Wiki Posts
Search

NZ seat selection as *G

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2022, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, QF, VA
NZ seat selection as *G

I've booked an upcoming domestic flight with Air New Zealand and entered my United MileagePlus number (I have United/Star Gold status). Previously, when doing this the Air New Zealand website would give access to the frequent flyer seating at the front of the plane. However, all of these seats are blocked. It looks like the website is not recognising my status.

I'm assuming I'll probably need to call to get this fixed, but does anyone know what the issue is?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:09 am

Need to ring

The issue is it's not a *A requirement so it is no longer available on the site.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by MattAus
I've booked an upcoming domestic flight with Air New Zealand and entered my United MileagePlus number (I have United/Star Gold status). Previously, when doing this the Air New Zealand website would give access to the frequent flyer seating at the front of the plane. However, all of these seats are blocked. It looks like the website is not recognising my status.

I'm assuming I'll probably need to call to get this fixed, but does anyone know what the issue is?
Ring or message. As TG*G AirNZ has been very accommodating on seat selection - never any push back. The website was upgraded to remove this functionality sometime in 2019. Can still select FF seating at the kiosk during check-in if you can wait.

Rant. However, AirNZ are most stingy regarding other *G benefits. Example; if holding no status with NZ and looking to accrue to NZ (ie build status), and holding *G elsewhere, NZ will not allow lounge access by showing your *G card despite this being the Star Alliance protocol. NZ insists that accrual must be to the program that status is held. However, when I queried this they noted that this applies only to AirPoints and it would be acceptable to accrue to say SQ (no status), and show TG*G for lounge access.
/Rant.

Kia ora Mr Thai-Kiwi,

Thanks for getting in touch regarding your Frequent flyer benefits.
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment at not being able to access the lounge.

The information provided by the lounge staff is correct. The Airpoints terms and conditions advise (section 10):

When you book your travel, you may only specify one Airline's loyalty programme or frequent flyer programme in your booking. Your loyalty or frequent flyer points will be credited to your chosen programme and you may only access the benefits of the chosen programme for that travel. For example, you cannot earn Airpoints Dollars or Status Points and use the benefits of another Airline's loyalty programme or frequent flyer programme.

If you wish to use your Thai membership to access the lounge then you will need to ensure this is the membership entered to your booking and not your Airpoints membership.

Kia ora Mr Thai-Kiwi,

Thanks for getting in touch again.

I have checked with our Loyalty Manager, who has confirmed you should be able to have your Singapore Airlines frequent flyer number entered into your booking, and then show a valid Thai Airways Star Gold card to the lounge concierge.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 6, 2022 at 3:33 am
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As pointed out preferred seating is not a *G / *A benefit. While Air NZ do still offer this if you call and ask nicely they're under no obligation to do this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I've submitted an online form and will see if/how Air NZ responds.

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Rant. However, AirNZ are most stingy regarding other *G benefits. Example; if holding no status with NZ and looking to accrue to NZ (ie build status), and holding *G elsewhere, NZ will not allow lounge access by showing your *G card despite this being the Star Alliance protocol. NZ insists that accrual must be to the program that status is held. However, when I queried this they noted that this applies only to AirPoints and it would be acceptable to accrue to say SQ (no status), and show TG*G for lounge access.
/Rant.
That's really annoying. I've also run into this problem previously when I redeemed SQ miles for an NZ award ticket, but wanted to have my UA frequent flyer number in the booking to receive *G benefits. Because I'd booked using SQ miles, the SQ number was attached to the booking and I couldn't remove it online. Air NZ also refused to change the FF number when I contacted their customer service. They were able to do it at the airport though.

I note that in one of their responses to you Thai-Kiwi, Air NZ quoted the Airpoints terms & conditions. I'm not sure how the Airpoints terms & conditions come into it when I'm not even a member of the Airpoints program!
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I note that in one of their responses to you Thai-Kiwi, Air NZ quoted the Airpoints terms & conditions. I'm not sure how the Airpoints terms & conditions come into it when I'm not even a member of the Airpoints program!
The AirPoints T&C essentially state that only one ff program can be allocated for accrual, and that *A benefits from only that ff program can be accessed.

This latter aspect is the killer. Most other *A airlines have no issue with lounge access by showing one’s Gold card and accruing elsewhere. Especially given that accessing *A benefits is eventually charged back to the relevant program, so NZ isn’t bearing the costs. I really can’t agree with NZ’s stingy approach.

Anyway, I am now NZ*G so the issue is now moot for a couple of years.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 6, 2022 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbiddle
As pointed out preferred seating is not a *G / *A benefit. While Air NZ do still offer this if you call and ask nicely they're under no obligation to do this.
Don’t forget that the ff/preferred seatmap is also opened up for *Gs when checking in at the kiosk. That must be a remnant glitch….
Old Sep 7, 2022, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
The AirPoints T&C essentially state that only one ff program can be allocated for accrual, and that *A benefits from only that ff program can be accessed.

This latter aspect is the killer. Most other *A airlines have no issue with lounge access by showing one’s Gold card and accruing elsewhere. Especially given that accessing *A benefits is eventually charged back to the relevant program, so NZ isn’t bearing the costs. I really can’t agree with NZ’s stingy approach.

Anyway, I am now NZ*G so the issue is now moot for a couple of years.
This kind of nonsense (and the generally poor value) is the reason why I have never bothered to join Airpoints and don't go out of my way to fly NZ!
Old Sep 14, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
call them

I called and had no issue selecting seats YVR-AKL.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I called and had no issue selecting seats YVR-AKL.
Yes, as others have already noted upthread. But is a pity this glitch was closed off.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: AC*E50K
Apparently free seat selection of any kind is no longer available to *G (I have AC*G and no NZ status). I sent a WhatsApp message and they wrote "Star Alliance Gold members do not have the benefit to be seated in the complimentary frequent flyer seating in front." I'm sure it has been a benefit on the website in the past.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:40 pm

Does UA give preferred seating to NZ Gold? If they do not, and my understanding is that they don't these days, (not before check in anyway, like NZ) why would you expect NZ to provide it to UA Golds?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Access to preferred seating hasn't been a published *G benefit for many many many years. Air NZ seemed to still offer it but I don't think any other *A carriers did.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Access to preferred seating hasn't been a published *G benefit for many many many years. Air NZ seemed to still offer it but I don't think any other *A carriers did.
In September 2019 I had a domestic flight on Poland on LOT in Y (they don't seem to sell J domestically) and I got 'preferred' seats as NZ*G. Interestingly, my two companions (neither of whom had any status) received it as well as we were all on the same PNR.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 7:54 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Thanks Thai kiwi for your advice and info. Just wondering, as an NZ Elite with several banked years, am I still allowed into the NZ lounge if I haven’t credited the booking to NZ airpoints or would I get turned away? I don’t see the point in crediting the earn to NZ airpoints program anymore. Especially with the Recognition upgrade system just being basically a lottery now, as has been discussed on here. Also doesn’t seem to be a lot of priority when ringing the call centre as an NZ Elite either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.