Wiki Posts
Search

Refunds due other travel restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: NZ*E
OK goes on to state that wi

Originally Posted by moondog
The pre March 30 language? If not, that isn't so useful for the pOP.
I agree. Most of the replies here relate to changes made after AirNZ cancelled the flight, in this case the flight went ahead but the traveller was forced to cancel. However the correct section quoted by the OP goes on to state that with bookings made through a Travel agent, any enquiries about refunds etc should be made through them. Unfortunately for the OP that is where the situation rests.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K
CGA act is the law

I don’t doubt people are getting pushed to accept credits but the law is the law.

I have personally had a refund from AirNZ declined (Tickets Auckland to Asia return) then the decision reversed after I quoted CGA.

I also know of others who have prevailed by quoting CGA.

If people are happy with a credit then great but if they want a refund it’s their right to insist and there is a very simple low cost remedy via disputes tribunal to enforce it 😁

Last edited by Kiwi_FF; Apr 25, 2020 at 3:33 pm
Old Apr 25, 2020, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kiwi_FF
I don’t doubt people are getting pushed to accept credits but the law is the law.

i have personally had a refund from AirNZ declined then the decision reversed after I quoted CGA.

I also know of others who have prevailed using this.

If people are happy with a credit great but if they want a refund it’s their right to insist and there is a very simple low cost remedy via disputes tribunal to enforce it 😁
It is shameful that New Zealanders are having to seek relief from US and EU authorities for tickets they purchased in New Zealand and using New Zealand financial arrangements.

As the US and EU have done with air carriers, New Zealand needs to direct NZ to cease mucking around and to promptly issue refunds where they are due.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: NZ *Gold
Wonder if this might help?

So on another post the following link has been posted:

https://www.airnzagent.com/covid-19-...ibility-policy

The language for refund eligibility for flights before 31 March is subtlety different, in that it states customers affected by government imposed travel restrictions, rather than flights affected. It also gives agents a “blanket authority” code for use in processing the refund.

Full text below:

Flexibility on International tickets for travel between 5-31 March 2020

For all customers regardless of ticketed date affected by a Government imposed COVID-19 travel restriction, for travel up to and including Tuesday 31 March 2020:
  • Request a full refund with no penalty including any associated products such as prepaid baggage, seating.
  • Any previous change costs (change penalty, additional collection) are also refundable.
  • Change fee is waived and the below applies to additional collection:
    • If travelling on an Air New Zealand aircraft, they may change their travel to the same destination without additional collection regardless of the booking class available. Travel must be in the same cabin. If the same cabin is not available then fare difference applies.
    • Travel booked on other airlines must be booked in the correct / original same booking class.
  • Tickets that are currently held in credit under existing flexibility policy within this category are also eligible for the refund.
Blanket authority - AUTHNZA153504 to be entered as an OSI for all refunds for travel prior to Mar 31, 2020
Select ‘Refund/change due to coronavirus’ in the endorsements box
Old Apr 29, 2020, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
RedVee that policy document is for the North American market. There are separate, and different policies for each market.

Australian market here: https://www.airnzagent.com.au/covid-...ibility-policy

NZ here: https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/covid-1...ibility-policy
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: NZ *Gold
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
RedVee that policy document is for the North American market. There are separate, and different policies for each market.

Australian market here: https://www.airnzagent.com.au/covid-...ibility-policy

NZ here: https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/covid-1...ibility-policy

Thanks for that. So the NZ link says:

Flexibility on International tickets for travel between 5-31 March 2020

For all customers regardless of ticketed date affected by a Government imposed COVID-19 travel restriction, for travel up to and including Tuesday 31 March 2020:
  • Request a full refund with no penalty including any associated products such as prepaid baggage, seating.
  • Any previous change costs (change penalty, additional collection) are also refundable.
  • Change fee is waived and the below applies to additional collection:
    • If travelling on an Air New Zealand aircraft, they may change their travel to the same destination without additional collection regardless of the booking class available. Travel must be in the same cabin. If the same cabin is not available then fare difference applies.
    • Travel booked on other airlines must be booked in the correct / original same booking class.
  • Tickets that are currently held in credit under existing flexibility policy within this category are also eligible for the refund.

which appears to be the same?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Hi there, just need a bit of advice. Myself and my wife have got AKL-PPT return flights booked for early July. We used 2x Recognition Upgrades and some Airpoint dollar upgrades to go from Premium Economy to Business, all of which are confirmed.

If the flights are cancelled and we receive credit for the fares, I’m guessing the Airpoints used for the upgrades will get re-credited to us? But, not the Recognition Upgrades? As they expired in mid-March.

Would I be better off requesting the flights are changed to a later date and ideally they would transfer the upgrades over to the new dates too? I just don’t really want to lose my Recognition Upgrades. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Under normal circumstances your RUs would be lost. I don't know if NZ are doing anything different at present.

Does you flight fit into the category of having unlimited free changes? If it does and you did change it to a future date where R class is available they should be able to move them across. You could then potentially look at another change shrewd things are clearer to a date that might be more suitable.

They certainly used to have the ability to do things with an RU after they have expired if they wanted - I had the scenario a few years ago where I gifted my 2x shorthaul RU (the Xmas gift one) to family who then subsequently had a flight cancellation due the 787 issues. As I got the notification I rang and asked if both could be transferred to some existing seat only fares ex WLG to take them to WD and they were happy to do this. Clearly YMMV.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
I had a multicity TT AKL/PER/ADL/AKL with upgrades applied for early May. Knew it would not be a goer, so pushed it out to Sept with upgrades going across with the change.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Location: Wellington/Dunedin/Auckland/Africa/Pacific Islands/Geneva
Programs: NZ*E
Just an update on original post. OTA refunded full amount back to my card this week. Took nearly a month and a half but happy I’ve had a positive outcome.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:36 am

I have return flights to NZ booked for 25th June, from Heathrow to Auckland, transiting in Singapore. I return on July 18th. The trip was booked through the Air New Zealand UK website but all flights are with their codeshare partner, Singapore Airlines. At present Air New Zealand are only offering flight credits for flights up to July 31st, not refunds. My question is, am I entitled to a cash refund under the CAA guidelines? I obviously leave from and return to an EU country, but would my flights between Singapore and Auckland be eligible for a refund under these regulations? Incidentally, I have not received any confirmation that the flights have been cancelled yet, but on the Singapore Airlines June flight schedule, my outward flights are not mentioned. They have not yet released the schedule for July. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 6, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by dancingfan
I have return flights to NZ booked for 25th June, from Heathrow to Auckland, transiting in Singapore. I return on July 18th. The trip was booked through the Air New Zealand UK website but all flights are with their codeshare partner, Singapore Airlines. At present Air New Zealand are only offering flight credits for flights up to July 31st, not refunds. My question is, am I entitled to a cash refund under the CAA guidelines? I obviously leave from and return to an EU country, but would my flights between Singapore and Auckland be eligible for a refund under these regulations? Incidentally, I have not received any confirmation that the flights have been cancelled yet, but on the Singapore Airlines June flight schedule, my outward flights are not mentioned. They have not yet released the schedule for July. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If your flights are still showing as operating, then the normal refund rules would apply.

If SQ cancels the flights leaving London, then NZ must provide a refund under EU261 as they are the ticketing carrier. In order to be entitled to a refund, you unfortunately will need to wait until the flight leaving London has actually been cancelled.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to be clear, EC 261/2004 only applies to the operating carrier. It does not apply to the ticketing carrier. It may well be down to having to eventually chargeback through your credit card issuer (bank) where it will all get sorted.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
Just to be clear, EC 261/2004 only applies to the operating carrier. It does not apply to the ticketing carrier. It may well be down to having to eventually chargeback through your credit card issuer (bank) where it will all get sorted.
EU261 applies to the ticketing carrier when it comes to refunds. The reason for this is that the operating carrier has nothing to refund, per se, as operating carriers generally do not get paid by the ticketing carrier until after the passenger is uplifted. Furthermore, the amount that the operated carrier would be paid would be less than what the passenger paid to the ticketing carrier. When it comes to compensation under EU261, this is applicable to the operating carrier. When you read the regulation, anything relating to compensation/rerouting etc. refers to "operating carrier". Whereas when referring to reimbursement, there is no mention of "operating carrier".

I was in a similar situation last year where I flew FRA LH SIN SQ AKL. The FRA-SIN flight was operated by LH but was codeshared with SQ and was cancelled. LH advised that they are not responsible for the refund but were for compensation. Once raised with SQ, they provided a full refund immediately and even specifically mentioned EU261.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
If your flights are still showing as operating, then the normal refund rules would apply

If SQ cancels the flights leaving London, then NZ must provide a refund under EU261 as they are the ticketing carrier. In order to be entitled to a refund, you unfortunately will need to wait until the flight leaving London has actually been cancelled.
Many thanks for your reply. My outbound flights are no longer showing on the Singapore Airlines flight schedule for June. At present, they are not sending any flights to NZ at all. In your opinion, does this indicate that the flights are cancelled or will I be officially notified by the airline?

Also, would my flights from Singapore to Auckland (and Auckland to Singapore) be covered by EU261?

Many thanks for your advice - I really appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.