Wiki Posts
Search

NZ seat selection as *G

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Ellice
Thanks Thai kiwi for your advice and info. Just wondering, as an NZ Elite with several banked years, am I still allowed into the NZ lounge if I haven’t credited the booking to NZ airpoints or would I get turned away? I don’t see the point in crediting the earn to NZ airpoints program anymore. Especially with the Recognition upgrade system just being basically a lottery now, as has been discussed on here. Also doesn’t seem to be a lot of priority when ringing the call centre as an NZ Elite either.

As a current Elite you most certainly allowed into the lounge - providing your NZ ff# is used.

My ‘drama’ with AirNZ is that they have insisted that to use *G benefits I needed to be accruing to the program In which status was held (THAI’s ROP Gold), and so could not accrue to NZ - which was annoying as I wanted to build status on NZ whilst using my *G status with TG. Not aligned at all with *A protocols.

Anyway, now GE with NZ so it is all rather moot….
Ellice likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
As a current Elite you most certainly allowed into the lounge - providing your NZ ff# is used.
Sorry just to clarify, I’m thinking of crediting my earn to SQ from now on, so is my NZff still being used. I would book it on NZ site but change the Ff program. This is for flights on NZ metal.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ellice
Sorry just to clarify, I’m thinking of crediting my earn to SQ from now on, so is my NZff still being used. I would book it on NZ site but change the Ff program. This is for flights on NZ metal.
If using your SQ FF number, your BP will show your SQ status. Lounge entry will only work if *G on SQ or flying BP.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:14 pm

My ‘drama’ with AirNZ is that they have insisted that to use *G benefits I needed to be accruing to the program In which status was held (THAI’s ROP Gold), and so could not accrue to NZ - which was annoying as I wanted to build status on NZ whilst using my *G status with TG. Not aligned at all with *A protocols.
This has changed recently and their T&C's (https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...and-conditions) have been updated to reflect the change. In the below it used to say that you could "only specify one airline FFP in your booking and only access the benefits of that one programme", or wording to that effect. I've also recently checked with the lounge staff and they've confirmed they know of the new process.

Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
This has changed recently and their T&C's (https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...and-conditions) have been updated to reflect the change. In the below it used to say that you could "only specify one airline FFP in your booking and only access the benefits of that one programme", or wording to that effect. I've also recently checked with the lounge staff and they've confirmed they know of the new process.

Which is of course contrary to *A policies! The point being that showing the *G card from another program should provide lounge access. See the second bullet in the Lounge Access Policy screenshot below.

I have previously clarified in writing with NZ that for cases where Airpoints is not involved then showing a *G card of (say) SQ when accruing to (say) UA where no status is held, then lounge access is possible.

Whether Lounge staff will know this and allow access is another matter…

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 1, 2022 at 6:38 pm
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:48 pm

Which is of course contrary to *A policies! The point being that showing the *G card from another program should provide lounge access. See the second bullet in the Lounge Access Policy screenshot below.

I have previously clarified in writing with NZ that for cases where Airpoints is not involved then showing a *G card of (say) SQ when accruing to (say) UA where no status is held, then lounge access is possible.

Whether Lounge staff will know this and allow access is another matter…
That's exactly my point, you can have one FFP linked to the booking (and on the boarding pass), yet use the benefits of another program (i.e. showing your UA Gold card to get lounge access). If you wanted, you're able to now call the contact centre and get them to load the differnent programmes to FQTV and FQTS.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's exactly my point, you can have one FFP linked to the booking (and on the boarding pass), yet use the benefits of another program (i.e. showing your UA Gold card to get lounge access). If you wanted, you're able to now call the contact centre and get them to load the differnent programmes to FQTV and FQTS.
So in violent agreement that AirNZ has their own more restrictive policy on this.

However, the days of guiding NZ agents on FQTV and FQTS are sadly well behind us… at least 5 years ago that door was closed. Although it does remain ‘alive’ in AMADEUS.

Anyway, I’ve moved my earn to NZ as this is the best fit for my current flying patterns and have just hit GE.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 1, 2022 at 8:58 pm Reason: added amadeus comment
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:57 pm

So in violent agreement that AirNZ has their own more restrictive policy on this.

However, the days of guiding NZ agents on FQTV and FQTS are sadly well behind us… at least 5 years ago that door was closed. Although it does remain ‘alive’ in AMADEUS.
Apologies, I must be completely missing the issue. The policy is aligned to *A in that there are no resistriction anymore. You can use Air NZ as the FFP but use the benefits from other *A carriers. Isn't that what the issue was previously?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apologies, I must be completely missing the issue. The policy is aligned to *A in that there are no resistriction anymore. You can use Air NZ as the FFP but use the benefits from other *A carriers. Isn't that what the issue was previously?
AirNZ refuses to allow *G benefits if trying to accrue to Airpoints but holding status in other programs.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:41 pm

AirNZ refuses to allow *G benefits if trying to accrue to Airpoints but holding status in other programs.
That's where I believe we have different views. I know it wasn't allowed previously but is now and I've had confirmation of that.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:13 pm

That's where I believe we have different views. I know it wasn't allowed previously but is now and I've had confirmation of that.
Confirmation or actually done it?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Umm no the issue was you *could* previously do that but now you can't.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Confirmation or actually done it?
Spoken to lounge staff myself and have had a colleague do this last month.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spoken to lounge staff myself and have had a colleague do this last month.
Beyween Airpoints and another ff program?
Or 2 non-Airpoints programs?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:37 pm

Beyween Airpoints and another ff program?
Or 2 non-Airpoints programs?
They had Airpoints as their earning programme (i.e. loaded into the booking and are a Jade member), but accessed the lounge using their SQ Gold card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.