if you don't pay for checked baggage in advance.

My fare was very cheap at USD95 for the whole itinerary. Do they, however, offer paid upgrades at the airport, or do all these seats go to elites which I am not, being an airTran newbie?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
Well, my first airTran flights are coming up next Tuesday, with FLL-ATL-LGA reserved. I still hope it will be airTran planes all the way so I can have the full airTran experience!

Is there anything to watch out for, such as punitive charges if I don't manage to check in online? A lot of European low cost carriers charge large amounts if you don't check in online, or if you don't pay for checked baggage in advance.

My fare was very cheap at USD95 for the whole itinerary. Do they, however, offer paid upgrades at the airport, or do all these seats go to elites which I am not, being an airTran newbie?
They will offer paid upgrades during the online checkin process.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by Concerto

Hi Concerto,

Nice to see a fellow bmi/DC refugee here!

You will definitely be on an AirTran plane.

RE upgrades: I might be able to help, at least in part. Check your inbox for a PM in the next 1/2 an hour or so.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:53 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
From a current thread in the Southwest forum on connecting the networks:

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Here are some interesting excepts from remarks by Tammy Romo - Chief Financial Officer and Senior Vice President of Finance - at the JPMorgan Aviation, Transportation and Defense Conference at March 4, 2013 8:45 AM ET

[W]e are now selling coach air itineraries at 39 airports for travel beginning March 10. As you might recall, we began testing in a handful of markets in January and that went really, really well. And we are now in the process of rolling it out to our combined 97 destinations, including international. The rollout is running very smoothly, and we remain on pace to fully connect the networks in April.

Early results from connecting our networks are strong, with codeshare bookings of over $1 million a day and while very early, these results are quite encouraging and provide us further confidence that our $400 million net synergy target is achievable.
I assume she means, except for international bookings (which will redirect to AirTran until WN's booking system is international capable) because she later states:

Our reservation system replacement efforts are also on track, and we expect to deliver Phase 1, which will deliver, of course, our international capabilities in 2014.
And so as I mentioned earlier, we still have 11 airports that we still need to convert, of which most of those are international because those will stay on AirTran metal until we enable international -- our international reservation system.
She also discusses the continuation of folding FL into WN:

We're launching service to San Juan in April and Branson, and we'll be converting 7 of the AirTran markets to Southwest Branson in March; Charlotte, Flint, Portland, Rochester in April; Wichita in June; and Grand Rapids in August. So that would leave only 11 AirTran airports to be converted through 2014. And most of those 11 destinations would be international, of course
The full transcript is available here (but, requires a free log-in setup).
It appears Southwest intends to complete the transition by the end of 2014.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It appears Southwest intends to complete the transition by the end of 2014.
I'm tremulous with excitement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.