Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Buying Airpoints so you can use the Airpoints elite upgraded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond

Reading the articles it looks like elite Airpoints upgrade have a fair amount of success and save quite a bit of cost

Two questions
1:is the the Kiwi bank credit card the only way of buying Airpoints?
2:what is the cost of this ?
the low fee visa appears to be the best value as the fee is only $50pa

but as the earn is poor compared to the Westpac world card I would only use the card for buying points
​​​​​
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:56 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by Beano
Reading the articles it looks like elite Airpoints upgrade have a fair amount of success and save quite a bit of cost

Two questions
1:is the the Kiwi bank credit card the only way of buying Airpoints?
2:what is the cost of this ?
the low fee visa appears to be the best value as the fee is only $50pa

but as the earn is poor compared to the Westpac world card I would only use the card for buying points
​​​​​
Hi

i use Kiwibank Platnum. I am sure it’s 1:1 in terms of $ to APD. I bought a lot last year to buy companion tickets, then found children’s tickets were cheaper!

I think it’s the only way to buy APD.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 8:06 pm

Both Kiwibank credit cards allow APD top up. And Kiwibank is the only way to buy APD. Though if you have Above and Beyond points (or whatever you get from a travel card, you can also transfer to APD)

This covers the details:
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...dollars-top-up
Fliar likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Both Kiwibank credit cards allow APD top up. And Kiwibank is the only way to buy APD. Though if you have Above and Beyond points (or whatever you get from a travel card, you can also transfer to APD)

This covers the details:
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...dollars-top-up
Looks like it's just a $5 cost which is pretty good.
Yes the above and beyond account also creates points.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:44 pm

there's a few (daresay a lot of) people here that are utilizing the 3 differebt banks cards

1. ANZ for SP bonus
2. KB for APD buying, the non-plat should be enough if that's its main purpose
3. AMEX for primary APD accrual.

It's interesting because I get more than enough non-metal SP thanks to the ANZ bonus, but I don't think the spend-to-acquire-sp would even come close.
Alertalias likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by raznz
there's a few (daresay a lot of) people here that are utilizing the 3 differebt banks cards

1. ANZ for SP bonus

It's interesting because I get more than enough non-metal SP thanks to the ANZ bonus, but I don't think the spend-to-acquire-sp would even come close.
I have these 3 cards exactly for the purpose you describe. The AMEX is less used these days after the ANZ changes to the SP earn ( favours me as a flyer with low card spend).
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:42 am

and another way to think about the ANZ card is $150 for all those SP (bonuses) is a very very small price to pay.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Westpac world card

1. ANZ for SP bonus

Westpac world card for the Priority Pass .

So you need 4 cards
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:18 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
It's amazing how many more benefits/advantages NZ-based Elites have compared to Elites in other countries, especially considering we often have to do all our earn via flying as we are not eligible for credit cards.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:43 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by SeaProf
It's amazing how many more benefits/advantages NZ-based Elites have compared to Elites in other countries, especially considering we often have to do all our earn via flying as we are not eligible for credit cards.
It depends. If you live in the provinces and pay for J, rather than using upgrades, it's a bit like E-lite
​😀
Murihiku and Fliar like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf
All the other credit cards and ability to transfer points in the US > Airpoints CCs
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:11 pm

Outside of Aussie I would guess the number of international AirNZ members fairly low to even bother considering. Even then a number of them would have enough of an NZ link to still have a credit card or two back here.

I know plent5of people who have gone overseas and still run NZ credit cards (not day to day but to access money in NZ bank accounts easily (mainly when buying NZ stuff & trips to NZ)).
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Beano
Westpac world card for the Priority Pass .

So you need 4 cards
How many Priority Pass lounge entries does the Westpac World card allow? I couldn’t see this explicitly stated in the card’s t&c. The AMEX Plat allows only 2 free entries per year.

Edited: Any updates to the information in this thread: AIRPOINTS Credit Card (Westpac)
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:13 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
How many Priority Pass lounge entries does the Westpac World card allow? I couldn’t see this explicitly stated in the card’s t&c. The AMEX Plat allows only 2 free entries per year.

Edited: Any updates to the information in this thread: AIRPOINTS Credit Card (Westpac)
Seems to be no limit on visits, we use ours regularly.
Beano and Thai-Kiwi like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
All the other credit cards and ability to transfer points in the US > Airpoints CCs

Don't count toward status, can't "top up", no bonus, horrible transfer rate ...

With all the North American destinations now, it seems this could be an avenue for NZ to make some money off of us by having a North American branded credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.