Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yulred
On a separate note:

http://www.livemint.com/2011/08/0122....html?atype=tp

“Star Alliance told us that they will draft a letter on behalf of Jet Airways which the ministry needs to sign as a no-objection certificate for Jet to also be a Star member before Star gives a green signal for Air India to join,” a top ministry official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. “This was an atrocious demand and was completely rejected.”

A second ministry official, who also did not want to be named, confirmed the demand: “They said either we take Jet and Air India or none is welcome.” The row could escalate, with the Indian authorities planning to issue an official statement, he said. “We will reply appropriately to Star. As far as we are concerned, Star can forget India,” he added.

Looks like LH's shortsighted backing of AI, in order to expand in India as quickly as it could, could explode spectacularly in their faces.
*A's response:

A Star Alliance spokesperson said: “We have always, in public and in conversations with the government, made it very clear that we believe that because of the importance of the Indian market, it requires more than one local carrier to satisfy the travel demand of the alliance customers. We have the same situation in China or in the US.”
It seems its the Star Alliance disease is going around. It causes delusion and euphoria and belief in exceptionalism. No alliance has made the demand that they must have two airlines to meet the demand. Making demands is the wrong approach for people grounded in reality.

Intriguingly :

Gerhard Girkinger, chief project manager at Star Alliance...wrote to the carrier on 30 July and said that much of the work was “done”.

“I can confirm the status of the integration based on the attached spreadsheets. From my perspective, this means we are basically done although I need formal sign-off. All the other components depend on a joining date,” Girkinger wrote.

Klick said the aviation ministry hasn’t “formally” told the alliance that if Air India isn’t allowed to be part of the grouping, then no other Indian airline would.

Livemint is apparently associated with the Wall Street Journal, so I m tempted to take it seriously.
I also remember reading a statement by an AI official something like, "We have a written letter stating that all the requirements have been met."
Star Alliance said in a brief statement that its members and Air India "have jointly concluded" they would suspend the Indian carrier's "integration" into the pact.

"This is due to the fact that Air India has not met the minimum joining conditions that were contractually agreed in December 2007," it said.

An Air India official said the airline planned to contact Star Alliance to clarify its position.

"I can confirm Star Alliance has suspended our membership," said the official, speaking on condition of anonymity. "On July 30 we got a letter from Star Alliance's chief project officer saying everything was in order for our joining and just some formalities are left."
If the AI official is correct, then Star Alliance was expecting more than what the application entailed.
Here is a link
Air India's Star Alliance Application Suspended
No one thinks that AI is perfect. IN this forum, some posters would make one think that AI is the worst airline ever. Clearly, AI does not have loyal flyers. What we have is equivalent of "Tea Party" and "Birthers", who are very passionate and very vocal.

If Star Alliance is trying to force GoI into submission, AI bashers would turn blue before Star Alliance gets 9W. That would serve Star Alliance right.

Note to those who continually misquote me: The above sentence is not the same thing as Yaatri wanting AI to join Star Alliance or Yaatri wanting 9W to join Skyteam.

Last edited by Yaatri; Aug 1, 2011 at 2:34 pm
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: AY plat, EB gold, LH Sen
No, of course not. Instead, *A prefers equally rubbish airlines like:

SAS
UA
BMI
TAP
US
Air China

Service is virtually non-existent on all those airlines. AI is as good, if not superior, to them in most aspects of hard and soft product. In fact, SAS and TAP are pretty much on par with IB as some of the weakest service Euro legacy carriers out there.

And then theres some pretty financially questionable airlines, some of which are resurrections of failed airlines (Swiss, SN), while others might well have collapsed without government interference protection (AC).

*A's 'good' reputation relies almost exclusively on SQ, NZ and LH (premium cabins only). The rest of the airlines - apart from the utter crap listed ones listed above - are mediocre at best.

So get off your high horses. ST has a terrible FF program in terms of redemptions and general benefits, but in terms of service standards, its no better or worse than *A.
Originally Posted by imverge
Don't forget SPANAIR! They are horrible!

And how did you all forget the WORST of the lot - EGYPTAIR
Old Aug 1, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mahajanvikas
And how did you all forget the WORST of the lot - EGYPTAIR
Not really. Left it out deliberately. Their new product is head and shoulders above all of *A's North American carriers.

Some people I know flew LHR-CAI on MS and CAI-LHR on BD (same ticket) on work (the company has a contract with *A). Before leaving, they were dreading the thought of flying MS. They flew both segments in Y.

On the outbound leg, they got one of MS' new A330s, complete with WiFi on board. Catering was excellent, as was the rest of the hard and soft product. On the return leg, they were on BD and it was...well, not one nice thing to say about. Relatively poor catering, hard product etc.

I m sure MS has some older planes that aren't quite up to scratch, but I would dare suggest that their new Long Haul product, based on the trip reports and reviews I've read, would put it, at the very least, in the 2nd tier of *A carriers - ahead of the likes of 3rd tier carriers like UA, SK, CA, TP and the other 'must-avoids'. In fairness to BD, they sometimes price their premium cabin very competitively.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:06 pm
Suspended

AI/*A fiasco

IF what LiveMint reports is correct (and I have no reason to doubt them) the Government and AI were right to reject the dual carrier demands of *A.

In fact, I feel they should go a few steps beyond and curtail landing rights of *A carriers within strict bilateral limits. Let the MidEast carriers (who are anathema to *A) pick up the additional demand.

If *A claims that alliance decisions are made solely on commercial criteria and governments do not play a role, then they obviously know diddly about doing business in Dilli.

Considering the fact that the Indian market is growing exponentially, and the vast majority of the nouveau flyers have no FF alliance membership or aspirations, I am sure AI can pick up a good chunk of this business if they simply improve their product, regardless of their alliance membership or lack therof.

Of course many members of this board (FT) will continue to shun them for the lack of FF miles (as Yaatri has pointed out so aptly), but that should not affect AI's fortunes too much.

Last edited by FedUp2; Aug 1, 2011 at 4:13 pm
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by FedUp2
In fact, I feel they should go a few steps beyond and curtail landing rights of *A carriers within strict bilateral limits. Let the MidEast carriers (who are anathema to *A) pick up the additional demand.
I doubt GoI will do something like that, retaliation never had a good outcome. Both German and US Govt can do the same too if that happened.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by mobilebucky
I doubt GoI will do something like that, retaliation never had a good outcome. Both German and US Govt can do the same too if that happened.
The current bilateral with Germany is under utilized by Indian carriers. Only AI has one daily flight to FRA while LH flies to quite a few cities in India. All the Govt needs to do is not extend the current bilateral rights. Eventually LH will completely use its side of the capacity and will want more.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
And what happens when the other countries retaliate and curtain the landing rights of Indian Carriers?

Considering the fact that the Indian market is growing exponentially, and the vast majority of the nouveau flyers have no FF alliance membership or aspirations, I am sure AI can pick up a good chunk of this business if they simply improve their product, regardless of their alliance membership or lack therof.
Tall claims for an Airline that would struggle to stay in business if it weren't for a repeated injection of funds from the GoI
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by SQ421
And what happens when the other countries retaliate and curtain the landing rights of Indian Carriers?

Tall claims for an Airline that would struggle to stay in business if it weren't for a repeated injection of funds from the GoI
What retaliation? As far as I can tell, having followed this issue for a while now, this is a battle between GoI and LH, not GoI and *A.

The big issue here is LH's decision to act as AI's mentor/cheerleader for *A since 2007. They did it to get more access to the Indian market, and it worked initially. However, AIs failure to move forward led to frustration on LH's side - the best example being that LH passenger side executive, who decided to state, not too many months ago, that LH would rather take 9W on. That was when the battle lines were drawn. LH got frustrated and said something that they knew full well would piss off the Indian government. Maybe he thought that, with AI on the precipice, the government would have no choice but to allow both in, to save AI.

It was a gamble. And it didn't work. Incidentally - and I think this is worth noting - not too many *A carrier CEOs have been shooting their mouth off over AI's induction. The only one I know of, was that LH fellow a couple of months back (can't remember his name, head of the passenger side I think). GoI doesn't seem too happy about *As insistence on pushing the two carrier/one alliance issue either - I think they've been making it clear, behind closed doors, that its only going to be one carrier in *A.

Either which way, if it turns into a battle, it will be between LH and GoI. SQ etc are probably not going to be affected. At the most, LH owned airlines like LX and OS may get dragged in, but even thats unlikely. UA and all have direct flights, so I doubt they're going to be affected. As noted elsewhere, only AI flies to Germany, so its not going to be any great loss for India if Germany retaliates. Not that I expect GoI to do anything more than refuse to give Germany more rights/allow the A380.

As for Government injections - thats a bit unfair, since, if I m not mistaken, AI is obligated to serve unprofitable routes, and most of the time, GoI officials (bureaucrats, politicians) treat AI like their own private service, hitching rides in premium cabins for free. The Govt also routinely commandeers widebodies for state visits. If they started paying up, or allowed AI to slash routes on the basis of unprofitability, AI might start performing better. Yes, service is hit-or-miss, but morale is low, and that has an impact on service standards. However, as noted elsewhere, the hardware is all in place, and its not half bad. Certainly better than the likes of UA (who's financial gymnastics are worthy of more debate than AI's government injections - after all, in AIs case, some of the injections include money that the government should be paying AI).

The problem with all the complaints coming out from the *A folk on FT is that AI, even in its woes, offers a better flight experience than most of the third-tier *A carriers. No, its not up to scratch with SQ, NZ etc, but its certainly better than your UAs and CAs and BDs. This is a case of poor management by AI AND GoI (who bear a significant chunk of the blame for AIs woes).
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
No, its not up to scratch with SQ, NZ etc, but its certainly better than your UAs and CAs and BDs. This is a case of poor management by AI AND GoI (who bear a significant chunk of the blame for AIs woes).
After seeing the youtube video of those clueless AI managers, I have very strong doubts. I actually experienced something very similar with an IC flight to Muscat. But they handled it better and provided food. However they very so stubborn about not telling the reason for the delay. Eventually we were put on the next flight and methinks it was that there were not enough pax for the first flight and they just wanted to combine two flight's pax/
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
What retaliation? As far as I can tell, having followed this issue for a while now, this is a battle between GoI and LH, not GoI and *A.
Yet you speak of GoI restricting *A flights to/from India to channel traffic elsewhere. Do you think this move will go unreciprocated by the other *A carriers.

Besides, how does letting Middle Eastern carriers pick up the traffic help AI in any way shape or form? They already carry the most international traffic out of and into India. Giving them more access to Tier 2/3 cities will only serve to hasten AI's demise (which in itself might not be a bad thing).

The GoI machinery isn't going to stop using AI as its private fiefdom, ever (unless AI were to be privatized, and unfortunately, that ship has sailed). That being the case, where is the incentive for anyone but the price sensitive casual traveller to pick AI over any other alternative? When I book a seat in C, I don't want to be at the mercy of some ministers daughter deciding to fly, and havnig to bumped for it, or risk missing my next connection because the AI flight's departure was held up to accomodated a late running minister.

Entry into *A may just have been the right carrot that AI needed to start getting its house in order. With that no longer being the case, its interesting to see how AI goes about with its overambitious plans for expansion (in both airframes and routes).
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Star has released a report:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/press/starairindia-prp/
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
People please pay special attention to this first statement:

'The member airlines of the Star Alliance network and Air India have jointly concluded that the integration of Air India into the global airline alliance will be suspended.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Temporarily Closed

Pending moderator review.

Babu
Moderator, Airlines of India
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Thread Reopened

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I am now reopening this thread, with the hope that we can continue a civilized discussion, exhibiting respect to our fellow posters. Thanks to all for your patience during the temporary closure.

Babu,
Moderator, Airlines of India
Old Aug 4, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
From What went wrong with Air India's entry into Star Alliance?

Listed below are key take-aways from the communication sent by Star Alliance to the civil aviation ministry on why AI's entry is rejected, according to sources.
- AI as a brand is not considered up-to-the-mark in terms of service quality. AI did not take up brand-makeover exercise.
- With 31,000 employees on-board, AI's aircraft-to-employee ratio is 1:280, which is unheard of in any international airline.
- With a poor equity base of Rs 145 crore and mounting debts of around Rs 45,000 crore, AI's financial health is not considered sound.
- Negative news from all quarters on AI was disliked by member countries at Star Alliance.
- AI, as promised earlier, has not been able to hive off its engineering, maintenance and overhaul division into separate entities. Singapore Airline and Germany's Lufthansa work on a smart business model of having separate subsidiaries for allied activities to churn more revenues.
- AI, after merging with former Indian Airlines in 2007, has made cumulative losses of over Rs 13,000 crore.
- Of the 27 member airlines at Star Alliance, 25 voted against AI in July when the airline was due to join the global network.
As far as I can tell, this is the only news article that provides detailed reasons for *A's rejection of AI. How credible is this? Are these good reasons for *A to have rejected AI?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.