Wiki Posts
Search

New Air NZ App

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2022, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
A couple of observations based on flying WLG-CHC-WLG:

- despite me checking-in online (web) for all 3 pax and printing BP at home, my sister’s app did not show her as being checking in until immediately prior to boarding. Presumably some weird syncing glitch.

- when polling the BP on the app there is an annoying (brief) apparent sync occurring. Happens off-line as well. As if the BP has not been downloaded.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by taupo
Can no longer manage booking which I could before for the same flights:

I have the same with some flights and can't manage through a web browser either. Suspect they just need a nudge as doing some digging my flights showing refer to ticket and/or can't manage through the app have 789->77W changes or changes on codeshares from regional to mainline.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by OpenSky

Also the very useful check in close time now is missing.
App still says check in close time. Only comes up once T-24h when checkin available. And pretty sure that was the behaviour in previous app.

Old Nov 13, 2022, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
App still says check in close time. Only comes up once T-24h when checkin available. And pretty sure that was the behaviour in previous app.

And once checked in shows bag drop time as previously.

Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:49 am

And once checked in shows bag drop time as previously.

And showing the standard boarding t

ime of 25min for an A320
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
On my S21 the boarding pass only fills ~75% of the screen so the QR code and text is a lot smaller than it should be. Anybody else see this on other devices?
This seemed to make scanning at the gate take multiple attempts on all the flights I have used it.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
My seat numbers have reappeared and also shows class
Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
I've had two domestic flights last week and was able to check-in, seat select etc. with no issues on the new app.
However had a minor issue checking in for a regional flight tomorrow (t-20 approx.) via the new app - option to Check in was disabled.
So attempted to do it via the web and despite being signed into my Airpoints account and the flights showing up in My Bookings page, when checking-in online for the flight on the website it asked me to enter my FF #.
Anyway, refreshed the app after that and I could view the mobile BP and status has changed to Checked in.
So still hit and miss at this stage.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbiddle
On my S21 the boarding pass only fills ~75% of the screen so the QR code and text is a lot smaller than it should be. Anybody else see this on other devices?
Per my screenshot up-thread, the QR code is a smaller matrix - fewer by about 8 ‘dots’.

Presumably the same information is encoded in the old and new sized formats - any ideas on the reasons why the QR matrix has been reduced?
Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by gambda
I've had two domestic flights last week and was able to check-in, seat select etc. with no issues on the new app.
However had a minor issue checking in for a regional flight tomorrow (t-20 approx.) via the new app - option to Check in was disabled.
So attempted to do it via the web and despite being signed into my Airpoints account and the flights showing up in My Bookings page, when checking-in online for the flight on the website it asked me to enter my FF #.
Anyway, refreshed the app after that and I could view the mobile BP and status has changed to Checked in.
So still hit and miss at this stage.
That sounds more like a backend issue than an mobile app issue as the web app was also having issues with the same booking. Also the mobile app doesn't really do check-ins it just spins up a webview to the web app to do the check in process.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Per my screenshot up-thread, the QR code is a smaller matrix - fewer by about 8 ‘dots’.

Presumably the same information is encoded in the old and new sized formats - any ideas on the reasons why the QR matrix has been reduced?
How sure the number of blocks in the Aztec Code (it is not a QR code) are less. My counting shows the width and the height has the same number of blocks.

But most 2D barcode have the ability to change the size (number of blocks). Can either store more or less data or have more or less fault tolerance.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. My counting shows the width and the height has the same number of blocks.
My point is that the QR images are distinctly smaller in the new app, with fewer blocks vertically/horizontally than in the old app.

I’ve re-posted the comparison pic below. Count the number of blocks each side of the largest square. Presumably the total QR code is square, so the same vertically.

New app has 9 (so 18 total)
Old app has 14 (so 28 total)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 16, 2022 at 1:10 am Reason: change dots to blocks
Old Nov 16, 2022, 12:54 am

Disappointing to see that they still have not worked out how to make Apple Wallet passes that automatically update, like most other ticket issuers & loyalty programmes. At one point the Apple Wallet had feature stopped working entirely for some months. So, I delved into the Pass that was being sent from the server and noticed that the signing certificate had expired three months prior! Given it was still not fixed and presuming that I would have little to no help from the Helpdesk, I did some sleuthing on LinkedIn and found someone who’s title sounded like the right person to fix it, emailed them and it was working again the next day (although they did not reply to my email) - coincidence I think not.
Thai-Kiwi and yotty like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
It's impossible to have "check in closed" for a flight that has not yet departed. Also the boarding time can't possibly be right - NZ1 has consistently left 1-2 hours late.
I offer no other comments, other than this image.

Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:41 pm

Just got an android update which brings back the widget. Is handy now one tap to next boarding pass.

Also changed the layout of boarding pass screen. So flight number no longer over two line (when use a larger font and display size)
Beckett66 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.