Wiki Posts
Search

5h 30m layover in LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE
5h 30m layover in LAX

A quick Q and wasn't exactly sure where to post this! I'm arriving into LAX terminal B from AKL on NZ6 @ 13:20 and departing on VS0142 (also from terminal B I believe) bound for LHR at 18:55 and was hoping someone could confirm if my Star Alliance Gold status would suffice at gaining me access to the Star Alliance Lounge? I'm departing on a VS ticket so just want to be 100% sure. Thanks
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by frozenic3
A quick Q and wasn't exactly sure where to post this! I'm arriving into LAX terminal B from AKL on NZ6 @ 13:20 and departing on VS0142 (also from terminal B I believe) bound for LHR at 18:55 and was hoping someone could confirm if my Star Alliance Gold status would suffice at gaining me access to the Star Alliance Lounge? I'm departing on a VS ticket so just want to be 100% sure. Thanks
No it won’t. Star Alliance policy is that Lounge access is based on the next departure, so no access to the *A lounge if not departing on a *A carrier.

You may have access to the VS lounge under the NZ-VS joint venture (that may be only at SFO IIRC). Some posters here have reported success so have a search.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
No it won’t. Star Alliance policy is that Lounge access is based on the next departure, so no access to the *A lounge if not departing on a *A carrier.

You may have access to the VS lounge under the NZ-VS joint venture (that may be only at SFO IIRC). Some posters here have reported success so have a search.
I'm flying PE on both Air NZ and VA legs, and on the Virgin Atlantic website for LAX lounge it also states the Star Alliance lounge, so am effectively back at square one as won't have access included in my PE ticket.

I see you can actually buy access to the Star Alliance Lounge for $75 USD - I'm thinking this is probably the easiest way to go.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:25 am

Programs: NZ*S, QFF, Accor Gold
I'm flying PE on both Air NZ and VA legs, and on the Virgin Atlantic website for LAX lounge it also states the Star Alliance lounge, so am effectively back at square one as won't have access included in my PE ticket.

I see you can actually buy access to the Star Alliance Lounge for $75 USD - I'm thinking this is probably the easiest way to go.
You'll have two and a half hours in the terminal no matter what. From what I see you can onbly enter 3h before flight
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Isn’t the LAX lounge operated by NZ? On a single NZ ticket (is LAX-LHR NZ-coded?) I would at least try to get access. I have not tried that specific version, but have certainly had success with other *A lounges when the flight was *A coded and on a *A ticket
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: NZ*S, QFF, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
Isn’t the LAX lounge operated by NZ? On a single NZ ticket (is LAX-LHR NZ-coded?) I would at least try to get access. I have not tried that specific version, but have certainly had success with other *A lounges when the flight was *A coded and on a *A ticket
They said they are departing on a VS ticket, it doesn't have any NZ codeshares that I can see
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
They are in PE on VS, and not on a NZ-codeshare ex-LAX available according to ExpertFlyer, so no lounge access.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 2, 2024 at 12:49 pm
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZKNHB
They said they are departing on a VS ticket, it doesn't have any NZ codeshares that I can see
There is a NZ-codeshare on VS metal via SFO, where there is a cooperation arrangement. Read it all on the AirNZ web:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-o...lantic-airways

Old Mar 2, 2024, 5:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
The NZ/VS lounge arrangement appears to cover SFO-LHR vv. only. Also the VS website mentions nothing about the VS sector having to have an NZ flight number.

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/u...clubhouse.html

https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/u...re-lounge.html
Old Mar 2, 2024, 7:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus, Global Entry
Head straight out to the taxi stand, head to Venice Beach, eat, drink, people watch for two hours and head back to airport.
Beats any lounge at Lax
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:49 pm

Programs: NZ *E
And if you want to shower while landside, most of those LAX airport hotels are available on dayuse.com
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:24 pm

Aaah if flown this route many times. It’s a shame that AirNZ don’t connect into LDN anymore

Despite my best and attempts to charm the lovely folks at the virgin and star alliance lounge, I was unsuccessful.

I found myself at a bar near the terminal, and accidentally ordered a $100 nzd glass of very lovely wine… my only advice to you, if maybe don’t do that.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I too wouldn't hang around the terminal for that long even if I did have lounge access. I used to always do the NZ6/NZ2 transit so I had time to go to In-N-Out and watch planes before heading back to the lounge for a shower.

Beaches either North or South are a great way to get a little exercise and some polluted SoCal air to break up the trip.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I used to always do the NZ6/NZ2 transit so I had time to go to In-N-Out and watch planes before heading back to the lounge for a shower.
I second this, 20 minute walk each way to In N Out for animal style (if you know, you know)
sbiddle likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by adsho43
I second this, 20 minute walk each way to In N Out for animal style (if you know, you know)
Jeez to walk it in 20 mins you must have really been hangin out for it! 🤣
adsho43 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.