Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AB Award seats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

AB Award seats

I was able to get 2 award seats from MIA to DUS on May 3, 2014. I needed one more. Does AB make more awards seats available over time? Should I keep checking each day or is this it?

I don't know if it matters but I am going through the AA web sight to pick up the awards.

Any insight would really help!

Thanks
Old Oct 6, 2013, 6:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AB Award seats

Yes especially last minute if the flight is not moderately full
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Follow on question! Is there a service that would give you an email when an award seat opens. I know expert flyer doe sbut does not include Air Berlin. any ideas?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by fosteref
I was able to get 2 award seats from MIA to DUS on May 3, 2014. I needed one more. Does AB make more awards seats available over time? Should I keep checking each day or is this it?

I don't know if it matters but I am going through the AA web sight to pick up the awards.

Any insight would really help!

Thanks
You might also want to check to see if award flights are available via JFK/ORD and/or TXL, with AA flights within the US.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC
I have also managed to bag a couple of reward seats MIA - DUS. The business cabin is fairly full so I'm not sure why these awards were available, but glad they were.

We really wanted MIA - TXL which does have a flight on the same day (Feb 23) and the cabin is much less full. the Berlin flight doesn't seem to have any reward seats for any dates, is this usual?
I'll keep looking to see if I can change the flight - is it likely that any reward seats will turn up for Berlin.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I have no idea how likely it is that award seats to TXL will open up for that date, but you won't be able to change the destination without paying a fee (unless you have status with AA). In more general terms, AB does offer award seats to TXL. I have an award ticket for DCA-ORD-TXL-MUC next June.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:39 am

I want to use my AA miles to Europe but need to avoid BA and the high taxes, so AB comes in handy. While I can get in C to TXL all connecting flights to Germany and the rest of Europe are only in Y. How bad is their Y seat in Europe and let's say I check in at WAW for a C flight from TXL to the U.S. but only Y is offered to TXL, what luggage restrictions do I face? Will they give me the C allowance?
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:32 pm
Original Member

AB Award seats

C allowance
Old Nov 18, 2013, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
C allowance
Thanks^
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGill
I have also managed to bag a couple of reward seats MIA - DUS. The business cabin is fairly full so I'm not sure why these awards were available, but glad they were.

We really wanted MIA - TXL which does have a flight on the same day (Feb 23) and the cabin is much less full. the Berlin flight doesn't seem to have any reward seats for any dates, is this usual?
I'll keep looking to see if I can change the flight - is it likely that any reward seats will turn up for Berlin.
Is MIA-DUS actually operated by AB or AA?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:47 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
To avoid the Dilbertian Avios surcharging on BA, I just booked AA awards on AB metal for Shark family next summer.

I could not make the itin work using any of the US gateways for the week in question. Although JFK showed availability when I searched AA.COM whenever I attempted to book it, the website returned an error message "This flight is no longer available" - Jeff Robbo style, quite disappointing from AA I must say.

But.... victory in the end. I was able to force the stopover at CUN and then fly CUN-DUS in AB J. All booked on AA.COM using multiseg tool at saver rates.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by largeeyes
Is MIA-DUS actually operated by AB or AA?

MIA-DUS/TXL are both operated by AB. AA doesn't fly to Germany from MIA.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by redtailshark
To avoid the Dilbertian Avios surcharging on BA, I just booked AA awards on AB metal for Shark family next summer.

I could not make the itin work using any of the US gateways for the week in question. Although JFK showed availability when I searched AA.COM whenever I attempted to book it, the website returned an error message "This flight is no longer available" - Jeff Robbo style, quite disappointing from AA I must say.

But.... victory in the end. I was able to force the stopover at CUN and then fly CUN-DUS in AB J. All booked on AA.COM using multiseg tool at saver rates.
Of course, you could have booked the same flights with Avios without paying any surcharge. BAEC does not assess surcharges on AA flights within the Americas, or on AB flights worldwide. But BAEC would have charged Avios on each flight you flew.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:51 pm
Original Member

AB Award seats

As guv indicated, BA does not charge YQ on AB awards.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:11 am

hello,

we fly with AB in Feb. (high season) from CUN to MUC and would like to avoid their regular seats. Therefore, we have the following alternative:
1) we take and pay for 2 XL seats and 1 regular seat (one of us would have to suffer ;-) or
2) we make an upgrade to C class with topbonus miles.

Both things are not easy to perform. I've described our problems with reservation of certain XL seats in different post (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...tion-ab-7.html), so I'd like to ask only, if you think, there's any chance for us to upgrade to C class with topbonus miles? Chargeable upgrade is out of discussion due to its very high cost (at least now).

When I log into topbonus account and search for seats in C available as award seats, there're such seats for our date but only in Y. However, according to expertflyer most of seats in C are still empty. If such situation remains unchanged, how possible it is that AB will allow some (we need 3) of unsold seats to be used as award seats?

I've also checked other flights on the same route but on earlier dates (December and January). Even if expertflyer indicates 75% of C cabin as free, topbonus site offers only one or max. two award seats. Do you think it's possible to get 3 upgrades at time of boarding or directly before?

If chances for three upgrades to C are rather little, I think it might be better not to wait too long and reserve XL seats as long they're available. They're not the kind of seats I'm dreaming about (particularly because of toiletes next to them), but at least they offer much more legroom than regular seats.

What would you do in such situation?

Best regards, Bartek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.