Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Airpoints Attrition - Just lost 12k points. Anything I can do to get them back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Between myself & my husband we’ve just lost over 1200 AirNZ airpoints. No notification whatsoever. In fact 8 days before they zapped them they sent hubby an email telling him how many points he’d got but no mention that they were about to be withdrawn.
Emirates always send out an email prior to zapping them but not so Air NZ.
Have phoned them & sent a dm via Twitter (X) but what else can I do?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DottyOne
Between myself & my husband we’ve just lost over 1200 AirNZ airpoints. No notification whatsoever. In fact 8 days before they zapped them they sent hubby an email telling him how many points he’d got but no mention that they were about to be withdrawn.
Disregard. I mis-read the problem.

What is your status level? Airpoints Status Points expire after 12 months on a rolling daily basis. So if you had a big period of travel activity 12 months ago they’d all just expire…

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 3, 2024 at 12:29 pm
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:55 pm

Programs: Airpoints
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
What is your status level? Airpoints expire after 12 months on a rolling daily basis. So if you had a big period of travel activity 12 months ago they’d all just expire…
That's what I thought about 12 month expiry (provided you are not holding a qualifying credit card where Airpoints do not expire). However I just checked the Airpoints Terms and Conditions and at 14 Airpoints Dollar Expiry, it appears to be four years after accural.
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...and-conditions
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:47 pm

Programs: NZ EP
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
What is your status level? Airpoints expire after 12 months on a rolling daily basis. So if you had a big period of travel activity 12 months ago they’d all just expire…
Airpoints expire after 4 years IIRC….

(assuming you meant status points above)
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:10 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
On my account page it is very clear they do not expire.
Is this due to being an Elite?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
On my account page it is very clear they do not expire.
Is this due to being an Elite?
Yep no expiry for Gold+, or with an Airpoints Credit Card
Old Feb 3, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Airpoints Dollars show the expiry in myairnz - like any loyalty program it's really up to you to keep track of these.

I'm interested how you got so many APD in one hit 4 years ago though - as they will only expire as the 4yr anniversary rolls over.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Airpoints Dollars show the expiry in myairnz - like any loyalty program it's really up to you to keep track of these.

I'm interested how you got so many APD in one hit 4 years ago though - as they will only expire as the 4yr anniversary rolls over.
When you cancel a card does it cancel based on earn date or date of card cancel?
Old Feb 3, 2024, 7:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by nzkarit
When you cancel a card does it cancel based on earn date or date of card cancel?
I actually hadn't considered that possibility. I'm guessing if you cancelled an Airpoints card and had points over 4 years that you'd lose then all at once.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:27 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by nzkarit
If I remember correctly, you have 1 month to spend what otherwise would have expired APD when you lose your Gold status, assuming it would be the same when you cancel a card.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

UK to NZ in Business Premier
Old Mar 29, 2024, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thread title "Airpoints Attrition - Just lost 12k points. Anything I can do to get them back?" So 12,000 airpoints?
1,200 or 12,000 airpoints?
Anyway as above look to be gone in accordance with t&c's

UK to NZ in Business Premier
In hindsight would have been better to a credit to a Star Alliance airline frequent flyer programme that you do/could fly on.
Orphan ffp's are low value
Old Mar 29, 2024, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

It was 1,200 (600 each). The point is that they didn’t forewarn us. In fact they sent an email congratulating us on being a valued airpoints member just 3 weeks after they had removed them. Why could they not email to say they were about to expire? Emirates emailed to give us a weeks notice of our airmiles with them expiring and we were able to use them to buy 2 return tickets to Brisbane.

Will stick to emirates when I fly to the UK later this year.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It was 1,200 (600 each). The point is that they didn’t forewarn us. In fact they sent an email congratulating us on being a valued airpoints member just 3 weeks after they had removed them. Why could they not email to say they were about to expire? Emirates emailed to give us a weeks notice of our airmiles with them expiring and we were able to use them to buy 2 return tickets to Brisbane.

Part of the reason that they don't is that you would literally be bombarded daily with emails saying that you would have points expiring. Your APD expire on a rolling 4-year basis. I'm Elite so my points don't expire. But when I look at my account activity and I see daily accruals of a few Airpoints 'Cents', I can just imagine how frustrated I would be getting emails telling me I have 0.38/1.12/0.75/0.63 APD expiring....
Old Mar 29, 2024, 6:52 pm

If you hadn't used in 4 years were you ever actually going to use them.

I have had a CC for years but pretty sure before then on the site it would tell you what was expiring. Thinking back a decade plus now.

Why do you expect a company to spoon feed you?

Also agree emails would be a pain with multiple emails a week would be more noise than helpful.

It is clear that it is 4 years rolling and there are plenty of ways to get non expirying like cards and status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.