Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

AirNZ Airpoints to withdraw from Westpac Hotpoints programme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2009, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club

Have just read that Air NZ airpoints is withdrawing from the Westpac Hotpoints programme from 7 November. So anyone who usually changes their hotpoints to NZ airpoints must do so by 6 November.

Having read in another thread about the enhancements to the Globalplus card programme, I assume that NZ is going to concentrate on this programme alone.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:59 pm

Programs: *G (NZ SQ), MPC Gold, Amex Plat
Airpoints will also no longer be offered with the ASB Credit Cards (True Rewards)
Old Sep 11, 2009, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Just as I suspected. Think the Globalplus stable of cards will be the only ones available before very long.

Bit of a bummer from my point of view. I put everything on credit card to earn hotpoints and then transfer them to NZ airpoints which I use for upgrades.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by splatnz
Airpoints will also no longer be offered with the ASB Credit Cards (True Rewards)
anyone has a firmed date for the ASB true reward?
when will the official news will be released?

cheers
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
Just as I suspected. Think the Globalplus stable of cards will be the only ones available before very long.

Bit of a bummer from my point of view. I put everything on credit card to earn hotpoints and then transfer them to NZ airpoints which I use for upgrades.
I used to do that with Hotpoints until last year when they increased the amount of hotpoints needed for conversion. Globalplus still offers the best conversion rate I believe.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I may have to think about changing credit cards - a hassle though.

zqsn - I found the info about Westpac on my internet site when I checked into the credit card section. Something similar may appear on yours.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by nzlilibet
Yes, I may have to think about changing credit cards - a hassle though.

zqsn - I found the info about Westpac on my internet site when I checked into the credit card section. Something similar may appear on yours.
umm...internet site you mean online banking? so far ive just checked my online banking, truerewards website and asb website, nothing can be found yet, i hope asb do inform us as early as possible.

pretty unfortunate im not obligable to apply for bnz's credit card as im not a nz resident, although asb allowed me to apply for visa platinum. would sooo love BNZ global plus over asb as earning rates is way way better.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by splatnz
That's a bummer.

Nothing on ASB's site about it yet, but I guess it will be included in the next statement or True Rewards 'update' cycle. It'll trigger me to move my last True Rewards over to Airpoints then probably kill off the ASB card.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:37 am
Original Poster

zqsn - sorry, just to clarify it was on my Westpac internet banking site. But I had to go all the way in - first to redeem hotpoints and then to redeem airpoints (which I was doing to check how many I had available). It was only at this very last stage that the message came up about it ceasing.

Whether it's the same with the ASB internet banking system I wouldn't know, but it may pay to go all the way in as I did. Just a thought.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 2:00 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
If I actually did most of my spend on my Westpac card, I'd quite like their new scheme. The "Holiday Credits" are the same value as the NZ redemptions, but you can use them towards any travel related expenses. That means you can buy a flight on NZ and still earn airbucks.

Of course, it doesn't help if you want to combine CC points and airbucks.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Looks like they are going to make GlobalPlus the exclusive cards to earn Airpoints in New Zealand. First Diners Club now Westpac and ASB. Maybe they should consider teaming up with an Australian bank to introduce an Aus based co-branded card. Further development of Airpoints was one of NZ's top priorities. Not sure how they want to develop it.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

It certainly looks like this will be the case - globalplus or nothing.

There's a question on the MyVoice survey asking if one has a globalplus card, so they know about a fair few of us.

Am wondering if we'll get a letter offering preferential membership. I remember some years ago getting such a letter - think it was Amex, but not sure if it was linked to globalplus.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:30 pm

This all sounds like deja vu; akin to in AU when QF introduced direct sweeping only, though there are subtle differences.

Can't NZ based Amex MR members sweep to Airpoints (like AU based Amex MR members can)?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by anat0l
Can't NZ based Amex MR members sweep to Airpoints (like AU based Amex MR members can)?
No, they can't. That capability did exist in the past, but was discontinued in ... ??? ... 2006?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Thumbs down

Well this is unwelcome news - I got rid of Globalplus back in 2005 and went with Westpac, and now that I primarily live outside of NZ, am not so keen to wrangle with BNZ. OH well, at least I have the lousy ratio Starwood pays whenever I'm keen to get a few more APD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.