Wiki Posts
Search

NZ seat selection as *G

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by AviationNZ
They had Airpoints as their earning programme (i.e. loaded into the booking and are a Jade member), but accessed the lounge using their SQ Gold card.
Well, that is either a very recent policy change, or a mistake. I have seen the internal memo issued to staff in that provided direction to not allow this (can’t recall exactly when).

As recently as 24 Aug I was flying CHC-WLG and put my TG*G number into the booking to access the lounge. I was NZ*S at the time (but not far off NZ*G).

Leaving the lounge I stopped by the service desk and asked staff ti change to ff# to NZ. They wanted to know if I’d been in the lounge, and if so then they were not willing to make the change. I said I had, but was unaware of any publicised AirNZ policy forbidding this, and that I was trying to build status on NZ. They made the change.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Well, that is either a very recent policy change, or a mistake. I have seen the internal memo issued to staff in that provided direction to not allow this (can’t recall exactly when).

As recently as 24 Aug I was flying CHC-WLG and put my TG*G number into the booking to access the lounge. I was NZ*S at the time (but not far off NZ*G).

Leaving the lounge I stopped by the service desk and asked staff ti change to ff# to NZ. They wanted to know if I’d been in the lounge, and if so then they were not willing to make the change. I said I had, but was unaware of any publicised AirNZ policy forbidding this, and that I was trying to build status on NZ. They made the change.
No idea when the change was made. I wonder if it's a case that you wanted to change the FFP # linked to the booking, but if you had your NZ number in the booking from the start, and flashed your TG*G card whenever needed, that would've been fine.
Be good to hear from anyone else if they're in the same position in the near future.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
No idea when the change was made. I wonder if it's a case that you wanted to change the FFP # linked to the booking, but if you had your NZ number in the booking from the start, and flashed your TG*G card whenever needed, that would've been fine.
Be good to hear from anyone else if they're in the same position in the near future.
Well it hasn’t been fine in my experience 2018-2022 hence me communicating with AirNZ on their policy, and needing to muck around as described upthread.

More data points would be good as you say. Thanks for posting your experience.
AviationNZ likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:41 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
My recent experience with this. I have Gold with NZ but want to accrue with a different program. I asked the lounge agent and she said "That's no problem I'll just put your Airpoints number in the service line." aka FQTS. Very accommodating I thought and because I did this in between segments Domestic to International. My domestic flight stayed on Airpoints and the accrual was adjusted in my account from 10 to 8 status points. So it didn't treat the first segment as an international add-on, as the international flight disappeared from Airpoints earn. Now United is a whole other story... they said that using the lounge with my Airpoints Gold and accruing to another programme was considered double dipping...
Old Mar 6, 2024, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by johnnyfive
My recent experience with this. I have Gold with NZ but want to accrue with a different program. I asked the lounge agent and she said "That's no problem I'll just put your Airpoints number in the service line." aka FQTS. Very accommodating I thought and because I did this in between segments Domestic to International. My domestic flight stayed on Airpoints and the accrual was adjusted in my account from 10 to 8 status points. So it didn't treat the first segment as an international add-on, as the international flight disappeared from Airpoints earn. Now United is a whole other story... they said that using the lounge with my Airpoints Gold and accruing to another programme was considered double dipping...
Remarkable. And reverse experience with UA at LAX in mid-2022, lounge staff were very happy to allow me lounge entry based on my TG*G card and accrue to NZ when I was a lowly Silver. They just made a paper note rather than fiddle with FQTV and FQTS fields.

The email from AirNZ in mid-2022. This was after CHC lounge entry drama…

Kia ora Mr Tha-Kiwi,

Thanks for getting in touch regarding your Frequent flyer benefits.
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment at not being able to access the lounge.

The information provided by the lounge staff is correct. The Airpoints terms and conditions advise (section 10):

When you book your travel, you may only specify one Airline's loyalty programme or frequent flyer programme in your booking. Your loyalty or frequent flyer points will be credited to your chosen programme and you may only access the benefits of the chosen programme for that travel. For example, you cannot earn Airpoints Dollars or Status Points and use the benefits of another Airline's loyalty programme or frequent flyer programme.

If you wish to use your Thai membership to access the lounge then you will need to ensure this is the membership entered to your booking and not your Airpoints membership.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact Air New Zealand.

Ngā mihi,

Rebecca

Gold Service and Support - Email
Air New Zealand

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Mar 6, 2024 at 1:25 am
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
I entered the FF program where I have *G status when making my domestic booking on NZ. Interesting the seat map doesn't reflect that status in that they want to charge for seats. I guess I'll have to call in.

Will my boarding pass reflect that status for lounge entry? If not, will a digital membership card with Air Canada be sufficient?

Thanks....
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Explore
I entered the FF program where I have *G status when making my domestic booking on NZ. Interesting the seat map doesn't reflect that status in that they want to charge for seats. I guess I'll have to call in.

Will my boarding pass reflect that status for lounge entry? If not, will a digital membership card with Air Canada be sufficient?

Thanks....
So your AC *G wont provide any free seating or high customer value seating as this is not an agreed benefit within *A. Calling might get you a kind agent willing to seat you.

Your AC*G should show on the boarding pass for lounge access.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
So your AC *G wont provide any free seating or high customer value seating as this is not an agreed benefit within *A. Calling might get you a kind agent willing to seat you.

I just booked multiple NZ flights and no seating on site- called NZ and they did something and I was able to "manage my reservation" and choose the "elite" seats for free.

I did use my UA *G FF# and not my NZ Airports# when making the bookings.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 5:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Explore

Thanks....
*G does not provide access to preferred seating on any *A airline except your own. This is not a promoted *G benefit.

Some *A airlines do give you better seats if you ask but this is certainly not guaranteed and should not be expected.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by zebranz
I just booked multiple NZ flights and no seating on site- called NZ and they did something and I was able to "manage my reservation" and choose the "elite" seats for free.

I did use my UA *G FF# and not my NZ Airports# when making the bookings.
Yes NZ contact centre has the power to manually enable HVC seats for any PNR. I have had this done for my family if they are travelling on a separate PNR to me so they can seat next to me.

Sounded like you had a nice agent who did that as a favour, as many have pointed out HVC seating is not a *G benefit (albeit it had been a loophole in NZ's system for a long time)
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Just one thing to be aware of is that this potentially swapped your FQTV and FQTS to your AC FF# by doing this.

You'll get lounge access if it stays like this but if you are an Airpoints member and had any plans to accrue to Airpoints you'll need to check your Airpoints number gets loaded before the flight and as a consequence you will not get lounge access.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 9:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

Calling worked, with a bit of persistence. The agent initially asked if I'd reviewed the standard Star Gold benefits. She said I should select a seat online, and her screen showed there would be a fee. Then she thought to refresh her screen, and was able to assign a seat up front for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.