Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What is the status with Southwest purchase of Airtran?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

What is the status with Southwest purchase of Airtran? I don't hear much about it, or see much of it on the web sites? When will Airtran's aircraft get new colors? Or, will Airtran be operated as a seperate business? A lot of Airtran flights out of DAY, but no Southwest. When can I use my Southwest Rapid Rewards points for flights out of DAY? Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 12:37 pm

Southwest is having issues negotiating with the pilots union, and has presented multiple scenarios for the integration. http://www.ajc.com/business/southwes...f-1198877.html
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest is having issues negotiating with the pilots union, and has presented multiple scenarios for the integration. http://www.ajc.com/business/southwes...f-1198877.html
Looks like the Pilots just settled with an agreement:
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....H7z1ZETA%3D%3D

I get the impression the Pilots Union were not infavor of the AirTran purchase.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:24 pm
Original Member

Rumors

From wnflyguy at www.airliners.net:

"Hot new rumor this week is the Nov 13 schedule release for next years summer flying going to have the biggest tweaks to both WN and FL flying.

Rumor has it that a FULL Code share will be released, Open seating on economy seats only on all FL flights, Bags fly free and no change fee at FL.

717 FL crew base coming to LAS or MDW.

New WN/FL crew base coming to LAX,TPA or FLL.

5 small FL cities being cut.

MIA FL flights moving up to 10 flights a day."
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by CALeeIII
Rumor has it that a FULL Code share will be released, Open seating on economy seats only on all FL flights, Bags fly free and no change fee at FL.
Open seating is where I get off.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Cool. Another seat for me.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by LegalTender
+1 ^
I've got 16 credits in the bank so I'll be looking for a RT to blown them on in the coming weeks.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:29 am
Original Poster

How does open seating help keep Southwest fares low? Is the computer software to allow assigned seats really that expensive?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:26 am
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by swdke
How does open seating help keep Southwest fares low? Is the computer software to allow assigned seats really that expensive?
I think that's what they want people to think. My guess is that a few people like it so they call it a 'perk' and keep it.
It must have been easier/cheaper back when things weren't computerized and they gave out those colored cards with numbers instead of boarding passes though.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
According to WN staff, it dramatically reduces boarding time, allowing quicker 'turns". It may not be open seating, but WN a/c spend far less time parked at the gate (and more in the air) than do their legacy counterparts.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by CALeeIII
From wnflyguy at www.airliners.net:

"Hot new rumor this week is the Nov 13 schedule release for next years summer flying going to have the biggest tweaks to both WN and FL flying.

717 FL crew base coming to LAS or MDW.

New WN/FL crew base coming to LAX,TPA or FLL.

5 small FL cities being cut.

MIA FL flights moving up to 10 flights a day."
It's about time we start seeing some tangible changes, I know the contract problems were holding things up but that really shouldn't have been an issue with things like FF reciprocity.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Let us see how WN does in boarding times when they come to ATL airport. That is such hogwash about faster boarding. I have been on Airtran flights that boarded fast when the GAs had the incentive to get the flight moving. It is all about the GA and FA attitude and tone in getting faster boarding to work. One recent flight, I was lucky to have a good Airtran crew and they proactively started to checking in carryons that might be a problem.

Also, I wonder if WN's free bag policy helps limit the carryon problem. I felt most airlines should have a courtesy checkin of bags that are 30 pounds or less. This could help people checkin light suitcases and not overburden the cabin.

The only WN change I am looking forward to is the free credit for flights not made. I get free bags at Airtran as an elite member anyway. They have already shown their disdain for XM radio. At this point, I will not boycott WN. But I will have absolutely no loyalty. All my corporate bookings will be on DL because I want my assigned seats. Besides WN is no cheaper for trips made on less notice. I have seen a huge jump in sale fares from ATL to big cities like Philly, BOSTON, NY, Chicago.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:05 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by saneman
That is such hogwash about faster boarding.
Correct. Southwest studied assigned seating in 2007 and concluded the boarding time difference was minimal. The decision was based on other factors, possibly including reduced gate agent workload for changing seat assignments.

Also, I wonder if WN's free bag policy helps limit the carryon problem.
Correct again. Bag fees would delay flights measurably due to spinning (looking up and down the aisle for overhead space) and gate checking.

The only WN change I am looking forward to is the free credit for flights not made.
Being able to chance or cancel flights and re-use the money is addictive. It is also fairly complicated to do well, but you have FTers here to help. You need to keep a spreadsheet that includes the expiration date and dollar amount for each record locator.

My advice to prepare for funds re-use: Read the FAQ sections on this subject. Go back 2 days later and read them again. Make a spreadsheet for your reservations. Then you will be ready to go when the new functionality appears.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:16 am

Business Finance Magazine's interview with WN CFO Laura Wright provides some additional insight.

http://businessfinancemag.com/articl...ra-wright-1108
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Correct. Southwest studied assigned seating in 2007 and concluded the boarding time difference was minimal. The decision was based on other factors, possibly including reduced gate agent workload for changing seat assignments.
Now with online checkin and kiosk based checkins being more common these days, one would think that the need to go to a gate agent to get seats changes must have gone down dramatically. We can sort it out at the kiosk itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.