Lounge in SYD?

Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by mmonster
well, no expert here but gluten free require high standards at the kitchen and it cannot be served buffet style? I know of someone with the requirement and he will not eat anything unless the restaurant can guarantee it is free of gluten in its preparation. He always needing to check several times before he looks into any restaurants.
It can be done buffet style if all the prepared food is gluten free. As soon as there is something not gluten free, it becomes highly problematic and much too risky.

For example, most often I have encountered three hot items at breakfast in the lounges: eggs, hash browns and sausages. All are labelled gluten free and I have not had an issue. In the Dunedin lounge last month the hash browns were replaced with baked beans, which were not gluten free. The baked beans were placed in the same serving container divided into two parts with the sausages in the other side; the eggs placed in their own container. Due to the risk of cross-contamination, I could not eat the sausages. I felt the eggs were still safe enough to take the risk.

When you are coeliac, as I am, anytime you eat food prepared by another person it is a gamble. Even preparing food yourself in your own home is a gamble if another person lives there and eats food with gluten in it. Thus, it's all about risk-management.

With buffets, I have seen people place the serving spoon (or the serving thongs) for one item into a neighbouring item, which then contaminates the neighbouring item. I have seen people move the serving spoon with one item over the other item, which risks contamination if anything falls. If two items are in the same divided serving container, there is often spillage from one into the other, thereby contaminating the other item. Buffet lines are highly problematic unless all the items are gluten free. If they are all gluten free, then the risk is greatly diminished.

And for those who do not think this is a serious issue for some of us, the last time I accidentally ate gluten I ended up unconscious on a bathroom floor after my body very forcefully "evacuated" my entire digestive system.
Old Sep 5, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: air new zealand
Originally Posted by SeaProf
It

And for those who do not think this is a serious issue for some of us, the last time I accidentally ate gluten I ended up unconscious on a bathroom floor after my body very forcefully "evacuated" my entire digestive system.
My guy collapsed in the aircraft bathroom an hour after unknowingly eating something with hidden gluten in the Dunedin lounge. We would love it if Air New Zealand went gluten free across all hot items.
SeaProf likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:48 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by kathkiwi
My guy collapsed in the aircraft bathroom an hour after unknowingly eating something with hidden gluten in the Dunedin lounge. We would love it if Air New Zealand went gluten free across all hot items.
I would too.

The fact is it is fairly easy to go 100% gluten free if they wanted to. The problem is that it would cost them a bit more to do so, which is why I won't hold my breath.

edit: For the record, I'm in the AKL International lounge right now (flying to YVR) and all hot food items are gluten free. I do appreciate NZ making this effort as it makes a big difference.
Thai-Kiwi, mmonster and kathkiwi like this.

Last edited by SeaProf; Sep 6, 2023 at 12:53 am
Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:32 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Was in the NZ Lounge Sat evening. Food mediocre, however there was a chef making pan-fried teriyaki salmon and some stir fried veges.

Good light and views, but overall meh, and relocated to the Amex Centurion Lounge. SQ was going to be last but we couldn’t be bothered.
Thai-Kiwi how did you find the SYD "Centurion" lounge? I dared to get my hopes up when I heard it was being rebranded to Centurion and was supposed to be getting a facelift and upgraded F&B. However the couple of times I have checked in there it's been bitterly disappointing - no improvements to the design/ambience, still utterly bottom shelf booze, and what appeared to be a very basic buffet. Just orders of magnitude worse than the Centurion lounges in the US and elsewhere. Even the standard Amex (non-Centurion) lounge in MEX was an order of magnitude better.

It's been a few months since I last tried it - has it improved?
Old Sep 6, 2023, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Thai-Kiwi how did you find the SYD "Centurion" lounge? I dared to get my hopes up when I heard it was being rebranded to Centurion and was supposed to be getting a facelift and upgraded F&B. However the couple of times I have checked in there it's been bitterly disappointing - no improvements to the design/ambience, still utterly bottom shelf booze, and what appeared to be a very basic buffet. Just orders of magnitude worse than the Centurion lounges in the US and elsewhere. Even the standard Amex (non-Centurion) lounge in MEX was an order of magnitude better.

It's been a few months since I last tried it - has it improved?
I was a guest, but was not impressed. No change from what you have described.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
That's a shame, but I thought as much. The fact that you chose to stay there rather than go to the NZ lounge made me wonder whether it had improved (for all the NZ lounge has many disappointing aspects, it is MUCH better than that Amex lounge).

It amazes me that Amex tarnishes their Centurion brand in this way, when for the most part they seem to be quite serious about maintaining high standards for elsewhere. Why not just leave it as a regular Amex lounge instead of doing this signage and name only upgrade to Centurion?!
Old May 17, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Is the Air New Zealand lounge in SYD closed? If so, are the SQ lounges in the same terminal for international flights? The Star Alliance finder describes them as being in Terminal 2, not Terminal 1.
Old May 17, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Silver
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Is the Air New Zealand lounge in SYD closed? If so, are the SQ lounges in the same terminal for international flights? The Star Alliance finder describes them as being in Terminal 2, not Terminal 1.
SQ and NZ lounges are right next to each other in the international terminal T1. Must be a typo on the website.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:07 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
And no, the NZ lounge isn't closed.
Old May 17, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
The NZ lounge in SYD has one of probably the longest operating hours in the International terminal. Itís basically open all day long.
Old May 17, 2024, 4:53 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
SQ and NZ lounges are right next to each other in the international terminal T1. Must be a typo on the website.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
And no, the NZ lounge isn't closed.
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
The NZ lounge in SYD has one of probably the longest operating hours in the International terminal. Itís basically open all day long.
Thank you all - I guess I really shouldnít trust the Star Alliance lounger finder as it was wrong that the Air NZ lounge is temporarily closed and wrong on the location of the SQ lounge.

Old May 17, 2024, 4:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
T1 is the international terminal.. So it's kinda correct and incorrect all at the same time.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Thank you all - I guess I really shouldn’t trust the Star Alliance lounger finder as it was wrong that the Air NZ lounge is temporarily closed and wrong on the location of the SQ lounge.
Have you provided feedback to the Star Alliance webmaster on the inaccuracy? Nothing will change unless folks follow-up in some way.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:33 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Have you provided feedback to the Star Alliance webmaster on the inaccuracy? Nothing will change unless folks follow-up in some way.
Worth trying, but if my experience is any guide, you'd be wasting your time.

The response to a simple correction was clearly a template answer to something else, like they'd never read what I wrote.
Old May 20, 2024, 2:59 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Silver
I sent a screenshot with feedback via messenger. No one's read it yet but it could be the weekend still for them.
Used their website feedback option too.

I don't care enough to pursue it any further though.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.