Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air India and the Star Alliance (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:30 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyjet787
I don't think GoI would officially know who all voted against.

Here is a hypothetical situation. If AI can get its act together and lets say by the end of the year apply to *A again and this time they agree to allow 9W also to join would *A consider inducting AI again?
That hypothetical scenario could occur if everyone was acting rationally.

However, GoI and AI are never going to accept that compromise now...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
I do not think you are going to see as much vindictiveness on GOIs part as some OPs fear. The Prime Minister himself has said in Parliament that AI is in serious trouble, and that a solution will be a long term quest. India is a 3 trillion dollar plus economy and will not let tit for tat aviation diplomacy control or even impact its global positions significantly. Trying to penalise this or that airline or alliance would have precisely that effect which is why I dont think its going to happen

From all indications Jet and Kingfisher are free at this time to commence negotiations with OW and *A/Skyteam. What AI has lost is the negotiated first mover advantage and I think the mandarins realise that the state of AI is one in which insistence on this and thereby blocking another airlines entry into *A is simply infeasible

On the issue of landing rights bilats etc, these are generic negotiations (an interesting discussion in and of itself, involving factors which we have discussed elsewhere). But the determining decision on A380 slots into India is not going to be AI in my view. Even if it was a major factor in the past it will be much less of a factor now. The fact that AI is (businesswise) a zombie is now I think not contested even in the Bhavans of New Delhi. Were no employees blackmailing govt through opposition MPs, I also think you would have seen some tough decisions.

Even so, a "'cut losses"' attitude is at last beginning to emerge. One indication --- until recently the asset value of some AI debt was way above the risk premium warranted on nationalised Bank portfolios. The finMin has just moved a policy note that this bizarre decision be reversed. It has also taken an extremely toiugh position on equity infusions into AI and is literally having to be coerced by the PMO to hand out even the few slops that it is.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:59 am

I would be surprised to see Air India survive into 2013.

It is no longer a case of "if" but rather a case of "when". The recent cash infusion will carry them through the upcoming few months, but there will be another crunch in Q1 2012 and again in Q3 2012 that I highly doubt they will be able to make it through.

If the Government was smart, they would start planning for an orderly shutdown now rather than waiting for it to blow up in their face in a few months.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by B747-437B
I would be surprised to see Air India survive into 2013.

It is no longer a case of "if" but rather a case of "when". The recent cash infusion will carry them through the upcoming few months, but there will be another crunch in Q1 2012 and again in Q3 2012 that I highly doubt they will be able to make it through.

If the Government was smart, they would start planning for an orderly shutdown now rather than waiting for it to blow up in their face in a few months.
The Ministry of Finance is in agreement with you for sure! They are really concerned at the impact the AI zombie is beginning to have on the public fiannces...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by rathin100
The Ministry of Finance is in agreement with you for sure! They are really concerned at the impact the AI zombie is beginning to have on the public fiannces...
If they think this is bad, they should wait until the airline goes splat in the middle of high season (where the cash crunch is inevitably worst). Hundreds of thousands of stranded passengers, students missing the start of classes, businessmen having deals collapse, etc... Not to mention tens of thousands of public sector workers out of jobs. The news channels will have a field day. Expect morchas, bandhs and probably a few suicides. A political nightmare, likely salved by throwing more money at some sort of half-assed refund/rebook scheme backstopped by a Government guarantee because nobody has the political will to stand back and say "let the chips fall as they may". Ugly days ahead I fear.

Meanwhile Nero fiddles while Rome burns...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:38 pm

Need to get you to North Block, Sean... Why dont you write an oped explaining this for one of the pink (business) newspapers, please, as a public service? I guarantee publication...

Here could you explain why cash crunch is worse in summer?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I'm sad that AI didn't make it into Star. I've not flown AI - when I was based in DEL my domestic flying was on 9W - so I can't comment on their service, but the route network would have helped me a little on some upcoming RTWs.

I'm now back to the drawing board trying to fit India and Nepal into the RWSTAR options without too much backtracking.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by rathin100
Here could you explain why cash crunch is worse in summer?
Airlines fund themselves with cashflow from future ticket sales, held on the books as an unflown service liability to tomorrow's passengers.

Peak seasons are when you have to deliver service to more passengers (hence more marginal cash outflow), while at the same time generating less cash from future ticket sales (since the peak season is followed by a lean season).

You have to carry a cash cushion that is greater than the difference between these two otherwise you start having cashflow issues. Air India has virtually zero cash on hand, so the cash crunch for them could be potentially fatal.

It is a house of cards. Once a single service provider moves to recover debts by seizing assets, everyone will follow within hours. Confidence in Air India's ability to survive is at an all time low right now, it wont take much to trigger the panic that can bring the house down.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:43 am

Programs: SQ-Elite GOLD / ANA / EVA
AI not paying pilots

Any views on this and how this will affect possible *A membership. Ofcourse these arent the only issues that will affect *A member for AI but these seem to be the most curent hurdles.

Is there any chatter about 9W trying for *A?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyjet787
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India

Star Alliance announced on 13 December 2007 that it had invited Air India to join as a member. After several delays, the final joining date was set at 31 July 2011.[2][3][4]. Star Alliance claimed that Air India had failed to meet the minimum standards for membership for that deadline and as a result Air India's invitation to join the Star Alliance has been suspended. [5]. On the other hand, officials at the Ministry of Civil Aviation of India, said the rejection came after the ministry didn’t agree to a demand from the alliance to give Jet Airways the go-ahead to join the grouping.[6] Air India has also denied that the airline had not met the conditions prescribed for joining Star Alliance.[7]. Interestingly, informed sources within Star Alliance said that concerns on Air India's entry were raised by United Airlines and Air Canada, both the airlines have a code-share agreement with Jet Airways

Interesting. So I guess 25 out of 27 voted for and 2 against.

Air Canada has an interline agreement with AI as well so what is your point!!!! AI is facing a daily loss of over Rs 28 crore rupees and it is paying Rs 9.1 crore per day in interest alone on various loans. The best course of action for the GOI is to cremate this monster before it destroys the lives of it's employees.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 8, 2011 at 5:29 pm
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
These are some of the reasons AI did not make it.....

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/air-india.../172773-3.html
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ajnz
I'm sad that AI didn't make it into Star. I've not flown AI - when I was based in DEL my domestic flying was on 9W - so I can't comment on their service, but the route network would have helped me a little on some upcoming RTWs.

I'm now back to the drawing board trying to fit India and Nepal into the RWSTAR options without too much backtracking.
Austrian used to go to KTM.

Qatar does go to KTM via Doha. (UA partner)
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
One airline which benefits by AI not joining Star is CO/UA. AI is a direct competitor vs CO on Newark/JFK routes. Inflight product of AI is superior to UACO. Also AA is also breathing a sigh of relief.

There is still an outside chance that AI can be reinstated in a few months after all the dust settles down.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by hyho61
There is still an outside chance that AI can be reinstated in a few months after all the dust settles down.
Reinstated? They never were a member. I also doubt any reconsideration of AI's membership will happen in few months as AI's problems are too deep and severe. Now they can no longer count on the added income of *A feed.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
...The best course of action for the GOI is to cremate this monster before it destroys the lives of it's employees.
I thought it was the other way around - that the employees destroyed the "monster".

Judging by numerous reports about AI staff (and a few personal experiences as well), I think AI staff deserve everything bad that may be in store for them.

[OK, go ahead, flame me]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.