Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sunrise
Understood. But why didn't the airline or the third party ( justfly.com) contact me yet ?
I will call AB today to see what I can do.
Why? Likely because the customer service aspect of AB going forward is non-existent. But, more importantly, if you booked through one of the opaque third-parties which call themselves TA's, your beef is with that operation. A valuable lesson for future travel.

As to what you have, if you are satisfied with a termination at JFK, get yourself rebooked to JFK and make your own way onward.

If you happen to have travel insurance, it may cover the cost of getting you from JFK to your residence. Note that it is not just CC's. You may have travel interruption insurance because you purchase it annually, on a per-trip basis or it is a side benefit of other policies or memberships.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:52 am

thanks for the advice. I always book my ticket through Amex and I was surprised to find that even my Premier Rewards Gold Card does not cover trip cancelation / trip delay. I was wondering if I purchase insurance now ( post declaration of cancelation / rerouting) whether the insurance can cover any such rerouting ( paying for JFK - BOS in my case)

An update : I called AB ; after hearing 30 minutes of pleasant music ( went along well with my breakfast), I was told that DUS-BOS will operate on 24th September, it is the last day.

Last edited by sunrise; Sep 16, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by rove312
We're also booked BOS-DUS on Sept 24. As far as I can tell, it's still showing as the last day of operation of that flight. It's on our itinerary and appears to be bookable.
that's what it looks like right now; however the previous poster was inquiring about the reverse direction which has been announced to be terminated on that very day.
So you might indeed be lucky to be on the last AB flight out of BOS.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
I was wondering if I purchase insurance now ( post declaration of cancelation / rerouting) whether the insurance can cover any such rerouting ( paying for JFK - BOS in my case)
In the unlikely event that they don't examine the claim closely, they might, but I'd caution against attempting to make such an 'artificial' claim.

Last edited by LukeO9; Sep 16, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by geosch
that's what it looks like right now; however the previous poster was inquiring about the reverse direction which has been announced to be terminated on that very day.
So you might indeed be lucky to be on the last AB flight out of BOS.
That was my mistake working in this stressful situation and using a different device while traveling, and I've corrected it: we're returning DUS-BOS on 9/24.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:10 pm

Then I would not expect that flight to be operated any more. AB says that DUS-BOS-DUS is cancelled from 9/24 on.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:51 pm

That was my mistake working in this stressful situation and using a different device while traveling, and I've corrected it: we're returning DUS-BOS on 9/24.
@rove321 -- we would be flying together
Why don't you call AB and see if you get the same answer. You will be on long hold, but they have just one music playing !!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Had an Award ticket in Business booked through QF for TXL-ORD-TXL late Sep/ Oct. QF has now rebooked me via LHR on BA.
Pretty happy with that outcome. Hopefully others with Award tickets via AA/BA are similarly rebooked.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by geosch
Then I would not expect that flight to be operated any more. AB says that DUS-BOS-DUS is cancelled from 9/24 on.
Where do they say that? DUS-BOS can still be booked for 9/24, but not later dates. I can't fully read the release in German, but I'm thinking they might be offering rebooking to JFK then because they expect to be overbooked, or they messed up when doing that statement.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
Where do they say that? DUS-BOS can still be booked for 9/24, but not later dates. I can't fully read the release in German, but I'm thinking they might be offering rebooking to JFK then because they expect to be overbooked, or they messed up when doing that statement.
As a native German speaker, I'd have to say that AB would no longer offer any flights from DUS to BOS on Sep24. AB's English 11Sep2017 post on their Facebook account mentions an ambiguous termination date: "A few days ago, airberlin announced cancellations of a number of individual long-haul flights. These cancellations will also be brought forward to 25 September 2017. This affects connections between Berlin and Abu Dhabi, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco, as well as Dusseldorf and Boston." However, the flights are still available for booking - so I'd have to assume that the 24Sep2017 DUS-BOS-DUS rotation is still on.

I will be in TXL later today to go to ZRH on LX - if the lines aren't too long, I might as well put the question on the DUS BOS 24Sep2017 flight directly to AB.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:38 am

As a matter of fact, the information sheet in German says that "DUS-BOS-DUS" is eliminated "from 9/24 on".
Whether or not this is correct, mixed up or some misunderstanding, I cannot judge of course.
In theory it could apply to the round trip only, meaning that passengers going DUS-BOS only can still do so on the 24th. It probably depends what will be done with the aircraft after that. From what I read the affected aircraft will go to the leasing company (headquartered in Ireland), so they might or might not be sending it to some C1 location (I think another aircraft previously used by AB was flown to ZRH a few days ago). But maybe this particular one is scheduled to take up some other remaining TATL service for the time being.
If I were in your shoes I'd call AB and try to get some confirmation, and if they do not fly I would at least try to get rebooked to JFK.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:32 am

@rove312 - did you call AB ? Can you please do so, so that we get double confirmation ?

@awestphal - please keep us posted. Danke !

Last edited by sunrise; Sep 17, 2017 at 12:39 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:34 pm

Does AB allow free checked baggage ( <23kg) on Z class (justfly)?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Does AB allow free checked baggage ( <23kg) on Z class (justfly)?
I thought the terminology 'Just Fly' had gone away again, that economy was 'Light' 'Classic' and 'Flex'. Anyway, Just Fly came and Light comes without checked baggage. Not sure what actual booking class that equates to.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:13 pm

Not sure what class I fly in. How do I find out ? I am traveling trans-atlantic ( hence Zone 4). Under just fly there the box is blank ( as in I cannot carry any checked bagagge)

Answering my question : We are allowed 1 checked in luggage <23kg free to and from USA irrespective of the travel class.

Last edited by sunrise; Sep 17, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.