Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ in the news

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:49 pm

Re: Fran O'Sullivan: Air NZ-Qantas bid - Get over it

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Wow. Ms O'Sullivan's article makes for quite a good read. I think the end of the article deserves being highlighted as well:

The draft decision cites various authorities that note firms which receive competitive favours at home rarely survive on competitive world markets and that vigorous competition often represents the best policy, boosting exports, trade and jobs.

This is the guts of the decision.

Air NZ's major shareholder - the Government - should take note and request the airline to raise its game - not try to alter the competition rules.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite, Qantas Bronze, United Mileage Plus, Virgin Blue Velocity, Accor Advantage Plus,
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Fran O'Sullivan is spot on with the whole of her article. It mirrors some of my comments made in my recent thread "some ramblings" particularly about a narrow minded bunch of bean counters being in control, and with staff being off side. The next twelve months will be fascinating to watch. In the longer term, I don't think Geoff Dixon will be too worried. I would be fascinated to find out who promoted the idea in the first place.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
This might have been noted already, but CNN's Richard Quest must have been in the country recently - this Saturday on his traveller program he profiles NZ as part of a RTW itin (at least that's what I gleaned from the ad).
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Yup - see Richard Quest's blog.
Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:03 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
He has an FTer's dream job!
Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

He is an FTer (although doesnt post much).
Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:27 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
He is an FTer (although doesnt post much).
Interesting! Anyone from here attend any of the meetings I'm sure he had while here?
Old Nov 7, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yep he was on ASB Business Breakfast last week and talked about the future of flying etc....
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:39 am

Air New Zealand to close Chch call centre

Air New Zealand has confirmed that it will close its call centre in Christchurch.

The call centre's 86 staff were informed at a meeting in Christchurch on Wednesday.

Air New Zealand Group General Manager, Norm Thompson, says so many people are booking online, that caller demand has dropped significantly....
Radio NZ

Now back to watching the GOP getting whipped
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:50 am

New route lures Chinese tourists

New Zealand is ramping up the competition with old rival Australia over the potentially lucrative market for Chinese tourists.

Though Chinese visitor numbers to New Zealand have now hit 100,000 a year, the average length of stay of these visitors is just three days....
Stuff
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

union considers legal action over closure

NZ Herald

union is considering legal action after Air New Zealand announced yesterday it was closing its Christchurch call centre, with the loss of 86 jobs.

The devastated workers were told the news at a meeting in the afternoon. Air New Zealand is centralising its call centres in Auckland and expects to offer some of the Christchurch workers the opportunity to shift.

Although the closure had been proposed weeks ago, yesterday's announcement was still received with anger, said the Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union, which represents 69 of the workers.

Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:51 am

Union considers legal challenge as Air NZ closes call centre

A union is considering legal action after Air New Zealand announced yesterday it was closing its Christchurch call centre, with the loss of 86 jobs.

The devastated workers were told the news at a meeting in the afternoon. Air New Zealand is centralising its call centres in Auckland and expects to offer some of the Christchurch workers the opportunity to shift....
NZ Herald
Old Nov 8, 2006, 11:52 am

Editorial: Time for Air NZ to move on

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's draft veto of Air New Zealand's planned code-sharing agreement with Qantas should be the end of the matter. The airlines, having been thwarted yet again, should put thoughts of joining forces behind them and concentrate on their respective operations. Yet Air NZ, in particular, seems loath to concede the game is up, saying it was "flabbergasted and astounded" by the commission's decision. If such is the case, it says little for either its perspicacity or regard for the travelling public....
NZ Herald
Old Nov 8, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Does the closure of CHC call certer means Airpoints service centre will be moved to Auckland?
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:26 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Fyfe self-downgrades

I found this amusing, but it's not really news...

A colleague just informed me that Theresa Gattung wanted to fly on the inaugural AKL-PVG flight, but of course J was already full. Apparently Fyfe self downgraded to allow her to have his seat in business, and he flew in economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.