Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AB Award seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by redtailshark
Although JFK showed availability when I searched AA.COM whenever I attempted to book it, the website returned an error message "This flight is no longer available"
Same experience here (DUS-MIA route in my case) - I called in to the EXP desk and they could see availability in Y. Apparently a glitch in the AA award system displaying AB J when only Y is available.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by guv1976
[SIZE=1] Of course, you could have booked the same flights with Avios without paying any surcharge. BAEC does not assess surcharges on AA flights within the Americas, or on AB flights worldwide. But BAEC would have charged Avios on each flight you flew.
Yes, I am aware of that. The YQ comment was with respect to my original plan, which was to redeem from CONUS to EU...the CUN stopover was force majeure.

But even if I wanted TUS-TXL using this routing on BA there are problems.

Actually booking this on BA.COM is one obstacle. If you can concoct this and the Dilbertian website doesn't crap out, more power to you.

Another issue as you note is the per-sector Avios charge. For this redemption it requires five sectors: AA F from TUS-DFW-CUN followed by AB J CUN-DUS and AB Y DUS-TXL. The redemption mileage demand using Avios would be very much greater than AA's reasonable request ( = 50k each pax, minus the 5k returned because of AAdvantage Citi membership).
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
To avoid the Dilbertian Avios surcharging on BA, I just booked AA awards on AB metal for Shark family next summer.

I could not make the itin work using any of the US gateways for the week in question. Although JFK showed availability when I searched AA.COM whenever I attempted to book it, the website returned an error message "This flight is no longer available" - Jeff Robbo style, quite disappointing from AA I must say.
I've noticed that as well and it is getting annoying.

But.... victory in the end. I was able to force the stopover at CUN and then fly CUN-DUS in AB J. All booked on AA.COM using multiseg tool at saver rates.
Thanks for that idea.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
I did AB TXL-MIA last month in economy with points and have done the reverse in the past. Usually can't book online and have to call for the reservation. AB does a good job. The food is good, free wine, the staff nice, you usually can find open seats so it's not as cramped as AA's flights and they have back of the seats players with movies, books, tv shows, music which helps the time fly by. They also darken the cabin at night and don't wake you up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.