Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Buying Airpoints so you can use the Airpoints elite upgraded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Airpoints so you can use the Airpoints elite upgraded

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2024, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf
Don't count toward status, can't "top up", no bonus, horrible transfer rate ...

With all the North American destinations now, it seems this could be an avenue for NZ to make some money off of us by having a North American branded credit card.
Would a US bank actually be interested? No scale of economy?

Would the revenue outweigh the costs? Branding, advertising, etc.

Even in Aussie they don't have a dedicated card. Only transfer options. And with Aussie guess more Airpoints members and, with the exception of Kiwibank, all the NZ banks have an Aussie parent so would have someone to open the door for them.

https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/card-partners
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Would a US bank actually be interested? No scale of economy?

Would the revenue outweigh the costs? Branding, advertising, etc.

Even in Aussie they don't have a dedicated card. Only transfer options. And with Aussie guess more Airpoints members and, with the exception of Kiwibank, all the NZ banks have an Aussie parent so would have someone to open the door for them.

https://www.airnewzealand.com.au/card-partners

Air France, British Airways, etc have cards in the US, so there's that for whatever it's worth.
Australians have access to the *A card and can transfer points through it to a number of *A programs, including NZ.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:49 pm

Air France, British Airways, etc have cards in the US, so there's that for whatever it's worth.
Australians have access to the *A card and can transfer points through it to a number of *A programs, including NZ.
For 2024 summer
BA to US 28 Airport pairs up to 329 weekly flights
AF to US 27 Airport pairs up to 203 weekly flights

AirNZ to US 4 cities is like 15 weekly

So yes they have cards but the scales are at least an order of magnitude different.

Yes know the *A card and was included in the transfer points option.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:18 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
It's amazing how many more benefits/advantages NZ-based Elites have compared to Elites in other countries, especially considering we often have to do all our earn via flying as we are not eligible for credit cards.
North America is credit card heaven. I don't see why anyone would be interested in Airpoints given its vastly low value compared to others. Even in Australia, Commonwealth Bank terminated NZ as a transfer partner a couple of years ago given the low transfer volume. And there is Amex that constantly runs transfer bonus to other programmes but never Airpoints probably because nobody cares.

I suspect in Australia there are more active Avianca Lifemiles members than Airpoints members.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
It's amazing how many more benefits/advantages NZ-based Elites have compared to Elites in other countries, especially considering we often have to do all our earn via flying as we are not eligible for credit cards.
It's no different for your airlines. The cc rewards you can get in the USA if you flew with your local airlines far out strip what we can get here. Even our AMEX platinum isn't as good as yours and doesn't have the same earning potential.
​​​
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
thank you for this thread! I had no idea I could buy airpoints dollars! have a flight from China next week will try to get the upgrade now I can buy points, amazing value for $290 (y to y+) considering the fare difference is over $1000 (and yes I know its not guaranteed) but still

Hopefully they don't "enhance" this one away as per their usual style
Old Mar 17, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
If the upgrade is unsuccessful, you get your airpoints back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.