Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ in the news

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:47 pm

All Blacks join bikkie outcry

Two All Blacks last night joined the throng of outraged passengers demanding Air New Zealand reinstate its in-flight biscuits.

Frequent flyer and All Black lock Ali Williams couldn't see the sense in axing the biscuits on main domestic routes.

"Why would you want to do that? It's stupid," he said at Auckland Airport yesterday. Williams - who played in last year's Air New Zealand Cup - then joked: "I'll have a word to the sponsors."...
NZ Herald
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:48 pm

Passenger power could save biscuits

The national airline may yet crumble in the face of the biscuit backlash.

Air New Zealand plans to banish the freebie on its Boeing 737 main-trunk flights after tomorrow, but spokeswoman Pam Wong said a concerted customer rebellion could prompt a rethink.

"Everything we have heard back has been positive," she said. "But if some time in the future there is a change in what customers want, then once again we will look at providing something that suits them. It really comes down to what they want."...
NZ Herald
Old Mar 9, 2007, 1:50 pm

Bumpy ride ahead for airport

Hamilton Airport has made money despite a significant drop in international passenger numbers and a costly terminal upgrade.

But Waikato Regional Airport Ltd chairman Jerry Rickman predicted a bumpy ride for the remainder of the financial year because of interest rate rises and a cut back schedule by Air New Zealand-owned Freedom Air.

The company is also talking with the region's businesses to see whether a multimillion dollar runway extension, aimed at increasing freight traffic, will take off. The airport is already in the midst of a $15.5 million terminal upgrade and is in a legal wrangle with Air New Zealand over its $5 domestic departure levy....
Stuff
Old Mar 9, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
"Why do people continue to fly Air New Zealand, which is considered by many frequent flyers to be the world's worst Western airline?"

BWAHAHAHAHA!!

He needs to be introduced to the joys of US domestic, with its delightful bare-cupboard lounges featuring pay-and-tip bars

Nice to see the Herald keeping up its reputation as a paragon of investigative journalism.

justakiwi
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by justakiwi
"Why do people continue to fly Air New Zealand, which is considered by many frequent flyers to be the world's worst Western airline?"

BWAHAHAHAHA!!

He needs to be introduced to the joys of US domestic, with its delightful bare-cupboard lounges featuring pay-and-tip bars

Nice to see the Herald keeping up its reputation as a paragon of investigative journalism.

justakiwi
I just about lost my onboard coffee reading that line.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 10:13 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by justakiwi

BWAHAHAHAHA!!

justakiwi
Agree. Who on earth is Daniel Ford, he must be on another planet?

Yes, QF have superior inflight service in NZ and Y TransTasman, but the new NZ international Business class is superb, and the Koru and International lounges are miles ahead of anything in the US and most European lounges from what I have seen recently.

I am looking forward to NZ AKL SFO in about six weeks, but not the dreaded RCC domestically and internationally.

I just hope that NZ is very careful with its outsourcing proposal for front line staff - it would be very sad for me if a lot of old faces went.

Last edited by WellingtonFF; Mar 9, 2007 at 10:26 pm
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Air NZ not caving on biscuits

NZ Herald

Air New Zealand will not cave in to public pressure as passengers today face their first day without a free biscuit.

"We're not reinstating it," spokeswoman Pam Wong said yesterday. "As mentioned before, we have introduced this based on surveys and everything else that we've done."

Ms Wong said Air NZ had not been swayed by the outcry that erupted after news it was axing the biscuit and replacing it with paid snacks on all 737 flights.

Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Eagle Air is the subsidiary operating Beech 1900D. Air Nelson does the Saab 340 and Q300. J32 & Beech 1900C by Air National and Vincent Aviation respectively.
Oops - my mistake. As usual Kiwi Flyeris on the money. The Vincent Aviation aircraft seem to be increasingly commonly used during summer - is there any chance that Eagle will get some more B1900Ds or will we just see some routes moving to Air Nelson?
Old Mar 11, 2007, 6:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Not just in summer. Agree there are more and more Vincent Aviation and Air National operated flights. From what I can tell, Vincent Aviation tends to be used on new routes and some added flights to existing routes; while Air National tends to be used more scattered throughout the network served by Eagle Air.

There are several examples in my ongoing trip report mini tour of NZ.

Given the extra Q300 a/c I expect some will go to upgauging some existing Beech 1900D flights (possibly combining flights as well), which then frees up some of the Beech 1900D to operate some of the flights currently being run by Air National and Vincent Aviation.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Mar 11, 2007 at 6:45 pm
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:24 pm

If you thought the New Zealand Herald could get any more obsessed about a minor issue -

The Great Biscuit Debate
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

slow news month
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
NZ422 CHC-WLG was oversold this morning. I was supposed to be on the flight, but had to cancel due to being unwell. I'm sure I would have been fine, but several pax were IDB'ed. IIRC, NZ doesn't have a compensation policy for IDB let alone VDB. The IDB'ed pax would have received nothing. This would be totally unacceptable in the US.

Last edited by CHC Kiwi; Mar 13, 2007 at 12:23 am
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

I haven't been IDB'ed on NZ for a while, but yeah back then no compensation even for their own elites
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:42 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I haven't been IDB'ed on NZ for a while, but yeah back then no compensation even for their own elites
What does IDB stand for?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:44 pm

Involuntary Denied Boarding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.