Lounge in SYD?

Old May 21, 2024, 12:21 am

Programs: TK Elite, VA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Ex-Malev Platinum (RIP)
Thanks for this. Which is the better SYD *G lounge - SQ or NZ? Haven't used either since pre-Covid and have a *A flight coming up out of SYD.

Last edited by Aisleseater; May 21, 2024 at 12:22 am Reason: Punctuation.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:28 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Aisleseater
Thanks for this. Which is the better SYD *G lounge - SQ or NZ? Haven't used either since pre-Covid and have a *A flight coming up out of SYD.
What is important to you?

Space = NZ
Coffee = NZ
Food = usually SQ but NZ has it's moments. SQ for Asian oriented food, NZ otherwise.
Beverages = tie

I usually choose NZ because it's easier to find a good seat and the rest is good enough.
Aisleseater likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Aisleseater
The time you are flying is the most important factor. You may not actually have a choice.
djsflynn likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 4:23 am

they are next to each other, so go to the one that looks more comfy at the time
Old May 21, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
SQ lounge is fine but a tad bland and the food and beverage offering has definitely gone downhill in the last couple of years. That said, some of their wines are better than NZ's (the bubbly especially; NZ's is undrinkable), I like their productivity pods, and at the times I fly the SQ lounge is usually nice and quiet. Plus they often have a decent curry on offer.

The NZ lounge is much bigger, brighter and has more atmosphere (sometimes too much when it gets very busy just before the evening bank of departures to NZ). Barista coffee is excellent for an airport lounge, there's a nice manned cocktail bar later in the day, there's a manned cooking station at various times, and there's usually nice small bites and sweet food. The main dishes are much more variable - sometimes really good, sometimes really awful and bland. Drinks selection is adequate. Overall a decent lounge and vastly preferable to the annoying QF business lounge at SYD.

I tend to alternate between SQ and NZ lounges depending on my mood. They're 30 seconds walk from each other so why not try both and form your own conclusions
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 4:54 pm

I'm semi-regular at both the NZ and SQ lounges at SYD, my take is:

- coffee: SQ added a barista station (as well as finally boosting WiFi speed) a while ago but I still prefer the NZ coffee. (Flat white thanks.)

- booze: not really a drinker so can't comment except that I know some frequent flyers prefer SQ for the Champers and 'self-pour'.

- crowding: the NZ lounge, while larger than SQ's, can also be more crowded because it appears to be the go-to for pretty much all Star Alliance airlines flying out of Sydney (except SQ natch), so you get the steady level of passengers around the NZ schedule but on top of that you can have a dollop of passengers from Air Canada and United in the morning, ANA closer to noon plus the evening etc. The SQ lounge is almost entirely SQ passengers, so it steadily builds up ahead of each SQ flight and especially the A380s. Noise level are also part of this, I gravitate towards quieter lounges and the SQ lounge is generally quieter.

- food: NZ has greater variety and appears to have more emphasis on lighter healthier options, but the SQ buffet is very different from NZ offerings even at breakfast, so if both lounges are open, see which you prefer.

Last edited by djsflynn; May 27, 2024 at 6:03 pm
Old May 27, 2024, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by djsflynn
I'm semi-regular at both the NZ and SQ lounges at SYD, my take is:

- booze: not really a drinker so can't comment except that I know some frequent flyers prefer SQ for the Champers and 'self-pour'.

SQ tends to use the Mumm Marlborough Brut (NZ) for bubbles.
djsflynn likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 7:55 am

Programs: TK Elite, VA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Ex-Malev Platinum (RIP)
I went to both lounges - only notable difference in booze quality I thought, was the whiskey - NZ had the Johnny Walker Red, SQ had the Johnny Walker Black. Admittedly, not a big step up, but a step up nonetheless)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.