Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge in SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Lounge in SYD?

Is the Air Zealand lounge in SYD international open now? Flying SYD to SFO on United in November.The hot dogs were the best part of the return home.
Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yes, I was in there four weeks ago, though it wasn't open when I turned up from a very early arrival. Had to hang around until 06.00(?IIRC) but it was fully functioning even back then. I was on an 09.30 flight to AKL and it didn't get uncomfortably full.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by mmack
Is the Air Zealand lounge in SYD international open now? Flying SYD to SFO on United in November.The hot dogs were the best part of the return home.
Thanks
Yes, definitely open and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the hot dog stand was dropped about 5-6 years ago (or maybe more) when they redesigned the new lounge.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Suggest you arrive at the airport as early as possible though. A friend this morning checked in 3 hours before departure and the security lines took him 2 and a half hours. When he got past security it was final call. I experienced the same last Easter and looks like things aren't getting any better. There is no longer any Priority line.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Suggest you arrive at the airport as early as possible though. A friend this morning checked in 3 hours before departure and the security lines took him 2 and a half hours. When he got past security it was final call. I experienced the same last Easter and looks like things aren't getting any better. There is no longer any Priority line.
There is a priority lane but it's reserved for business and first only - airline status won't get you through any quicker.

When I flew out 3 weeks ago it was the Monday of school holidays and queues were crazy at the airport. As the queue now routinely extends out of the immigration area and into the check-in area when I was there they were pulling a lot of people of the queue at one point for selected flights and moving them to the priority lane. This resulted in a lot of grumpy people in the priority queue who were in business and first wondering why this was happening.

I know a few people who have flown through in recent weeks and queue times to get through immigration and security have been between 60-90 mins.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I was there last week. The food options were lackluster but the space was really nice. The Singapore SilverKris lounge next door had better food, but the space was smaller.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
In Sydney, I like to eat food at the KrisFlyer lounge, and then relax in the Air NZ lounge (if not overly crowded) with a coffee.
mad_atta and poopbunny like this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It's weird. I flew a Qantas domestic to international connection through SYD about two weeks ago. My domestic flight circled a few times before landing and I felt sure I would miss my SYD-AKL connection. The bus dumped us at the bottom of the international stairs of the connections path. I walked briskly up stairs and entered the immigration hall for the e-gates: no pax at all. I then flowed through to security and was at the front of the queue to load my stuff through x-ray. This was about 09.30 in the morning. I went from fearing a missed connection to spending 30 minutes having a coffee in the QF F-lounge.
The unpredictability of processing is extreme.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
The SQ lounge also has champage (and generally better wine selections) if that's important to you. NZ coffee definitely better though.

Re SYD security processing time, I'm a bit anxious about my SYD-WLG this Friday, which is a 9.40am departure so right at the morning peak. The last two times I've flown out of there it's been a sh*t show and I've had no lounge time despite arriving in good time. I have an upgrade requested for this flight (I'm on QF as it happens) but odds of it clearing are very slim so I fear it's going to be a very early start for me.

Last edited by mad_atta; Jul 26, 2022 at 12:18 am
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:58 pm

If you're talking about the old Air NZ hot dog stand they used to have... they haven't had that for 5+ years.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
Back in 2018, the lounge in Auckland had an ice cream stand (Appleby Farms) during the summer, and ever since then, I keep hoping to see it come back, but alas, I never saw it again. It sounds like your beloved hot dog stand!

My other love from the Air New Zealand lounges is the candy jars and marshmallows usually up near the barista or bartender. I'll be flying through both Auckland and Sydney next week, should be I prepared for disappointment? I loved the little licorice balls (BBs?)!
mad_atta likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The marshmallows were in AKL intl lounge when I visited. Haven't been in syd lounge since it re-opened.
jewree likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:40 pm

Marshmallows also present in AKL Dom, with choccy fish too!
jewree likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:32 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Marshmallows were in SYD lounge in May - no other lollies/chocolates, though.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: NZ *G
I’ll be there on Wednesday, so will have a look and see what I can find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.