Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Ouch! Unannounced $10 price rise for all domestic fares except Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Damn. I know that Foran recently spoke to upcoming price rises (which I noticed had already sneakily happened several weeks before he was in the media).

But when did seat + bag increase to +$30, flexi-time to +$50 and flexi-change to +$70?
Old Mar 5, 2024, 4:45 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
This was sent to travel agents last week but I haven't seen any communication to the public.

Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm actually surprised they opted to focus just on add-ons rather than just continuing to manage pricing through fare bucket availability like they've been doing.

Maybe it gives a good indication of how many people are opting for flexichange/flexirefund to exploit the system and so they see it as a good opportunity to get an extra $10 off these people.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:40 am

Programs: Air New Zealand
$30 to take a ruddy bag!

Which means more and more people will try to take as much carry on as they can, cramming up the overhead lockers. $30 is a LOT of money just to take a bag, so we will see people trying to take full advantage of 7kg Carry On Allowance.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at JQ NZ for a CHC AKL flight in a few weeks time is a $30 difference between seat only and seat plus bag. (sample size 1)
Same $30 for plus fare "Change flight dates or time No change fee, Fare difference may apply"

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 5, 2024 at 12:20 pm
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
$30 to take a ruddy bag!

Which means more and more people will try to take as much carry on as they can, cramming up the overhead lockers. $30 is a LOT of money just to take a bag, so we will see people trying to take full advantage of 7kg Carry On Allowance.
Maybe they are going to employ a cabin baggage task force like JQ? JQ does pretty well out of there carry-on gate side fine I would say.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 12:55 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
For all their faults I do think JQ baggage policy of weight rather than number of items is a fairer system.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Most annoying thing about the pricing model is that I don't check in any baggage on 95% of my flexirefund flights
prp343, samjaynz and rtv4 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:36 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm actually surprised they opted to focus just on add-ons rather than just continuing to manage pricing through fare bucket availability like they've been doing.
I suspect they got the idea from US carriers that recently hiked their bag fees.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 5:46 pm

It'll be interesting to see what impact it had on carry on.

Air NZ are pretty limited with what they can do in terms of enforcement because gate checking bags is a complete nightmare with Avsec requirements these days.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:46 pm

Really hope this doesn't encourage more people taking carryon only.

Feel ok about the flexi bumps but watching people come onto the plane some people are already taking the piss really hope they do something to ensure the overhead Tetris doesn't get worse.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:52 pm

Re: overhead lockers - again that will come back again to how their priority boarding on domestic flights is non-existent.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:07 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
$30 for 2 bags for most people on flyertalk

Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
$30 to take a ruddy bag!

Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Most people? Really?

Also, while I do fall into the 2+ category personally, I also usually only check 1 at most (and typically zero) in spite of any allowance.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by raznz
Re: overhead lockers - again that will come back again to how their priority boarding on domestic flights is non-existent.
Priority boarding is simply a waste of time when you have so many flights were well over 50% of the plane would be eligible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.