Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Ouch! Unannounced $10 price rise for all domestic fares except Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ouch! Unannounced $10 price rise for all domestic fares except Seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by 40love
Wow, so are you saying that you get less for the same price but it's on a website that implies you are getting a deal/bargain?
See examples below.

X class $93 1$AP and 6 SP
F class $93 0 $AP and 3 SP

Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Wow, so are you saying that you get less for the same price but it's on a website that implies you are getting a deal/bargain?
Yes
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Definitely unethical and borderline breach of NZ consumer law. Wow.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:43 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Definitely unethical and borderline breach of NZ consumer law. Wow.
What is?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
What is?
Is the poster referring to the fact that the offering which technically could be considered inferior with less APD/SP on the ‘discount’ portal is sometimes no cheaper?
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox
Is the poster referring to the fact that the offering which technically could be considered inferior with less APD/SP on the ‘discount’ portal is sometimes no cheaper?
The discount portal has different t&cs which state different conditions one of those is APD & SP earn. They sell the flights on a different site to make it clear that different t&cs are in affect.

Just like an outlet store doesn't mean cheaper it means often cheaper but just collating end of lines and similar.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
The discount portal has different t&cs which state different conditions one of those is APD & SP earn. They sell the flights on a different site to make it clear that different t&cs are in affect.

Just like an outlet store doesn't mean cheaper it means often cheaper but just collating end of lines and similar.
I fully realise that there are separate t&c - where your analogy falls down is that you might be buying the SAME SEAT. It is often considered misleading to suggest that one’s offering a discount when there isn’t one (eg cases of RRP never being the price) and Grabaseat is promoted as a discount Portal.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is absolutely nothing misleading here and I'm not sure why anybody could even think there was.

If Air NZ were selling the same seats at the same time for the same flights as F class on the GAS website and X on the Air NZ website then that would be kinda dodgy (but certainly nothing illegal) but there is no overlap.

I've just booked a R/T to AKL in two weeks a few mins ago in F class at the $90 seat only fare fare level (except I paid $140 for flexichange each way) whereas the NZ website was $195 W class for those exact same flights.

The existance of GAS is actually screwing with Stats NZ airfare pricing as well because it's my understanding they are not using the GAS website for airfare monitoring and only the NZ website. The data the Airports Association tried to use yesterday from Infare is also skewed because it relies on GDS fare levels and GAS fares aren't available via GDS.

It'd be interesting to know how many people use the GAS website for actually booking flights. The first thing I do when I book any flight is to look on the Air NZ website and then search GAS. You don't even need to change websites to do that as once the session token is created you can just modify the URL ie search on the Air NZ website and you'll have a URL of https://flightbookings.airnewzealand...fsk=xxxxxxxxxx (where the x's are the session token) and then edit the URL to be https://flightbookings.grabaseat.co....fsk=xxxxxxxxxx and it'll refresh the page with any F class GAS fares. You can't do this the URL swapping the other way.
HighFlyingKiwi likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
There is absolutely nothing misleading here and I'm not sure why anybody could even think there was.

If Air NZ were selling the same seats at the same time for the same flights as F class on the GAS website and X on the Air NZ website then that would be kinda dodgy (but certainly nothing illegal)
I was going to say please read post 31 by Thai Kiwi which shows X and F at SAME PRICE but less earn via grabaseat HOWEVER looking closely again I see these examples used were actually DIFFERENT dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.