Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass benefit rapidly deteriorating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
... United Club membership also provides access to a lot of Star Alliance lounges ...?
Yes, I think that's a feature of the United Club membership, but I don't know the details. I should, because I have a United Club lifetime membership that I seldom use because Miami is not much of a UA market.

This page sends me here for Star Alliance lounge locations, which seems to mean only joint operated Star Alliance lounges, rather than lounges operated by other Star Alliance airlines:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/lounges

Other partner lounges are here:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ations/bf.aspx

JPM Sapphire's
Thank you, I have corrected the error in my post. There is no JPM Sapphire card, it's JPM Reserve.

Last edited by mia; Jul 28, 2017 at 8:51 am
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
Yes, I think that's a feature of the United Club membership, but I don't know the details. I should, because I have a United Club lifetime membership that I seldom use because Miami is not much of a UA market.
It was a feature when it was of relevance to me some years back, but I now don't really need it.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by mia
American Express Platinum = Priority Pass + Skyclub access when flying Delta + Centurion lounges (USA) + Amex lounges (Int'l) + Escape lounges + Airspace lounges.
I totally agree with your post---and would not be surprised to see more third party lounge networks affiliate with someone other than Priority Pass. Anecdotally, it seems like Chase and United have some friction in their relationship. Like everything else in life, change continues to be constant.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:21 pm
mia

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
... seems like Chase and United have some friction in their relationship...
Chase assembled their credit card business through Merger and Acquisition, and I think they are ripe to lose at least one airline and one hotel partner due to conflicts, but I would guess WN or BA rather than UA.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
Chase assembled their credit card business through Merger and Acquisition, and I think they are ripe to lose at least one airline and one hotel partner due to conflicts, but I would guess WN or BA rather than UA.
Hopefully they lose Marriott to Amex. Not sure where WN or BA would go in the unlikely event. Maybe Barclays?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:04 am

I thought that the JPM Sapphire's United Club membership also provides access to a lot of Star Alliance lounges beyond just those that are UA lounges?
Here's the rule. The key word is "participating". You have to be a member to sign in to find out the details.

Source: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...nitedClub.aspx

It was nice when Amex The Platinum was able to access the United Club.

Attached Images  
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:24 am
mia

Originally Posted by WWads
...Not sure where WN or BA would go in the unlikely event. Maybe Barclays?
I could see BA moving to either American Express or Barclays. American Express issues BA's co-branded cards in the United Kingdom, and Barclays is a British bank.

No opinion about Southwest.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
We were in the lounge at San Jose airport a few weeks ago and it was empty. I guess the airport is small enough that most people do not arrive early for security.

It was also an airport with a longer TSE Pre line than the regular line.

We live in Denver, and it is shocking to me that no PP lounge exists at DEN. I suppose it would be tough to decide where to put a lounge, since the concourses are so far apart and require a train to get to/from.

I would love to see some sort of lounge in Oakland. We are there a lot.

I hope more lounges are yet to come.

I was somewhat disturbed to hear about college students drinking in the lounges. I hope the students were over 21 and had proof of age. Who needs drunken teens on a plane. That would make for a very uncomfortable flight for a 62-year-old woman who is already white-knuckling the bumpy air.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler

DONE, but not through Priority Pass, use your American Express Platinum card for entry:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...k-bdl-msp.html

http://www.escapelounges.com/escape-...akland-lounge/

Last edited by mia; Jul 29, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Add me to the never-had-a-PP-problem list. I've used it maybe two dozen times over the years in a wide variety of places. It's been a great card benefit for me.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
We were in the lounge at San Jose airport a few weeks ago and it was empty. I guess the airport is small enough that most people do not arrive early for security.
The Club @ SJC is specially designed for international departures, especially for the NH's SJC-NRT. It is a condition why NH is willing to operate a route down at SJC.

We live in Denver, and it is shocking to me that no PP lounge exists at DEN. I suppose it would be tough to decide where to put a lounge, since the concourses are so far apart and require a train to get to/from.
DEN is a UA hub with limited international routes. It is not a surprise that UCs are what DEN has.

There are several reasons why there is practically no lounge in OAK.

1. City of Oakland is unwilling to invest on the airport, while both SFO and SJC have been making significant investments at the same time. Even BART's OAK extension was not funded by the city.

2. The largest airlines @ OAK is WN. FWIW - those who travel with WN do not need perks like lounge access.

3. OAK's international exposure is the worst among all 3 airports.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
the benefit keeps getting better! Now with 2 free guest. Never any issues. Not sure where the OP is experiencing this problem ... not where I am going!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mia
Chase (Sapphire Reserve, JPM Reserve, Ritz) charges no guests fees, but the lounge can still set a guesting limit.
Like the AS Lounges. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...b-c-space.html No guests allowed and they can actually bar the card holder too for capacity reasons.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by garykung

There are several reasons why there is practically no lounge in OAK.
OAK now has a lounge, accessible with the AX card, but not with PP, so this is good news for AX cardholders, and not for PP cardholders.

I've been refused at SFO (told to return after a time certain), and EZE has hesitated (prior to restrictive hours).
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I thought that the JPM Sapphire's United Club membership also provides access to a lot of Star Alliance lounges beyond just those that are UA lounges?
Correct. A UC membership will get you access to all *A Business Class lounges, including partner operated lounges, with the exception of the SKL in SIN, where you are relegated to the KF Gold lounge.

Unlike with United Clubs (where any same day BP will get you in), you must be departing on a *A flight to use this feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.